What's new

Imaginary Authors?

I am a big fan. I think lots of folks on B&B are. Josh Meyer was once a moderator on B&B and in interviews has credited the interest he developed in scents to folks he met on B&B. Great nose. An absolute prince of a guy.

As I recall, IA itself offers sets of samples for fairly reasonable cost.

To me, IA scents are absolutely the real deal. My wife is a believer in wearing a single scent. For years now that scent has been the discontinued IA L'Orchideé Terrible. I approve.

I am a big fan. I think lots of folks on B&B are. Josh Meyer was once a moderator on B&B and in interviews has credited the interest he developed in scents to folks he met on B&B. Great nose. An absolute prince of a guy.

As I recall, IA itself offers sets of samples for fairly reasonable cost.

To me, IA scents are absolutely the real deal. My wife is a believer in wearing a single scent. For years now that scent has been the discontinued IA L'Orchideé Terrible. I approve.
What are your favorites? It seems like a lot of people like cape heartache, but it just sounds so unusual.

As usual, my favorites are rather personal choices. Hopefully there is a lot out there including on this forum to help one decide. And I would not buy a whole bottle without trying a sample first. I have not tried them all, especially the most recent ones. I hope to soon.

Falling Into the Sea may be my favorite. It is what I think of as a beach scent, like Bond No. 9 Fire Island or I Hate Perfume At the Beach 1966 (65?). Sun tan lotion, ocean air, salt water taffy. Brings up my mood.

Next would be The Cobra and the Canary. Citrus, leather, and asphalt. I really like that last note. Masculine. As easy choice, methinks.

Next for me would be The Soft Lawn. Green grass and fresh tennis balls. I think of this scent as being jasmine based, but jasmine is not listed as a note. Vetiver is. Too me, very easy to wear.

Every Storm a Serenade is a really nice spruce, evergreen, balsam scent. Very refreshing. Outdoorsy. Fresh air. Mountains.

I like Cape Heart way more than I thought I would. Fir and strawberries just like they say. It strikes me as a really good Christmas time scent. I almost bought a bottle to split between me and my two sons. I love to smell it on me. I am not sure i want others to that often. A compelling scent.

Memoirs of a Trespasser. A nice vanilla. Some gourmond elements if I recall.

A City on Fire. I do not like camp fire scents and I do not like this scent. If you do, I expect you will.

I think Bloods Bull may be one of IA's most popular scents. I like it, but do not want to smell like very often, which seems odd to me as this scent is largely a nice patchouli. I should give this one another shot.

I am not going to try to fully describe my wife's discontinued Le Orchidee Terrible. The on line descriptions and reviews do a good job. Sort of an edgy, metallic, floral.
Seems very modern to me. Feminine. A certain sharpness. It is what my beautiful wife has smelled like for years now. I love it.

One of the online You Tube perfume reviewers selected--I assume this was recent but I did not check an dates--Bulls Blood as one of his two desert island selections for scents. I cannot find the you tube video again right now, but one of the You Tube on line reviewers organized a video of a bunch of other on line reviewers picking their two desert island scents

The Cobra and the Canary has worked its way to the top of my rotation--I wear it a lot. It's like a postmodern Fahrenheit. I also like A City on Fire. It can be kind of intense when you put it on, but the dry down is very cool.

I really like the Bulls Blood. But it elicits something like horror in my family. Not sure why, but everyone is really turned off by it. I have a bunch of samples, and I wear it when they're not going to be around.

My wife had a bottle of Le Orchidee Terrible too. She loved it. Josh, if you're reading this, bring it back!

I've sampled every one of Imaginary Authors' scents and bought three full bottles: Memoirs of a Trespasser, The Cobra and the Canary and A City on Fire. I would definitely sample first before buying as some are polarizing. I'm sure you'll find something you really like though.

My favorite at first was Memoirs of a Trespasser. It's a very nice mix of vanilla and guaiac wood. You get a blast of a smokey, campfire-like scent at first that mellows out and transitions into a muted vanilla scent. It leans gourmand and that's probably why it's fallen out of favor for me. I don't have a lot of occasions to wear something like this. I read one review that compared the scent to a library in a rich man's house. I can see that.

The Cobra and the Canary smells strongly of hay to me for the first 30 minutes or so and then the blast of hay mellows out and it becomes more of a pure leather scent. I like this one a lot.

A City on Fire I can see being very polarizing, but I like it. It does smell like burned matches at first but after an hour or two, the drydown is very nice. I can't describe the drydown well, but I love it.

Cape Heartache I liked but I couldn't see myself smelling like strawberries and fir/pine very often. I couldn't see buying a full bottle. With Bulls Blood, I could not get over the metallic note that the description likens to blood. Not for me. The other scents were ok to me but not something I would wear, personally.

My wife had a bottle of Le Orchidee Terrible too. She loved it. Josh, if you're reading this, bring it back!
My wife's signature scent! She has gone through at least one bottle. I do not know how much she has left.

I am glad Cobra and the Canary has held up or done better than hold up for folks. I have always thought it was a great scent, but I have not yet gone for a full bottle.

We just got a sampler yesterday...

So far my wife tried O, Unknown and I like it... it reminded me to a soft incense which I enjoy and I tried The Canary & the Cobra and it's really nice, not sure how to describe it other than the words they use, I would say that this it feels a bit spicy to me, maybe is the asphalt note they mention.

We still have 6 more to try out but so far it's quite nice.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

My personal favourite is TCTC (cobra & canary). It really reminds me of camping and putting on a healthy dose of mosquito repellent ... in a good way.

I did samples from Josh ages ago ... some of them are no longer available, it seems, and there are some new ones. But samples are the way to go.

FWIW, SWMBO is really not a fan of Bull's Blood, and not a fan of the house in general. There's something in it that really turns her off. So I wear these when I am travelling for work and don't need to worry about offending TLOML.

So we’ve been going through the sampler... and so far our favourite should are:
For me - the cobra and the canary and a city on fire
For my wife - bull’s blood and telegrama
I also liked the fresh lawn, every storm a serenade and cape heartache but not sure if we liked them enough to buy full bottles

my 2 cents

Getting samples is always a good idea, but I mostly enjoy the house. The only full size bottle I own is Every Storm a Serenade. Another scent I really enjoy is Memoirs of a Trespasser, but I have a few samples of it that will actually last me a while because this scent is rather strong. Cape Heartache is also interesting with the strawberry note along with a sort of dank forest scent. A City on Fire is interesting if you like smokey scents. Sundrunk is an easy to enjoy Summer fresh type scent.

Top Bottom