What's new

I'm taking the plunge!

No more screwing around; it's no longer up for debate. I'm going into the world of straight razors. The one thing I need to know is about strops. This appears to be a more nebulous topic than ever to talk about since Tony Miller's declaration that he would shift his focus to other things (at least for the time being). Doing research, I see that there are members of this forum that offer strops, and websites like Classic Shaving and Straight Razor Designs offer some attractive strops.

The vibe I get is that shave ready razors can be fairly easy to come by, and you can never have enough stones for honing. Strops are the big mystery to me. For quality that will last, what do you recommend?

No more screwing around; it's no longer up for debate. I'm going into the world of straight razors. The one thing I need to know is about strops. This appears to be a more nebulous topic than ever to talk about since Tony Miller's declaration that he would shift his focus to other things (at least for the time being). Doing research, I see that there are members of this forum that offer strops, and websites like Classic Shaving and Straight Razor Designs offer some attractive strops.

The vibe I get is that shave ready razors can be fairly easy to come by, and you can never have enough stones for honing. Strops are the big mystery to me. For quality that will last, what do you recommend?
I'll tell you what I think most folks around here will tell you. Get a less expensive strop to practise on. You will very likely nick it or cut a lot until your technique improves.
Good luck.

I'll tell you what I think most folks around here will tell you. Get a less expensive strop to practise on. You will very likely nick it or cut a lot until your technique improves.
Good luck.

+1

You WILL absolutely destroy your first strop. So if you buy a very expensive high end strop, you will be mad at yourself for destroying it. Buy a $20-$30 model, and then you won't be upset when you destroy it.

The $20 (shipped) Filly from Rup Razor is a good choice, as is the $25 (shipped) strop from starshavingsupplies on ebay.

'll tell you what I think most folks around here will tell you. Get a less expensive strop to practise on. You will very likely nick it or cut a lot until your technique improves.
Good luck.

+1 thank god for sand paper or my strop would on the way out. other than that welcome and do jump right in, the water is fine.

Sound advice! I am 9 shaves in and my cheap dovo strop already has a lot of nicks. When I get the hang of it I might get a better one. Other than that, take a look at Joel's guide to stropping and watch a few vids on Youtube and you will get the general idea. I am not sure I am stropping the way you should but I can shave with the resultant razor so I must be doing something right.

+1

You WILL absolutely destroy your first strop. So if you buy a very expensive high end strop, you will be mad at yourself for destroying it. Buy a $20-$30 model, and then you won't be upset when you destroy it.

The $20 (shipped) Filly from Rup Razor is a good choice, as is the $25 (shipped) strop from starshavingsupplies on ebay.

This. It is a great little strop and cheap as chips. By the time you've got you're technique down, you'll have a better idea of what you want. I've had mine for about 2-3 weeks and love it.

I have ALSO just ordered new a strop from Ambrose but this little guy is going to be my travel strop. :thumbup:

+1

+2. Even if you take it slow, your first strop is destined to get nicked at a minimum.

Once you have gotten the hang of it...Insert here: shameless plug for Gentlemans' Best.

Shane,

As one Str8 Newb to another....

Got a used strop in a str8 deal with another member...used that for about two weeks and launched on a Vintage Blades Latigo. The latter strop has a couple of nicks but is still holding up well.

Your call on what you think you can/can't do...but the guys are giving you some sound advice WRT nicks. I read all their advice myself and still launched on the VB latigo because I wanted it!!! :lol:

Now...I'm still glad I have it, but wish those nicks weren't there. That said, I'm not sure that my future strops wont have nicks in them either. I'm not even sure how these two on my latigo got there....I just noticed them one day, it wasn't as if I was stropping and I was like "Crap!! Just nicked it!"

I've subsequently pasted the first free strop I was given with CroOx and its working fine. So, whatever you think you can manage and best of luck!

I've just ordered The Filly strop from Rup Razor. Now, I'm on the hunt for a shave ready blade. It is finally happening...

I've just ordered The Filly strop from Rup Razor. Now, I'm on the hunt for a shave ready blade. It is finally happening...

The B/S/T is your friend. Lots of great quality shave ready straights show up there on a daily basis. Welcome to this new adventure. :thumbup1:

I recommend graduating to the RupRazor Paladin from the Filly once you have your nicks worked out . . . this has worked very well for me. It is a great quality horsehide / cotton combo with a silky draw that puts a killer finish on your edge, IMHO.

Bump and update:

My Filly strop is here, and has been for days. My future razor which will be sent out tomorrow is a Dubl Duck Satinedge courtesy of Ian (SliceOfLife). Many thanks to all who welcome me into this new, expensive realm. I'll let ya'll know how the first shave goes.

Bump and update:

My Filly strop is here, and has been for days. My future razor which will be sent out tomorrow is a Dubl Duck Satinedge courtesy of Ian (SliceOfLife). Many thanks to all who welcome me into this new, expensive realm. I'll let ya'll know how the first shave goes.

Good choice! Those Dubl Duck blades are great. It is good to start with an actual shave-ready blade.

Top Bottom