What's new

Importing cigars to Australia

Australian here. It was customs and don't believe a word of their bull****. Ask them for their proof. They won't be able to suply it. They may supply a photo of them cut, but that's not proof they didn't do it. Time and time again I hear of cigars coming into Australia, opened by customs, cut down the middle (to check for whatever) then a bill for duty. This story is NOT unique, they are trying to worm their way out of it. Stick to your guns for all of us who face this situation. If we all push against them they may finally stop cutting our cigars up.

Down here in the apple island I reckon that's exactly what they are aiming, cut it completely.

I'm pretty sure the anti-tobacco crowd here in the U.S. would do the same if they could. One major problem for them is Native Americans use tobacco for religious ceremonies. Only allowing Native Americans the right to use tobacco would be discriminatory and wouldn't fly either. Thank you Native Americans because of them I can enjoy my tobacco.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
We also live in ‘Murica where we don’t like Nannies telling us what is good or bad for us. :lol:.

Yep, it always amazes me what people in other countries will put up with. Another country that still has freedom is the Philippines. A pack of cigarettes costs about .60 cents and 750ml of booze runs about $3.00, beer about .50 cents. Vice is alive and well! :a14:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If I can stuff myself with 5 bags of Cheetos and have a bacon cheese burger for breakfast surely I can smoke a cig!?

Hey I feel your pain. When I started smoking Cuban Cigars years ago, a box cost me about $180 Aus. That was for good Partagas Aristocrats or Romeo and Juliettas. NOW the cheapest box you can but here is over $700 Aus! I found Aristocrats at Bangkok airport for $220 Aus duty free last year and I went to buy a couple of boxes. All was well till they saw my Australian passport. "Sorry, you're only allowed to import TWENTY FIVE GRAMS of tobacco products!" Twenty Five ******* grams! What are we, children? Then it was $900 odd dollars a kilo if you tried to sneak through and got caught. NOW duty is $1076.35 Aus per kilo of tobacco products to import! As Dad used to say haggling at the fruit markets, "******* TOUCH me don't maul me!"
I'm thinking of taking up a pipe just coz it might work out cheaper, but even so, 50 grams here is between 70 and 90 dollars. And we just take it...

Just wanted to add in my recent experience. 4 packages over two years (each with less than 12 sticks and no boxes) and only 1 got caught. I paid the duty as overall, the range and quality (i.e. no plain packaging) of imported cigars are worth it. I think I got lucky. Have a fifth order coming soon from a different supplier and Murphy's law says it will get picked up!

Just wanted to add in my recent experience. 4 packages over two years (each with less than 12 sticks and no boxes) and only 1 got caught. I paid the duty as overall, the range and quality (i.e. no plain packaging) of imported cigars are worth it. I think I got lucky. Have a fifth order coming soon from a different supplier and Murphy's law says it will get picked up!
Where do you buys yours from friend, I ordered from Puro but they got taxed.

Top Bottom