What's new

Importance of a 2nd Chance

The first time I used Proraso ASB, I did not like it all... I didn't care the smell or texture and I washed it off and used my usual Proraso pre/post.

I used the Proraso ASB for the 2nd time today and I loved it.

I think the key reasons for the change are my expectations... I was expecting something a lot closer to the pre/post the first time I tried the ASB and they are no where close to the same product.

I think this just illustrates the importance of using a product at least two times, if not three, four, or twelve times before coming to a final conclusion... especially if you are going post your opinion which may influence others.

Just my 0.02.:001_smile

That is some excellent advice, Aaron. I personally like to use a product for several consecutive days, move on to something else, and then come back to it again before passing judgment on it. Even following this process, however, I have found a product or two that when revisited several months later, have performed dramatically different than I remembered. Because of this, even if I hate a product, I will revisit it on several occasions over time to see if my tastes or my experience level has changed such that the product becomes good or desirable.

Everything deserves a second chance - well, everything other a crappy blade. :biggrin: I threw away my supermax blades (well, posted them to Jonnybc) after a single pass... that's right, I didn't even finish the shave. I guess that was a little impetuous or something.

On the flip side, I have found that there a products that I thought were great upon first that my view of diminished upon subsequent use.

Sometimes a positive first impression has a lot to do with the novelty factor.

I agree on giving things a second chance, I also try and only use one new product at a time, and I make shure that I use it with a setup that normally gives me great results.
Cheers, DJ.

I think what all of the splendid experiences here point out is to not be quick to judgement. While I always enjoy the pronouncements of suitability or the lack thereof, a somewhat more measured approach is probably called for, and in most of these cases should probably carry the exculpatory YMMV.:001_rolle

I agree as well to give a second chance. Sometimes coming to an early conclusion can make you miss out the things you really love the most.

ada8356 said:
I think this just illustrates the importance of using a product at least two times, if not three, four, or twelve times before coming to a final conclusion... especially if you are going post your opinion which may influence others.

Just my 0.02.:001_smile

Too True!

Yeah, as far as giving second chances, I gave the mach3 a second chance.

Never again...I looked like someone tried to murder me when done...the styptic pencil had to be re-wetted 5 times and applied lengthwise to cover the entire area that was bleeding. The entire front of my neck was shredded, and the lower cheeks had some problems.

....goes to show even a brand new cartridge blade may be sharp, but still utterly craptastic. Next time I have the urge to use anything but my straight (short-term travel), I'll use a BIC Metal...if I can find them anywhere. At least those performed well.

I don't mind giving aftershaves a few tries though. I've done that for years. I still fail to see why anyone likes British Sterling...is there a scent at all, or did I just get a bad bottle?

You must have my face! I have the same experience with multi-blade villains.

My mom used to see me like that and want to take me to the hospital. No joke.

I have a weird concave thing going on with the my neck on each side of the throat, that makes it very hard to get a razor in there without cutting myself.

This is the main reason I am experimenting with straight razors, I want the added control of an unguarded blade. The Bic Metal is a nice razor, but that's in part due to how little guard it has.

catatonic said:
I have a weird concave thing going on with the my neck on each side of the throat, that makes it very hard to get a razor in there without cutting myself.

This is the main reason I am experimenting with straight razors, I want the added control of an unguarded blade. The Bic Metal is a nice razor, but that's in part due to how little guard it has.
Steve,
With regard to straights and that concave section on either side of the adam's apple, make sure you give one of the old WB's or similar Sheffield steel 'smiling' razors a try. The oh so slight curve to the blade does wonders for accessing those tough spots. In addition, they are fabulous shavers.

Ed

Top Bottom