What's new

I'm that guy.

Since you're obviously on the younger side you get a pass on this. Once you join the larger working world, though, be aware that the rules are quite different. Be it girls or bosses, people get a lot pickier in the over-25 age group, and you risk suffering the consequences if you don't adjust your behavior accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you're obviously on the younger side you get a pass on this. Once you join the larger working world, though, be aware that the rules are quite different. Be it girls or bosses, people get a lot pickier in the over-25 age group, and you risk suffering the consequences if you don't adjust your behavior accordingly.

+1

And fragrance-free policies at hospitals and work places are not because of medical reasons, they are because the majority of people have become "soft" and are afraid to confront others, either concerned about political backlash, or actual physical reaction.
So instead they go behind the person's back. They talk about them when they aren't around, but they also raise the issue to management.

Management is likewise "soft"... if it's not something that is a direct violation of policy that warrants actual disciplinary action, management doesn't want the confrontation either.
A "talk" about something that isn't against policy could result in problems from the union, or create personal issues.

So instead of addressing the problem, management goes to the top and they create a new policy that punishes everyone because one person created a problem.
Easy enough to say "We are now fragrance free" and blame it on people being allergic to some scents (even though such allergies are so rare that they may as well be thought of as non-existent).
Nobody is singled out, so the offensive person is free to continue their non-working life allowing people to taste them when they are within 30ft.

I've worked with a few people like that. Their teeth were yellow and crusty, their hands were grey, greasy hair... they think the cologne (that you could taste on your tongue anywhere in the room) would mask the fact that they only shower once a week.

+1

And fragrance-free policies at hospitals and work places are not because of medical reasons, they are because the majority of people have become "soft" and are afraid to confront others, either concerned about political backlash, or actual physical reaction.
So instead they go behind the person's back. They talk about them when they aren't around, but they also raise the issue to management.

Management is likewise "soft"... if it's not something that is a direct violation of policy that warrants actual disciplinary action, management doesn't want the confrontation either.
A "talk" about something that isn't against policy could result in problems from the union, or create personal issues.

So instead of addressing the problem, management goes to the top and they create a new policy that punishes everyone because one person created a problem.
Easy enough to say "We are now fragrance free" and blame it on people being allergic to some scents (even though such allergies are so rare that they may as well be thought of as non-existent).
Nobody is singled out, so the offensive person is free to continue their non-working life allowing people to taste them when they are within 30ft.

I've worked with a few people like that. Their teeth were yellow and crusty, their hands were grey, greasy hair... they think the cologne (that you could taste on your tongue anywhere in the room) would mask the fact that they only shower once a week.

+ 1

People are afraid to talk to other people.
That's sad .

This is the second thread that I've moderated in the frag forum in the past week or so. It's probably some kind of record. Must be the solstice.

It's great to have some good give and take here. We all know that frags can be polarizing and the issue of enthusiastic application v. nauseating overapplication comes up every now and then. Everybody has different opinions and it's good to hash it out. Have at it. But no insults directed at any other members. There's no tolerance for that.

I try to keep my scents fleeting. It's not respectful to invade someones space with buckets of wafting cologne.... That said, In the daytime I work in construction. When I show up on the job I don't want to smell like some dandy prancing around. I do use aftershave if I shave in the morning. But I don't drench myself in it. On the other hand, at night when I'm out with Mrs. Sav or playing music I will add a little more scent but not enough to stink up the place. I believe there is a fine line between enough and way too much.... In a social setting If you are close to someone say 1/2 an arms length (handshake space) that should be the perimeter of your "scent cloud". The OP is still a young fella and he will learn that more people are turned off by his cloud than are turned on... That defeats his purpose of mind control...lol How can you control someone if your "That stinky Guy"? Young ones have to figure it out on their own....

