What's new

I'm throwing in the towel, guys....

We talk about our Razors, Brushes, Soaps/Creams, Pre-shave Prep, Techniques and many other things that I can't remember...but we never has said anything about the lowly old towel. There it hangs ready at your beckoning to absorb water, lather or blood...(nobody in here ever nicks themselves, do they ?) Some of us may never give it a second thought to what we use, while others may have thier "special" towel. I bought some a pair of thick terry cloth towels, but failed to wash them before wiping my face with them...I had more little dots of cloth stuck to my face, i look like a mangy Santa Claus !!!

What do you guys use ????

Recently I acquired a "Barber Towel" from Classicshaving.com.

This towel is 15" x 26" 100% pure cotton with the traditional herribone weave and green stripe down the center. I have seen so many of these in my shoe shining career. The barber always puts a neck tissue around the customers neck and then wraps a barber towel around him and then finally the barber apron. These are great for the hot towel steam on the face shave, but as you know very few barbers shave anymore. You should know me for my love of traditionalism in the whole wetshaving process. Having a "Barber Towel" just adds one more dimension to it.

I am looking forward to using it for my next shave. As you can tell, it came straight out of the package. I have found other towels online, but have been leary of thier quality. I have been told that the red stripe is thinner than the green stripe, but I can not confirm this.

The other day at my Wal-mart, I walked through the towel section and found these blue striped towels. They have a little texture to them. I threw the tag away and don't know the pre-washed size. They are approximately 15"x15" or 16"x16"...After thier washing, they performed well...no lint...They are on the smaller size than a hand towel, but still big enough and absorbent enough to do the job. These towels were 10 for $5.00....

The traditional Barber Towel From Classicshaving.com is $2.50 each or 6 for $12.50...

If I had a "shave den" to call me own...the Classic towels would hang distinctly amongst my barber shop and shaving memobilia...but as it stands..I'll have to just open the linen closet and throw in the towel....

Best Regards,

Mark the shoeshine boy

Mark,

I am a dedicated fan of towels from here . Their luxury line face and handtowels are the nicest i've used. Their bath sheets are the biggest on this planet. The terry is as dense as i've found. Nice folks too. I want one of their robes. Maybe santa will bring me one this year.

The 20x40 face towel is super nice, but pricey

I use the 12x20 . It is plenty big enough for me when i dont shave in the shower. The price is right. They last forever.

I dont like those thin shave towels one bit. They dont absorb as well.

Mark,

I am a dedicated fan of towels from here . Their luxury line face and handtowels are the nicest i've used. Their bath sheets are the biggest on this planet. The terry is as dense as i've found. Nice folks too. I want one of their robes. Maybe santa will bring me one this year.

I use the 12x20 . It is plenty big enough for me when i dont shave in the shower. The price is right. They last forever.

So glad I had the desire to click on this thread. I've been looking around to getting a good robe for SWMBO. What would you say the quality of their products are? I'm looking for something really nice.

Oh great. I've conquered RAD, SBAD and SCAD. Now I've got to deal with my TAD. Those Turkish towels from Thirstytowels look really nice, and I do like the barber towels from classicshaving too.

Nick

Hey, you sass that hoopy ReAndyMator? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.

The one that I use, I've used to lie on when spending time on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours.

TLOTH bought me a stack of Egyptian cotton "squares"; essentially about 10" x 10" face washers that I keep on an old converted train carriage luggage rack (tarnished brass vintage) up on the wall next to my basin. Not as big as your towels but rinsed in hot water they are my clean up after my last pass.

I've found that I like those micro fiber cloths the best. I think they are really sold as shop clean up supplies. They really hold the hot water for a good soak if you are not shaving right after your shower. The first bunch I found were orange and SWMBO was not too happy having them around. I found a much more pleasant light blue and white bunch that we are both pleased with. They are really more of what we call the "wash cloth" size - about 10" x 10" I think. Anyway it is great for a good soak or clean up after my shave. I have found that I don't like the bigger towels if I am going to soak them. I'm sure I would feel differently if I were sitting in a barberchair getting a shave.

p.s. Slaneyg - Thanks for the link. I have been looking for a nice robe for my wife also.

Nice older topic. Cudos to the member who brought this back to the surface.

I have some very old (60's) close woven Martex towels that I use when I shave. They have no pile as they are a flat woven, therefore they do not "shed" anything. One of these will be folded in forth and go on the right side of the sink for me to place my razor, scuttle, and brush on between passes. On the other side I use a "normal" hand towel which is also folded

In front of the sink I have a very thick pile towel that I have cut 1/4 off of and fold in half.

I surround the sink with towels to protect my "tools" should they leave my hand and take the long trip down to the counter top.

This set up has worked very well for me.

proxy.php

I always use the cast-offs. The towels from the bath that my wife is about ready to toss. I really like them because they are terry towels that have worn thin.

Mark,

What you dont use the "Terrible Towel?"

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I've been very satisfied with my towels for years, so I decided to check. They all seem to be made by Marriott or Hilton.

We got a &%* load of towels as wedding gifts a couple years ago, the nice deep pile terry cloth ones, so I am stocked for years.

I didn't even realize this was an old thread until you posted that. I keep looking at this hoping slaneyg will tell me about the quality of the thristy towels... maybe he got the robe after all. Probably doesn't even realize this thread was resurrected. Edit: his last activity was April 2012. Darn really hoping to get a review before I toss 150 towards a robe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom