What's new

Immigrant Song

"Always sweep with threshing oar,
Our only goal will be the western shore..."

Seems to imply the goal is probably Canada. This area is sometimes called Vinland, and was probably reached from Greenland. Archaeologists have found at least one Viking settlement in Newfoundland. It it not totally clear why this was abandoned. It might have been only a temporary base for exploration.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Just feels so Canadian to me. Especially when I'm clearing out a foot or so of snow from my driveway.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The Vikings get a bad rap because the only people capable of writing about them in the C9 were monks, whose monastic treasuries were exactly the kind of loot the Vikings were looking to find. So most of the early reports of Viking contacts in Britain & Ireland have more in common with breaking & entering victim police statements than with objective narrative history.

Seems to imply the goal is probably Canada. This area is sometimes called Vinland, and was probably reached from Greenland. Archaeologists have found at least one Viking settlement in Newfoundland. It it not totally clear why this was abandoned. It might have been only a temporary base for exploration.
Eric the Red Maybe?

Eric the Red Maybe?
There is not a lot of surviving Viking literature, but they had many poems, stories, myths and legends. These were not written down until later. There are some epic stories they call sagas. Some sagas are concerned with Viking explorations. They are fictional, but may be based on factual events and people.

They use to think the oldest ships found were Polynesian but they now have discovered Viking ships older and i think still to this day it is a viking canoe. The History is better told in the Rune stones from my understanding still a very large community lurking around get a chance drop in at Fimbul on youtube

I introduced this song to my 15 year old history buff son, who is also quite musical. He liked the lyrics. But he also said that Robert Plant’s war cry in the intro sounds remarkably like the opening notes of the theme to “Get Smart”

B6839652-1FC4-482A-B0D7-CCC7404CC299.jpeg

The reason as to why the Vikings had to leave Vinland is simple, they made contact with the local population, that they called "skrälingar" meaning loud and offensive people. The Icelandic men were fearless and experienced warriors, but they were a few, a long way from home and their weapons were not much more advanced than those of the local population. 500 years later the Spaniards came with firearms, cannons and in larger numbers but even so they initially had a hard time.
Eric the Red Maybe?
Erik the Red founded the first Viking settlement on Greenland, that had a warmer climate back then. One of his men (I can't recall his name now) made a navigation error, missed Greenland and came to America. He and his men safely made it to Greenland where they told their story. Leif Eriksson, the son of Erik the Red, set sail after hearing the story. He came to New Foundland and most likely continued south along the coast. When returning to Greenland he called the new land Vinland (Wine Land). What happened after that is unclear, but most likely any Viking settlement in North America was abandoned before 1200 when the colder climate forced the Scandinavians to leave Greenland. However Basque fishermen fished cod at the Grand Banks from about 1200 A.D. and onwards thus supplying Europe with large amounts of dried cod. The location of the Grand Banks was a well kept secret until a man named Cristobal Colon found out about it in the late 1480's when visiting the basques. Colon is better known as Christofer Columbus. The Basque sent an official complaint to the pope hoping to get financial compensation for Columbus stealing their secret.

My paternal grandfather was my childhood hero. He spent most of his life researching the Norse history. He taught me how to read runs and gave me a life long interest in history. I live in a place where the remains the Viking age still are visible everywhere which makes it hard not to keep that interest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom