What's new

I'm Thinking Of Getting An OC Razor. Fatip Piccolo Best Bang For Buck?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Well it came this morning, under 48 hours from order to door.
View attachment 1405094

What a handsome little fella!

Great weight, nice balance point, and the machining for the price is actually excellent. There are no soldering marks around the head pins.

The handle is deeply knurled vertically, it feels grippy.

Better shave with it then.
Congratulations! :thumbup:

In my opinion, Fatip razors are a very cost effective path to consistent top tier shaves!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Great weight, nice balance point, and the machining for the price is actually excellent. There are no soldering marks around the head pins.

Fatips are of surprising quality in regard to price. I paid ~$50CAD for mine and I certainly have no complaints.

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

Theres no slag around the pins on mine either but some blades, Bolzano for example, do fit tightly. Pretty nice for $50CAD if you ask me. It still looks the same today as it did the day I got it too, Sept. 22 2017.

I s'pose my final post will be about shaving with it just to round it off.

It really is a satisfying razor, in terms of heft and looks. It looks seriously functionally cool. I like the heft of it, so one can really let it do the work. The balance is great, the point being just aft of the top ring on the handle.
I find the fit and finish to be top notch, especially as it's solid brass and for £15. I mean that is ridiculous. There really is nothing to criticise. I've read some bitching about scuffs on the handle, but it does claim to be hand made. Gives it character.

Blade alignment was perfect. I just dropped a random blade in and it sat like a charm. The alignment and finish of the teeth, cap pins, the nickel plating, all seem first class. I found using the handle was a treat, it felt great. I balanced the end on my little finger, three fingers on one side and thumb on the other. Great feel and security. I experienced no slippiness.

Shaving with it was terrific fun. There was not as much blade exposure as I was expecting, but I read that blade exposure was reduced 38% from the v1 Piccalo. It was still enough. It certainly takes no prisoners, I hadn't shaved since Thursday but the first pass took down about 95%. Second pass was XTG and I was a bit cautious, but the angle is quite easy to find. As I got into the shave I found myself steepening the angle. The Piccalo was almost encouraging you to. XTG was sweet. Even better, for the first time using a DE I got a BBS upper lip and under chin result. ATG was fantastic, with no cleanups needed. A true BBS.

I 'get' OC's now. I think the absence of a SB allows the blade to creep up on the whiskers, while they are heightened by the lather. I assume the SB just flattens them. That must be an answer to much of the efficiency of an OC.

This little fella is my new best friend, and it has seriously got me thinking about all future DE razor buys being OC. After that I wouldn't mind trying a Valet Autostrop SE.

Huge recommend for the Fatip, and again thanks to all!

Last edited:

It really is a satisfying razor, in terms of heft and looks. It looks seriously functionally cool. I like the heft of it, so one can really let it do the work. The balance is great, the point being just aft of the top ring on the handle.
I find the fit and finish to be top notch, especially as it's solid brass and for £15. I mean that is ridiculous. There really is nothing to criticise. I've read some bitching about scuffs on the handle, but it does claim to be hand made. Gives it character.

Blade alignment was perfect. I just dropped a random blade in and it sat like a charm. The alignment and finish of the teeth, cap pins, the nickel plating, all seem first class. I found using the handle was a treat, it felt great. I balanced the end on my little finger, three fingers on one side and thumb on the other. Great feel and security. I experienced no slippiness.

Shaving with it was terrific fun. There was not as much blade exposure as I was expecting, but I read that blade exposure was reduced 38% from the v1 Piccalo. It was still enough. It certainly takes no prisoners, I hadn't shaved since Thursday but the first pass took down about 95%. Second pass was XTG and I was a bit cautious, but the angle is quite easy to find. As I got into the shave I found myself steepening the angle. The Piccalo was almost encouraging you to. XTG was sweet. Even better, for the first time using a DE I got a BBS upper lip and under chin result. ATG was fantastic, with no cleanups needed. A true BBS.

I 'get' OC's now. I think the absence of a SB allows the blade to creep up on the whiskers, while they are heightened by the lather. I assume the SB just flattens them. That must be an answer to much of the efficiency of an OC.

This little fella is my new best friend, and it has seriously got me thinking about all future DE razor buys being OC. After that I wouldn't mind trying a Valet Autostrop SE.

Steep is the Way ;)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Definitely steep. ;)

Top Bottom