What's new

In absolute awe of the new G5A

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Ah, this makes sense! I don't splay mine unless I am painting, I like to keep the brush compact when building my lather. I was laughing last night when I almost sent the lather flying, now I see how easy that would be. I don't have mine under tension is the only reason I haven't re-decorated my walls! :biggrin1:

I hope you took my above comments as merely trying to interpret what you were getting at, not that anything is right or wrong. I still haven't bowl lathered mine, you are ahead of me on that one. But my loft is lower, so we both have brushes that fit each of us.

When you almost sent the lather flying? Well, I sent my lather flying, flies like LRod's airplane, right into wall, sink, or even my mirror once. Its easier to do then you might think, I am glad you've discovered the hilarity of this hobby when using a G5C lol. Its an interesting hobby we have, its quite the journey lol. 😝

Yep, I've been a bowl lather'er since I discovered I couldn't whip up a lather properly within the Tabac's soap puk bowl. Believe it or not, that is how I started my hobby, trying to whip up a lather within the Tabac. And believe it or not, there was a time or two that I was somewhat successful! Bot most times, I failed lol.

Lathering in a bowl is so much fun Arron, you got to try it. You load your brush with soap, and or, scoop up some lather with a spoon, and put it in a bowl. Put a couple teaspoons of water in the bowl to start, and then begin whipping it up. You swirl it around like you arm is attached to a machine! You whip it so fast, that sometimes you launch a spec of lather out of it. Weeeeeeeee!

And then once you get your lather just right, Yogurt consistency, makes me hungry enough to actually eat yogurt I tell ya. Then you apply it to your face, and enjoy your face massage hehe. Then, here comes the razor, do do do do, come remove thy whisker, its alright.

When you almost sent the lather flying? Well, I sent my lather flying, flies like LRod's airplane, right into wall, sink, or even my mirror once. Its easier to do then you might think, I am glad you've discovered the hilarity of this hobby when using a G5C lol. Its an interesting hobby we have, its quite the journey lol. 😝

Yep, I've been a bowl lather'er since I discovered I couldn't whip up a lather properly within the Tabac's soap puk bowl. Believe it or not, that is how I started my hobby, trying to whip up a lather within the Tabac. And believe it or not, there was a time or two that I was somewhat successful! Bot most times, I failed lol.

Lathering in a bowl is so much fun Arron, you got to try it. You load your brush with soap, and or, scoop up some lather with a spoon, and put it in a bowl. Put a couple teaspoons of water in the bowl to start, and then begin whipping it up. You swirl it around like you arm is attached to a machine! You whip it so fast, that sometimes you launch a spec of lather out of it. Weeeeeeeee!

And then once you get your lather just right, Yogurt consistency, makes me hungry enough to actually eat yogurt I tell ya. Then you apply it to your face, and enjoy your face massage hehe. Then, here comes the razor, do do do do, come remove thy whisker, its alright.
Part of what I find so humorous is how each of us assumes a role on this website and over time we change roles and somebody new comes along and assumes that role. I was a bowl evangelist right up until you came along and I still think it superb with MOST soaps. I remember trying to convince lifetime face latherers that they were missing out! Ha, now I am trying face lathering because I have a bunch of soaps/creams that do work better that way and because I like a change. Whenever you think you have everything figured out, and you might, you go and do something different and that can pull you all kinds of unexpected directions!

I would think strategically versus just buying random and hoping to eventually narrow it down. It takes too many purchases even if they are cheaper than natural hair.
I’m definitely trying to be strategic, I have zero interest in building up a collection or rotation of brushes.

I started with the Starcraft on the premise that 24mm is a mid-size knot. And it was good advice. I learned that my brush should be <= 24mm. I like that it splays, but wouldn’t mind if it was scrubbier.

Then I bought an 18mm Timberwolf from Maggard’s for travel. It’s perfectly adequate for it’s purpose, but having used it a couple times for comparison, my primary brush should be > 18mm.

It feels like ~22mm might be the sweet spot. I’m really not sure about bulb vs fan though. I face lather, and fan seems generally preferred for that, but far from universally. Problem is, I haven’t found a single synthetic fan under 24mm. Not a single one. No G5, no G4, no STF, nothing. And since it does seem pretty well accepted that a fan feels bigger on the face, it doesn’t make much sense to try a 24mm fan. Again, trying to be strategic.

So if I CAN find a 22mm-ish fan that seems decent, I’d give that a try. Or if there’s a good reason, I might give a 22mm bulb a try. But until then, the Starcraft is a perfectly adequate brush that I do like well enough and it does what it needs to, so if it’s my brush for the next few years, well, I’ll be ok with that too!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I’m definitely trying to be strategic, I have zero interest in building up a collection or rotation of brushes.

