What's new

Images of Replated Razors (as promised)

Hi Guys,

A few of you mentioned that you would like to see some images of the replated razors after I posted a pic of the razors stripped ready for plating.

Well here are some - they've just come out of the tank and have been rinsed but not polished.

I've also included the Tech stripped and plated and the same group stripped.

Hope they are of interest..

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Fat Boy above right needs the black detailing adding to the digits and the ring below the adjuster ring

Nice work... Thanks for the closeup showing details. With what are you plating? This is electroplating, yes?

Cheers,
Tom

Nice work... Thanks for the closeup showing details. With what are you plating? This is electroplating, yes?

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks Tom, Yes - some pretty nasty chemicals and electric to strip the old nickel (what was left of it at least) then new nickel plate added using a professional nickel plating tank.

Those are some shape looking razors there pal. (no pun intended)

Very nice job!!!!

Thanks Ray

Wait until that batch of 36 come over - I'll be miffed if the nickel is left on most of them and they just need cleaning :001_smile - seriously though, as I say they only get replated if they are beyond reasonable use.

wow this is amazing... the picture of the fully stripped razors remind me of that ever famous (anti badger brush) video of the animals getting skinned alive.... so TTOs don't give you any problems for plating, or do you have to take them apart?

wow this is amazing... the picture of the fully stripped razors remind me of that ever famous (anti badger brush) video of the animals getting skinned alive.... so TTOs don't give you any problems for plating, or do you have to take them apart?

Oh, I remember that video - nasty..at least razors don't feel pain - or do they?

The TTOs don't pose any problems, the only reason I stripped the Fat Boy was to repair a bent centre rod. I do tend to remove the doors from Adjustables and replate separately - for some reason Super Speeds are fine assembled, but Adjustable doors sometimes plate badly unless removed - strange as they are near identical. Even though the chemicals and acids for stripping/plating are pretty harsh (I wouldn't want to dip my hand in there) the black paint on adjustables usually comes through fine, if in good condition to start.

Do I understand correctly, you are stripping and plating these razors without taking them apart?

Yep, it makes no sense to strip the razors unless to sort any mechanical defects, the stripping solution gets into every nook and cranny as does the plating solution.

Incidentally, the razors that I have stripped have shown less plating on internal parts which indicates that the originals were often plated assembled.

V

VR6ofpain

Incidentally, the razors that I have stripped have shown less plating on internal parts which indicates that the originals were often plated assembled.
If that is true I would be very amused. Everyone is so paranoid when replating, it would be funny if Gillette had "cut corners" back then. Considering how cheap they were, I would not be surprised. Still they are built extremely well by today's standards.

Can i ask a question?

My dad has an electroplating machine in his basement, we've toyed around with it once in a while. Silver plating a penny now and then, but nothing major.

you didn't have to take the razor apart did you? Did you just strip the old plating off, put it in the tank and re-plate it?

I asked my dad a while back if i could try stripping and re-plating one of my razors, but he said you have to take the razor apart to get the innards plated also. To me it just sounded like an excuse so that he wouldn't have to get the machine out of storage.

My question is. If you have the electroplating machine, and all of the chemicals required, is it an easy job? How long does it take?

J

Jarmo P

Well, Dave wants me to send him back a 1966 SuperSpeed that he sent me instead the 1954 I ordered since someone else ordered the 66 too. I am kind of taking liking to it, So I don't know if I do that. This is not a steal since I am willing to pay for both razors.

Here is my review of it:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21583

Dave, are there any residues of the chemicals used to strip the razor left? I must say this looks good and shaved well too.

Hi SilverKarn,

If you have a plating machine you are well on the way. As regards 'easy' as someone said, nothing is easy until you know how.

You need to strip the old plating from the razor, unless it's all worn off. To do this you need a stripping tank containing sulphuric acid and some nickel anodes (but when stripping, they become cathodes - the parts to be stripped go on the positive anodes - which is the reverse when plating), you then need to run a low (1.5volts) current through it for anything up to 24 hours. The tank also needs to be heated to around 20 degrees C.

The razors (which don't need to be taken apart) although the silo doors on adjustables are better removed and plated separately can then be polished, etched and plated using your plating machine. Plating takes around 24 hours to get an original gillette depth of plating (all other factors equal)

There is a company in the USA and UK called 'Caswell' they sell plating supplied and also a detailed book on plating which will be helpful.

For stripping plate they also sell a chemical called MetalX which when mixed and put in a heated tank and agitated strips nickel from brass/copper - I've used this and it gets good results too.

Hope this helps..:001_smile

Can i ask a question?

My dad has an electroplating machine in his basement, we've toyed around with it once in a while. Silver plating a penny now and then, but nothing major.

you didn't have to take the razor apart did you? Did you just strip the old plating off, put it in the tank and re-plate it?

I asked my dad a while back if i could try stripping and re-plating one of my razors, but he said you have to take the razor apart to get the innards plated also. To me it just sounded like an excuse so that he wouldn't have to get the machine out of storage.

My question is. If you have the electroplating machine, and all of the chemicals required, is it an easy job? How long does it take?

Hi Jarmo,

Looks like you are keeping both then :001_smile

With regards residues from plating - they help to burn off the whiskers in the first few shaves:wink:

Seriously though - the razors are thoroughly washed, polished thewn washed again, so no residues will be present.

Well, Dave wants me to send him back a 1966 SuperSpeed that he sent me instead the 1954 I ordered since someone else ordered the 66 too. I am kind of taking liking to it, So I don't know if I do that. This is not a steal since I am willing to pay for both razors.

Here is my review of it:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21583

Dave, are there any residues of the chemicals used to strip the razor left? I must say this looks good and shaved well too.

Hi Synack,

I ultrasonically clean all my vintage razors before restoration which breaks up most of the gunk. Then the acids and heat used to strip and plate any razors that I plate will ensure nothing survives. The acid used to remove the plating is sulphuric- car battery acid!

If anything survives that it must be alien..:001_smile

Awesome job, those look great!

Have you run into problems with gunk built up on the inside? Like some of the pics in this article: http://vintagesaws.com/fatboy/fatboy.html. (Those are almost turning me away from buying any vintage TTO...)

Top Bottom