+1

I can't speak to workplace bans on fragrance because I've never had that experience. Where hospitals are concerned, it occurs to me that they are such a target for litigious claims these days that I'm pretty sure policies such as these are put into place as more of a "CYA" than for the reasons which you describe. I don't see why any business would go through the trouble of developing and implementing policy because of the fear of hurting someone's feelings. Hurting the bottom line, however, will get policies put in place real fast. It also occurs to me that, by having such a policy in place, a person who wears an offensive amount of fragrance should expect to be spoken to about it.

I have had the unfortunate personal experience over the past several years of having to spend an awful lot of time in a few local hospitals, and I've only ever seen signage such as this prominently displayed at the entrance to one Intensive Care Unit. Let me tell you, there is no comfort or dignity for your average ICU patient. In fact, the ICU is where some unfortunate souls (such as my mother-in-law) go to die. I imagine myself in their place, unable to speak or communicate due to illness and tubes down the throat, nauseous from medication, no comfort or dignity to be found. Then I imagine myself in that state being subjected to a cloud of offensive fragrance. In this case the policy seems perfectly reasonable to me.

In all honesty though, I'm lost by the end of this post. First there is talk about perceived problems with policy makers, and then the post ends with a condemnation of crust-tooth grey skin greasers who break these policies. There simply seems to be a lot of finger-pointing here, and that may very well be just my opinion. However, I've always been told that when I point my finger at others, I've got three fingers pointing back at me - glass houses and all that.

I'm not trying to launch any personal attack here, and I do apologize for the brevity, tone and harshness of my original response. I was just taken aback by this post and felt a need to address it. No hard feelings meant. I do prefer a live and let live attitude in my dealings with others.

Once again, I find this an oddly polarizing topic. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. The fragrance forum is where the world of basenotes and bass boats collides. Let's just stipulate that we don't need to project any larger concerns on our discussion. Badger and Blade should be the place where Tom Ford and the unfortunately named Colonel Conk can hang out together.

I'd say how many sprays you do depends a lot of how strong the cologne is and how much comes out with each spray. For me it's always 1-2max at the base of my neck. I'm in my early 30's and already married so I'm not trying to attract people from a distance. I prefer that if I talking to someone they can just smell my cologne, I don't want to worry that I'm overpowering them since people like different smells.

I don't want to be the guy I saw/smelled shopping last Saturday. He was the next isle over and I could smell his cologne, it wasn't a bad scent but he put on WAY to much. When I went into the isle he had just left I could actually taste it in the air... that's just wrong.

If someone is worried about loosing scent during the day wouldn't it make sense to put some of the cologne you're wearing in something like a small sample sprayer and put a spray on again 1/2 way during the day vs being way overpowering in the first few hrs?

It could also be a culture thing like mentioned before. I own a construction business and I shower & shave every day so a small amount of cologne goes a long way on me. If you are from a place or family that prefers showering every few days I could see cologne being more important. Then again some cultures don't use deodorant and prefer heavier amount of cologne as a cover. It's a wide world out there ;)

About four sprays of The Knize - two on my chest and two on my lower neck. Don't really care what others think about it - I'm on my K10 cloud.

I used 1 spray of Nasomatto Pardon and felt self-conscious about it. I'm told Pardon is the tame one of the Nasomattos. Can't imagine what the others would be like if that's the case!

For me, depends on the cologne strength and the sprayer. Normally I go 3 to 4 max, but I have one sprayer that doesn't work that well and it takes 6 sprays to get the equivalent of 2 sprays from my other bottles. I have some "artisan" colognes that are mostly alcohol and essential oils where their duration is fleeting at best, so they get the 4. I have other stuff where the duration is almost all day so they get 2 sprays.

I used 1 spray of Nasomatto Pardon and felt self-conscious about it. I'm told Pardon is the tame one of the Nasomattos. Can't imagine what the others would be like if that's the case!

The only one I've worn is Black Afgano and I didn't think it was that aggressive. I was a little worried about the juice staining my clothes.

Top Bottom