I started with the Starcraft on the premise that 24mm is a mid-size knot. And it was good advice. I learned that my brush should be <= 24mm. I like that it splays, but wouldn’t mind if it was scrubbier.

Then I bought an 18mm Timberwolf from Maggard’s for travel. It’s perfectly adequate for it’s purpose, but having used it a couple times for comparison, my primary brush should be > 18mm.

It feels like ~22mm might be the sweet spot. I’m really not sure about bulb vs fan though. I face lather, and fan seems generally preferred for that, but far from universally. Problem is, I haven’t found a single synthetic fan under 24mm. Not a single one. No G5, no G4, no STF, nothing. And since it does seem pretty well accepted that a fan feels bigger on the face, it doesn’t make much sense to try a 24mm fan. Again, trying to be strategic.

So if I CAN find a 22mm-ish fan that seems decent, I’d give that a try. Or if there’s a good reason, I might give a 22mm bulb a try. But until then, the Starcraft is a perfectly adequate brush that I do like well enough and it does what it needs to, so if it’s my brush for the next few years, well, I’ll be ok with that too!

I got some advice for you, probably the best advice I can give you, and this is for trying to make your life easy. PM @apshaveco and tell him what you are looking for. Tell him you want him to make you a synthetic brush in a 18mm knot. He has some handles that can use an 18mm knott. So, just have a look what is available on his site. He can custom make you a brush with that 18mm knot, and you can give you a fan knot if you want. A custom job will cost you probably around 30 dollars for the brush.

His name is Andrew, and he made my brush, and since he did such a darn good job of it, I am highly recommending him. So this is my suggestion, and I hope this advice makes your life easier. Good luck!

I kind of knew that you weren't looking to build a collection, hence my comment. You are going to have a hard time finding a modern synthetic in anything less than 24mm, let alone a fan. I had the same goal several months ago, gave up a few times and ultimately settled on this 24mm G5C. I believe you can get a 24mm fan and handle and have them set for under $20 and that might be a worthwhile idea if you are uncertain about the size and shape. Or you could just get a Simpsons...

Boti on their aliexpress store sells plenty of synthetics 22mm and handles they will mount for you if you want, they also have one fan synthetic that looks similar to the g5 fibers. Only thing is shipping will take about 3 weeks for you to get it.

I got some advice for you, probably the best advice I can give you, and this is for trying to make your life easy. PM @apshaveco and tell him what you are looking for. Tell him you want him to make you a synthetic brush in a 18mm knot. He has some handles that can use an 18mm knott. So, just have a look what is available on his site. He can custom make you a brush with that 18mm knot, and you can give you a fan knot if you want. A custom job will cost you probably around 30 dollars for the brush.

His name is Andrew, and he made my brush, and since he did such a darn good job of it, I am highly recommending him. So this is my suggestion, and I hope this advice makes your life easier. Good luck!
Thanks, I’ve never seen any synthetic fans under 24mm on his site before, but I’ll look again later today when I have a chance. He definitely makes some nice brushes!

Boti on their aliexpress store sells plenty of synthetics 22mm and handles they will mount for you if you want, they also have one fan synthetic that looks similar to the g5 fibers. Only thing is shipping will take about 3 weeks for you to get it.
Thank you, I’ll take a look there too! 3 weeks doesn’t bother me, I’m not in any rush.

I kind of knew that you weren't looking to build a collection, hence my comment. You are going to have a hard time finding a modern synthetic in anything less than 24mm, let alone a fan. I had the same goal several months ago, gave up a few times and ultimately settled on this 24mm G5C. I believe you can get a 24mm fan and handle and have them set for under $20 and that might be a worthwhile idea if you are uncertain about the size and shape. Or you could just get a Simpsons...
If I don’t find a 22mm G5C/fan I like, then being strategic might eventually go out the window and I’ll spring for a 22mm G5A/bulb or a 24mm G5C/fan. But I like the look of the Starcraft and it performs just fine, so I’m trying to resist the urge for now.

Wow, they sure do! $25 shipped it looks like, not bad. I'll probably grab one of these, after deciding on a handle and perseverating for an appropriate amount of time. Thanks!

Much as I'd love to get a G5 AP Shave brush, it doesn't look like there's anything smaller than 24mm unfortunately, at least right now.

Wow, they sure do! $25 shipped it looks like, not bad. I'll probably grab one of these, after deciding on a handle and perseverating for an appropriate amount of time. Thanks!

