What's new

I'm up to 28 shaves on a Schick Proline....

… and the blade is still going strong. In the past, I've only managed to squeeze 15-20 shaves out of my Prolines, and I don't think that, after 8 years, my technique has changed. (But who knows? Being primates, we evolve.... :frown2:)

So, what's your experience with Prolines? Have you broken the 30- or 40-shave mark? I've reached 40 with Feather Pro Supers....

The razor I've been using for all of these shaves, by the way, is an aluminum Colonial General head on a UFO Kaiser handle in aircraft aluminum. I could easily use this combo for the rest of my life (but won't, if I have anything to say about it :yawn:).

So, what's your experience with Prolines? Have you broken the 30- or 40-shave mark?

I've had 30 shaves with the Proline B-20 injector blade, and there were more shaves in it. I think they're stellar. I usually get around 12 to 14 shaves with either NOS or current injector blades--the Schick Chicks or Personnas. Half of what a Proline delivers.

… and the blade is still going strong. In the past, I've only managed to squeeze 15-20 shaves out of my Prolines, and I don't think that, after 8 years, my technique has changed. (But who knows? Being primates, we evolve.... :frown2:)

So, what's your experience with Prolines? Have you broken the 30- or 40-shave mark? I've reached 40 with Feather Pro Supers....

The razor I've been using for all of these shaves, by the way, is an aluminum Colonial General head on a UFO Kaiser handle in aircraft aluminum. I could easily use this combo for the rest of my life (but won't, if I have anything to say about it :yawn:).
I’ll never understand how guys can get more than 3-4 shaves out of a blade, but my hats off to those who can!

I usually get 18-20 shaves out of one. I could probably push it more but I figure why do so when they are cheap enough.
It is fun to push it to the limits sometimes. I use the same razor head BTW as the OP, the General in Aluminum with an iKon Tuckaway SS handle.

I typically use a blade, any blade for that matter, for one week. Changing to a new blade on Saturday morning. Some blades would be able to go longer but I leave it at one week then it goes in the bank.
I did get 14 shaves out of a German Wilkinson blade a while back and that could have gone on a bit longer too.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

How many shaves you'd normally get out of a favorite/sharp DE blade in comparison?
Not more than 4 or 5, usually. But I left DE shaving behind 3 years ago. A few months ago I popped an Indian Green into my Merkur 45 Bakelite. The first shave was excellent, but the blade declined noticeably in the second shave, and I couldn't get through the third shave. The experience reminded me why I never looked back once I discovered Artist Club shaving.

I’ll never understand how guys can get more than 3-4 shaves out of a blade, but my hats off to those who can!
As noted above, SE vs. DE makes all the difference for me. I rarely got more than 6 or 7 shaves with any DE blade, and that was exceptional. When I got 40 shaves out of an Artist Club blade, it was in a Feather DX or Kai Captain Excelia shavette, where you can towel-strop the blade after each shave. Towel-stropping can really extend the life of an AC-type blade. But I'm not stropping the Proline in the General SE, and I'm up over 30 shaves with that blade.

I usually get 18-20 shaves out of one. I could probably push it more but I figure why do so when they are cheap enough.
It is fun to push it to the limits sometimes. I use the same razor head BTW as the OP, the General in Aluminum with an iKon Tuckaway SS handle.
AC-style blades are a great value proposition, for sure. I don't hesitate to toss a blade if it stops performing well. But I rarely get fewer than 15-20 shaves out of a Pro Super, and usually more.

I typically use a blade, any blade for that matter, for one week. Changing to a new blade on Saturday morning. Some blades would be able to go longer but I leave it at one week then it goes in the bank.
I did get 14 shaves out of a German Wilkinson blade a while back and that could have gone on a bit longer too.
It's an individual thing, of course, but I usually couldn't get a whole week's worth of shaves out of a DE blade.

Top Bottom