What's new

I'm torn between old and new

Most of my razors are old Gillettes .I have tried a few newer razors a Schone and a couple of Merkurs. I don't see much difference between them. There is something to me about shaving with a 90 year old razor that is akin to something your Grandfather may have used. I'm thinking or trying one of the new RazoRock stainless steel razors sincve they don't seem to break the bank

They are just different, vintage, often light, small with high maneuverability and created at a time when sideburns were worn by many. Modern for every taste, have different geometry, dimensions and weight. Often from different materials and at any price. As someone who wears sideburns, I prefer vintage ones because they make it much easier to trim sideburns. Too bad for the modern R41 of 2011. If only they would start releasing a small one again. There would be a cool competitor to the Old Type. Although the 2011 R41 will also be an old-fashioned razor in a couple of years.

Like you I love and gravitate to the antique and vintage razors. I've mostly focused on vintage Gillette's and a few other antiques but once in a while something new will be created that gets my attention. The Rocnel Sailor is an example. I have the 2020 so can't comment on the rest of the year models. Most are definitely worth having. Does it perform better than a 100+ year old Gillette? Not in my opinion if you discount the adjustability. Same for every other modern razor I own except one.

If you see something you like, vintage or new. Go for it if you can swing it.

Most of my razors are old Gillettes .I have tried a few newer razors a Schone and a couple of Merkurs. I don't see much difference between them. There is something to me about shaving with a 90 year old razor that is akin to something your Grandfather may have used. I'm thinking or trying one of the new RazoRock stainless steel razors sincve they don't seem to break the bank

Razorock razors are a great value. I've owned six, and not been disappointed with any of them.

I've owned a (if not "the") majority of vintage razors, Superman adjustable SE, Wester Bros., Heljestrand and Wilkinson wedge blades, British & American Gillettes, Le Coq, Le Touriste, De haven, Kriss-Kross, etc., etc. Most all of them I've enjoyed, and learned a bit about techniques & historical trends.

Most of the moderns I enjoy are adjustables, or tweaking classic designs. PAA's DOC line is made of real metals, vs. the original Grand Shave King zamak. The slightly thicker heads and machine marks in the OC cuts hold more water than the GSK, which I actually like more. Wunderbar, stainless rather than zamack, and although I don't mind bakelite or plastic, the Wunderbar head alone was a good bit cheaper than the classics, in addition to being a bit heavier.

I have a thing for sets, so Karve was highly appealing to me and it is the only 3 piece that I prefer to many vintage models, simply because a single variable in the shave can be changed, depending on needs/desired effect.

There are many good vintage adjustables available, but most modern offerings can go a bit higher in blade feel & exposure, which I like, and most are stainless, which I also like for weight & longevity.

Unless one has a strong preference for a particular design feature(e.g., material, weight, handle selection/design, blade exposure), one may generally find comparable shave experience from either group, and it largely boils down to which style one prefers (pre-20th century, pre-War/post-War years, modern-industrial, post-modern industrial).

Yeah, me too. I had at one point, over 250 razors...mostly vintage. I prefer the modern razors because of advances in metallurgy, design and looks. I go modern...sorry, they just appeal so much more to me than the older stuff. Just check out the Lambda Athena...the most beautiful razor in the world. IMHO.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I only have 5 Vintage Gillette razors. They are sort of on the backburner at the moment. I'm working my way through my new modern razors, one at a time, getting a feel for which ones I like. It's been a fun few months and should continue well into the New Year.

I don't feel any guilt for neglecting my Vintage Gillettes though. I took them out the other day and told them I still loved them. They're good for now. <eg> evil grin :devil:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I only have 5 Vintage Gillette razors. They are sort of on the backburner at the moment. I'm working my way through my new modern razors, one at a time, getting a feel for which ones I like. It's been a fun few months and should continue well into the New Year.

I don't feel any guilt for neglecting my Vintage Gillettes though. I took them out the other day and told them I still loved them. They're good for now. <eg> evil grin :devil:
I do love my Vintage Gillette razors. I only have two, but I will get more. :001_smile

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Best of both worlds — a new razor that just looks really old.
E6B3ECC7-D82E-4115-97FD-BB5AFF58500C.jpeg

Both vintage and modern are pretty much equally great. My opinion shifts from time to time depending on what I'm using, but in general I find the modern razors to be a bit more efficient, but that doesn't make them overall better than most vintage razors.

The thing I'm really starting to dislike is the fact that the most high end razors made in the recent years are using anything but very steep angle and I'm just bored as hell of using shallow or something in the middle between a shallow and a steep. Not saying that they don't shave well and I do get excellent results, but the joy I get when I shave with a very steep razor is impossible to describe.

Top Bottom