What's new

In absolute awe of the new G5A

First, the AP G5A is not to be confused with the FS G5 that was also released recently.

I'm amazed, boys. Amazed. The moment I picked up the brush it was immediately obvious just how similar the fibers are to the Muhle/EJ STF. Anybody who has used a STF will understand my enthusiasm. In fact, fiber for fiber, I am unable to distinguish and difference between the two. The following picture is an attempt to show this similarly...
IMG_20210816_212743933.jpg

1)Softness: Just like a STF the G5A is supremely soft. Now, of course, any synthetic is going to have soft tips, but we don't build lather with just the tips. It's during splay that the face feel of a brush is decided and, just like the STF, the G5A is virtually just as soft while splayed as it is while painting. Not only is it soft, but it is a unique kind of soft.

2)Splay: I once more have to compare the G5A to the STF here. Most synthetics have a certain "all or nothing" kind of splay where, once applying enough pressure, the brush will abruptly go from not splaying to completely splayed. The G5A doesn't do that. It's more like a natural hair brush with a very intuitive splay that gives and takes in correspondence with the amount of pressure being applied. The G5A is tied with the STF as the smoothest splaying synthetic I've ever used.

3)Backbone: This is where the parallels with the STF part ways. The STF's only misalignment with my personal preferences was the backbone. They were a bit floppy for two reasons... loft ratio and density.

3a)Ratio: Where STFs were slightly longer lofted than other brushes of equal knot diameter, the G5A is a bit shorter lofted. I'd guess my 24mm as being between 50 and 55mm.
3b)Density: The only thing the STF lacked was density. Especially the non extra-large(25mm) variants. This has been addressed with the G5A in that it's much, much more dense. This density also helps with water retention which is excellent. Absolutely excellent. I suspect it has something to do with the non-linear fiber technology and surface tension, in any case...it's superb. Lather generation efficiency is fantastic even for a synthetic.

Beyond this, the brush and handle are well built and sturdy feeling, if not a bit heavy Very comfortable handle to hold. Though you can, of course, choose which ever handle you prefer from the site. The build quality is excellent and the brush has not lost one single fiber. Not one.

I'll sum it up by saying that the G5A is a STF on steroid, an AD killer and the single finest shaving brush available to the modern market.

Thx for the review @SterFry !
Did you try the Simpsons Chubby 2 or M7 synthetic, and the Omega Evo, and how would you compare them to the G5A ?

On the website : The hair on the G5A is very similar to that of other big name high end synthetic knots. For reference, it’s most similar to the Omega EVO, and similar to the Simpsons Platium Grade synthetic.

Thx for the review @SterFry !
Did you try the Simpsons Chubby 2 or M7 synthetic, and the Omega Evo, and how would you compare them to the G5A ?

On the website : The hair on the G5A is very similar to that of other big name high end synthetic knots. For reference, it’s most similar to the Omega EVO, and similar to the Simpsons Platium Grade synthetic.
I have not tried the M7. I've used the chubby synthetic and Evo and the G5A is definitely more similar to the Evo. I didn't like the chubby but only used it once years ago.

Last edited:
Very nice! the STF is my only synthetic and I enjoy it quite a lot. It’s lather machine

From the looks, this G5A does look similar to the Omega Evo fibers with the curly hair. Nice to see Maggards selling smaller knots too.

APShaveCo says this and the G5B black fiber both come from Germany, I’d assume from BASF. Muhle also offers a black fiber in some of their brushes, making me wonder if they use the same supplier. The prices are also higher than your typical Chinese-made synthetic

Very nice! the STF is my only synthetic and I enjoy it quite a lot. It’s lather machine

From the looks, this G5A does look similar to the Omega Evo fibers with the curly hair. Nice to see Maggards selling smaller knots too.

APShaveCo says this and the G5B black fiber both come from Germany, I’d assume from BASF. Muhle also offers a black fiber in some of their brushes, making me wonder if they use the same supplier. The prices are also higher than your typical Chinese-made synthetic
Having used the STF, EVO and now the G5A I'm pretty certain that's the case. Different specifications but the same supplier.

I got one, too. Very soft and great backbone for me. However, mine may be set too low and doesn’t splay normally, kind of not at all. Still makes great lather, but the high density and lack of splay mean that my Plisson gen 2 synth still has better flowthrough and may be a bit more efficient. The fibres look pretty similar, btw. Maybe the same knot with a higher loft will be super sweet for me. The AP Shave sand ebonite handle is STUNNING.

I got one, too. Very soft and great backbone for me. However, mine may be set too low and doesn’t splay normally, kind of not at all. Still makes great lather, but the high density and lack of splay mean that my Plisson gen 2 synth still has better flowthrough and may be a bit more efficient. The fibres look pretty similar, btw. Maybe the same knot with a higher loft will be super sweet for me. The AP Shave sand ebonite handle is STUNNING.
Mine was like that at first, too. After a dozen uses it opened up some. Especially after I set the knot for a higher loft.

Having used the STF, EVO and now the G5A I'm pretty certain that's the case. Different specifications but the same supplier.
Between the three brushes two are currently available for purchase that I like.

Between Evo and AP G5A which do you think is better set (loft, floppies and splay)?

Last edited:
That sounds pretty good. I think
some makers set their synth knots too low, especially if you want it to splay. Simpson Trafalgar line comes to mind.

That is the reason why I never went for the Trafalgar series. I don't like too much backbone for my synthetic brushes.

AFAIK, 2:1 ratio is minimum for loft and knot for good balance of backbone and splay.

I have Razorock Beehive (28 mm x 63 mm) = too floppy and a RazoRock Noir (24 mm x 57 mm) = feels good but too soft and less dense than I want.

Trafalgar seems to be too 'strict' in feel and I like some pampering, for times when I want to get some scrubbing I'll use my SOC.

By chance my SOC Boar is set exceptionally lower than advertised, it is set at 48-49 mm instead of 55 mm.

With the splay of SOC I think I got a great brush because it doesn't feel very sloppy and still give me wall of bristles feel with some scrub.

Last edited:
I have come to believe that synthetic brushes are particularly sensitive to loft. One illustrative example was a TurnNShave Full Moon knot that I set in a Duke 2 handle. I was disappointed in the way the brush performed; it was difficult to splay and unforgiving. Another member here suggested I reset it at a higher loft. I did so, and it improved the characteristics of the brush much more than I would have thought.

I agree with @Contact_vs_Feedback regarding the Trafalgar brushes. I sold my T2, but I would buy another one if they sold the brush unassembled so that I could find my preferred loft

@izlat what size knot and what loft is yours set at? @SterFry you said yours performs better after you set it at a higher loft, what is yours set at now?

I have a G5A that should be here next week, it’s a 26mm and thinking 52mm loft to start so curious what yours are at. Thanks in advance gents

@izlat what size knot and what loft is yours set at? @SterFry you said yours performs better after you set it at a higher loft, what is yours set at now?

I have a G5A that should be here next week, it’s a 26mm and thinking 52mm loft to start so curious what yours are at. Thanks in advance gents

Not sure and am not home to check but I know it was the AP ‘suggested’ default loft. The know is listed at 24 but looks a bit fuller to me. I’d say that you explicitly ask for the higher than recommended loft

I bought a G5A from APSHAVE yesterday and left Andrew a note to use his discretion both on size of knot (the handle can apparently take 24 or 26mm) and loft. We'll see what I get! It was a nice little "Moe/eagle" style handle on a sale price. Looking forward to trying it.

Top Bottom