What's new

Imagine getting an Earnest James for Christmas.

41xU0S3MtJL._AC_SY400_.jpg
How would you react if one of your loved ones got you this for Christmas? This is obviously an attempt to cash in on the Edward Jagger name and offering an inferior product at the same price. It's probably a cheap $8 razor. What gets me the most it's being sold for $27 almost the same price as an Edwin Jagger. What would you do? Just keep quit or tell your family member they were scammed. I hope I don't get this gifted that would be a tough situation.

I mean....really. Would it be better to say

"You should have just got me another tech at the antique store! Jesus! This is junk!" *tosses into fireplace or trash bin* enjoy your Tiffany bobble, *****! Next year I'm going to Claire's boutique or Wal-Green! No more Balenciaga for you! Let's see how you like clearance sale Cher perfume! Probably as much as I like this razor. Now get me another beer so I can forget how utterly stupid and thoughtless you are!
😂😂😂😂😂

According to information supplied on the Earnest James and Amazon web sites, the razor is designed and inspected by the company in Sheffield, but made in one of two factories in SE Asia (countries not named). The handle is supposed to be chrome plated brass. I suspect the head is chrome plated Zamac, but that is not indicated.

Considering that razors made by Weishi and Balli can be pretty decent these days, I suspect this one is decent as well. Whether it is as good or better than similar three piece razors from Edwin Jagger, Merkur, Parker, etc. would require some direct comparisons over time.

Therefore be grateful to your loved one for thinking of you.

I had a similar situation on my last birthday. My daughter, whom I only see once a year, sent me a $50 gift card to Art of Shaving. Having perused the AoS web site previously, I would never purchase there for myself. Although the products are good, they seem to be overpriced. I had to figure out how to be grateful for the gift, find something that I could purchase for the specified amount, and yet indicate to her that I would rather not receive AoS gift cards on future occasions. I ended up getting an AoS Sandalwood soap in a teak bowl for $50. The shipping and tax came out of my own pocket. The soap is quite nice, although overpriced. However, I was able to express gratitude to my daughter for her thoughtful gift. For Christmas, both my wife and I requested gift cards to another outlet with a wider selection of items and better pricing.

Could be worse. One year my sister bought me an album by a band that I absolutely hated. It was hard to smile and say "thank you," but I did it anyway.

Say, ”Thank you!!” Then smile and say, “Just what I wanted!” Definitely the best option IMHO.
Capital advice from a true gentleman!
We never insult the feelings of those who genuinely care enough to proffer us a gift.

It looks like a generic Chinese razor, such as one may find on Alibaba, that is intended to be branded by the retailer.
The internet is full of such rubbish.
The hitherto unknown brand-name (with the name "Ernest" mis-spelt), and the reference to Sheffield are dead give-aways that it's Chinese junk.
To invoke Britain's historic steel-town, Sheffield, without the item being manufactured there or comprised of its famous "Sheffield-steel" is nothing short of audacious fraud in my book!
Still, might make a nice "novelty" gift for someone named James...who is at least arguably "earnest."

Capital advice from a true gentleman!
We never insult the feelings of those who genuinely care enough to proffer us a gift.

It looks like a generic Chinese razor, such as one may find on Alibaba, that is intended to be branded by the retailer.
The internet is full of such rubbish.
The hitherto unknown brand-name (with the name "Ernest" mis-spelt), and the reference to Sheffield are dead give-aways that it's Chinese junk.
To invoke Britain's historic steel-town, Sheffield, without the item being manufactured there or comprised of its famous "Sheffield-steel" is nothing short of audacious fraud in my book!
Still, might make a nice "novelty" gift for someone named James...who is at least arguably "earnest."

I had the same thought about Sheffield and the past history with straight razors

First you should ask the moderators to permit you to delete this thread as the person who gave you the gift may see it.

Second, the person who gave the gift tried to find something meaningful for you. Something that would show that they cared enough about you to make an effort. That's something rare and precious. That's what you need to be grateful for. There is only one response possible and that is to thank the person for their thoughtfulness and their kindness. Even if you don't use the razor, keep it as a reminder that someone in your life cares.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Do the gentlemanly thing. You'll be far happier. So will the person who gave it to you.

I had a friend some years back who loved coffee like I love coffee. We just didn't love the SAME coffee. We hit on a strategy that worked like a charm: every year at Christmas we would give each other the worst, most gag-inducing coffee we could find.

And it was always the perfect gift, because we were that opposite in our tastes.

O.H.

Hey everybody:
Don't get your knickers in a twist.
The OP was asking this as a "hypothetical!"
Nobody actually gave him one of these razors.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hypothetically I would say thanks and take the razor and use it. It would be a free razor and who doesn’t love a free razor. Hypothetically speaking.

This thread had all the makings of hypothetical pure comedy gold. Sadly, that didn't happen. It could still be salvaged.....anyone?
Thank God they didn't name it the John Thomas Big Fellow of Sheffield
😂

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
This thread had all the makings of hypothetical pure comedy gold. Sadly, that didn't happen. It could still be salvaged.....anyone?
Thank God they didn't name it the John Thomas Big Fellow of Sheffield
😂
In that vein, your post seemed the most on target and I did find it funny.

Top Bottom