What's new

Imperia la Roccia

Most of the small ones are intended for use as polishing stones for mold makers and the like, or sharpeners for small tools The larger of the 'small' pieces can be used as a hone if you pay attention. The full size stones are tempting but not at eBay prices.

I know jewelry/watch repair guys that use the ruby matchsticks to do things. Eeeeh,
even if they were cost effective and readily available, don't the gems feel really dead under the razor as you go?

I see a bit of negative here about stones the writers have not tried. Are the thurys and eschers not slate? Totorlekiller mentions microns, are you measuring the suspended particles from the slurry? There are 4 main characters of the way any hone cuts. Size of grit, hardness of grit, shape of grit and pressure exerted by the worker, assuming other technique from the worker are consistent. Size of grit alone means very little, that is why the grits stated by the well known manufacturers rarely jive with each other. That is why some stones of the same grit may produce a softer or harder edge. Ultimate results from any hone is in the hands of the worker, and the most obvious results are rarely the only possible results. One person here tried his slate stone only with clear water. That leaves out the most usable part of any slate stone. Not every worker can get the most from every hone, on every blade. Judging the capabilities of a hone from a single razor would be like judging your driving skills by following you for a single block.
Best regards to all, just my 2 cents
My grit estimate is based on the scratch pattern comparison with well calibrated synthetic stone (king, Naniwa, Norton, Shapton).

I know jewelry/watch repair guys that use the ruby matchsticks to do things. Eeeeh,
even if they were cost effective and readily available, don't the gems feel really dead under the razor as you go?
I have a ruby that is 1" by 3". Using it requires doing small rotative motions. It works so well at erasing Scratches marks ranging from King 1K to Norton 8K that I have been tempted to get the full size one and see how it would work as a proper hone.

Back to the small gems stones, I have many razors that were honed solely on those little things after bevel was set.
Progression is King 1K for bevel on full size stone. Then ruby, Jade, orange Agate. I used to do the Finishing on a brown Agate. I am now experimenting with a Pink one that seems similar in grit to the Brown and a purple one that seems a tad thinner.

I was hoping that a 15K natural stone would give me a smoother edge than the Agates, but that did not happen. Not even close.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
What's the feedback like on those gem stones? Is it completely glassy or does it have some draw? Does it vary between the different stones?

My grit estimate is based on the scratch pattern comparison with well calibrated synthetic stone (king, Naniwa, Norton, Shapton).

Thanks. Didn't know, and often helps to qualify things. Are you using pics from a microscope? Can you determine depth as well as width? Just curious as I have found that the sharpest edge is not necessarily the most comfortable.

Last edited:

My 'beryl' had a red side, they called it ruby. It's just sintered corundum. I think the beryls, jades, agates and so on are all sintered something or another.. The red one I had was about 3k or so, cut like a demon on oil, like carp on water.
The alleged beryl was fine - a decent stone. Nothing to write home about. Probably tops out between 8-10k JIS.
The auction site sellers keep everyone entertained with their ridiculous stories of natural this and high grit that, it's kinda funny actually. They're commercial polishing stones for mold makers, engravers, etc.
But - you can make them work if you want to. They just don't go the distance that the sellers claim. Not for our purposes anyway.

They're not gems, and not natural - just commercial synthetic stone. The red one is dead as a doornail. The beryl had some life. Haven't tried the fake agate yet. There's a few cool looking ones out there, but you can't pick the stone you want so it's up to the seller and who knows what'll show up. Saw an interesting blue/white one with a wave pattern and a black/white mottled one too.

I already had the chunk cut into roughly 3" x 5" slabs. I need to lap them. I never could find anyone who had used it to hone with, so I shelved the project.

Look in this sub forum for the 'making a hone' thread - in there you'll find many posts about Jasper slabs being used.

How thick are the slabs?

What's the feedback like on those gem stones? Is it completely glassy or does it have some draw? Does it vary between the different stones?
There is a little feedback.
When you start on the jade, you feel a little scratch that goes away after a while. I then move to an agate and get a little scratch again until it goes away.
Not as much feedback as a Shapton glass stone though.

Sure - Jasper too - some can work, others can mess up the edge. Trial/error time there.
I've had edge mess up problems on stone I am trying out, which is why I have a few that works that I am sticking too and a few I have not even tried.
Since this is the last step of the honing, one bad stone, and you are back to resetting the bevel.

A lot of the issues I've had with the agates are the surrounding raw stuff.
The ones that are cut into little rectangles don't have those issues.

I've also tried picking up random stones in the wild and lapping them and this has proven less successful. At least the agate have a pretty clean surface once lapped.

My 'beryl' had a red side, they called it ruby. It's just sintered corundum. I think the beryls, jades, agates and so on are all sintered something or another.. The red one I had was about 3k or so, cut like a demon on oil, like carp on water.
The alleged beryl was fine - a decent stone. Nothing to write home about. Probably tops out between 8-10k JIS.
The auction site sellers keep everyone entertained with their ridiculous stories of natural this and high grit that, it's kinda funny actually. They're commercial polishing stones for mold makers, engravers, etc.
But - you can make them work if you want to. They just don't go the distance that the sellers claim. Not for our purposes anyway.

They're not gems, and not natural - just commercial synthetic stone. The red one is dead as a doornail. The beryl had some life. Haven't tried the fake agate yet. There's a few cool looking ones out there, but you can't pick the stone you want so it's up to the seller and who knows what'll show up. Saw an interesting blue/white one with a wave pattern and a black/white mottled one too.
So here are the agates I used ordered by grit (top one is finest)
$Agates.jpg
The bottom 2 I bought on eBay from one of those sellers. Some how I do not think they are synthetic (agate is neither rare nor expensive after all), but I have no way to prove it.
The bottom grey one is about 10K, same as a Jade, so I typically do not use is as the jade works fine. The agate cuts faster, so on some swedish steel for which the jade does not do much, I use it a bit to get things started and then polish on the Jade.
The orange one is good. It gives me something thinner than my Shapton 16K (rated at 0.9 microns). I like it as it does not have any border and give me a reliable polish.
The next one up is the pink one and that one is definitely natural. I think I have lapped it properly, but still I'd feel better if the raw border was gone. It is a bit thinner than the orange one but does not cut as fast.
The one above I call the brown one, but it has an composite structure. It was my finishing stone until a few weeks ago when I tested the purple one and found it to be even thinner.

So here are the agates I used ordered by grit (top one is finest)
The bottom two are the types I'm referring to that see being sold out of Asia. Fleapay, yes - but other places also. Sometimes they're sold as 'Pulpstone'. They 'could' be agate out of the ground, but it would be highly unusual to cut Agate like that and see it as we do. I'm leaning toward sintered something or another. I've had direct dealings with one of the wholesalers, translation was difficult at times but I did get the feeling that all of what he was selling, which was stones like those bottom 2, is man-made.
The other thing is that I also see stones sold as 'agate' that is obviously not Agate; crazy colors, patterns, etc. The 'ruby' stones are obvisouly sintered, same for the blue ones. There were black ones also.
But - sure, they could be natural. No way to know for sure.

Now that - is sweet. Nice work. I kept looking for slabs of something that thick, and rectangular, but nothing turned up. Very cool. Pix needed!

Last edited:
Here we go. The jeweler who cut this for me measured the hardness at 7.3, so it's a tad harder than the other chalcedony blends(agate, jasper, chert, flint, etc.). The lack of color lead him to believe it was a very pure silicon. I was hiking the Absaroka range in Montana, just north of Yellowstone National Park, when I busted my toe on it :) I'm guessing it was thrown from the park during the last eruption. The coloring in chalcedonies comes from minerals/impurities in the groundwater that fill voids in limestone or basalt flows. A lot of the minerals that makeup the different colors are nonexistent in the Park. This thing is almost pure Silicon Dioxide.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1421114288911.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1421114288911.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 135
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1421114314850.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1421114314850.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 135
A few more pics

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1421114422695.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1421114422695.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 128