Much as I'd love to get a G5 AP Shave brush, it doesn't look like there's anything smaller than 24mm unfortunately, at least right now.
I didn't have time to look through the available handles, but the knot that I found was $6! Pretty neat that you can get a knot in 1mm increments, tough part is not ordering 3 brushes to get the coupon. 😬

I didn't have time to look through the available handles, but the knot that I found was $6!
They have a bunch. None that I love, but a few that I like. (I absolutely love the blue lagoon one that you and @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker got. It's got a great, distinctive color without being too loud for me.)

The knot is $6 + $6 shipping, then $16 - $2 coupon for my most likely handle.

Pretty neat that you can get a knot in 1mm increments, tough part is not ordering 3 brushes to get the coupon. 😬
LOL I need to not think about that!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

@T Bone Thats strange, cause just yesterday, I saw a few handles listed as 18mm knott capable, so I went to the site today, and now I can't find any, as if the site information got changed in a day! This is why I really suggest you PM Andrew, our APShaveCo vender on B&B, and get direct support. Here is the link to make it easier for you.

Just click the link, and click on start conversation. I wouldn't move onto another brush source, until you have at least spoken to Andrew at least once. If he can't help you, then the next step, will be moving on over to Rudy Vey Brushes, which is also a vendor here.

To date from what I can remember, the Cashmere and Faux Horse are the only knots Albert has sold in 22mm...

As to the G5A,B, or C it is really a shame that these knots are made so short and is probably the only reason I have never purchased one. I know the knot can't be set to work for me as I like my brushes in the 56-58mm loft so they are easier to splay without too much backbone. I know what I like and what will work for me and these won't. It's all good though because that, to me, is also why I've never been able to order any of the STF knots as they aren't able to be set in the higher loft either.

To date from what I can remember, the Cashmere and Faux Horse are the only knots Albert has sold in 22mm...

As to the G5A,B, or C it is really a shame that these knots are made so short and is probably the only reason I have never purchased one. I know the knot can't be set to work for me as I like my brushes in the 56-58mm loft so they are easier to splay without too much backbone. I know what I like and what will work for me and these won't. It's all good though because that, to me, is also why I've never been able to order any of the STF knots as they aren't able to be set in the higher loft either.
If you can procure a handle from elsewhere, you can make it happen. Mine is set at 10mm, with a 24mm that gives you 55mm loft. But consider that even with 12mm depth, the handle has no effect on the knot. I have tested this.

If you can procure a handle from elsewhere, you can make it happen. Mine is set at 10mm, with a 24mm that gives you 55mm loft. But consider that even with 12mm depth, the handle has no effect on the knot. I have tested this.
3 of my 4 handles are set 56-58mm loft so 55m won't work for me. The knots I have I believe all were in or around 76mm overall height where the G5's are all 65mm or shorter...

Given my experience with the G5C, I have an 'old' 24mm AP Synbad that was too floppy for me. Since I have a 26 mm handle to use (with a bore depth of 20mm), I now also plan (in the future) to play with that handle, synbad knot, and depth/loft to see if I can get it to work. Who knows? I do like the adventure and ability to experiment.

If I were to recommend a general knot to anyone, it would be Maggard's SHD two-band. Hard to go wrong putting that natural hair knot in any handle. But I think I'm comfortable with my natural hair brushes (famous last words). Just trying to find the right synthetic one or two for my face-lathering self. Why? If for no other reason, synthetics are the best to take when traveling.

EDIT: When I say floppy, I think now I mean it won't splay. When the hairs are 'long' and it won't splay, the knot just flops on its side and moves around my face. I'm hoping that controlling height with width, I might be able to get things that didn't splay for face-lathering to splay with a different configuration. Or I'm just trying too hard.

For the Turn n Shave 26mm Quartermoon (my favorite prior to the G5C, but not quite dethroned yet), it can splay with a tiny bit of extra push, but it's also a tiny bit too soft and 'long'. Perhaps this is why it's been my favorite. Just sharing my brush thoughts for all to ponder. I know I'm no expert.

Last edited:
Just sharing my brush thoughts for all to ponder. I know I'm no expert.
That's how we all learn from each other. I would get tired of coming here to post if I didn't have other people's experiments to read and think about. That 20mm is a hilarious depth, I want at least one photo with a knot all the way down. I am still thinking about pulling my G5A out, but the handle was literally made for it's depth and I don't want to have to send it back to be drilled. But I am thinking about it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have to say.... I still just love my Omega Evo 1.0... the handle feels nice... and the knot is amazing. I thought my ESC Ultimate G4 was the standard for synth brushes..... but as much as I hate to admit it... the Omega Evo tops it by just a smidgen.

Top Bottom