What's new

I'm Stumped

I just found a picture of a straight razor that completely baffles me - as does most straight razor stuff. I've just never seen one like this. Anyone know about it?

Thanks,
Rick

Attachments

• srlogo2.jpg
    srlogo2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Vintage Razor.jpg
    Vintage Razor.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 66
The tang is almost completely covered with what looks like the same material as the scales. No logo, no name, no place of origin, and a different logo that doesn't show up on STRAZOR or Google. Pretty much everything baffles me about it.

Last edited:
The tang is inlaid with either celluloid or ivory.
This is not so uncommon, sometimes mother of pearl as well.
There were so many razor makers at one point that not every one became well known. Some makers only for a short time, this does not mean anything with regards to quality though.

The tang is inlaid with either celluloid or ivory.
This is not so uncommon, sometimes mother of pearl as well.
There were so many razor makers at one point that not every one became well known. Some makers only for a short time, this does not mean anything with regards to quality though.

Thanks for the info. I'd never seen one like that.

Here is one I picked up a while ago.

proxy.php

Here is one I picked up a while ago.

proxy.php

Thanks again for the education. I really love your blade.

Does the blade give any hint to its age? There are some very smart people here, someone may recognize a feature that is particular to a specific period.

Probably German made, 20th century.

I’ve got a Keen Kutter with a MoP tang inlay, with plastic scales. Strange combo, but there it is.

I don't think that's a chicken. Looks more like a turkey to me with the fancy tail feathers. I did a little sleuthing during my commute. Unfortunately Google is infested with a cheap modern knockoff razor company when you search for "turkey straight razor".

With +90 percent certainty that razor is made in Solingen in the 1880's or late 1870's. It was the standard Solingen export razor model of that time. There were literally hundreds of different razors brands in Solingen back then. The names of most brands are lost, even if some like ERN still are known. Here are three from the "museum" part of my collection.

20191002_163300.jpg

no matter what, that looks like a perfectly serviceable razor. I'd personally leave the patina as is, hone it, and start shaving with it.

Hen-Rooster-Knives-Logo.jpg

Does favor the H&R logo. Nice find. I would like to have one their old knives/razors eventually.

I don't think that's a chicken. Looks more like a turkey to me with the fancy tail feathers. I did a little sleuthing during my commute. Unfortunately Google is infested with a cheap modern knockoff razor company when you search for "turkey straight razor".
That would be the rooster.

A strutting tom with his feathers fanned out would look good etched on a blade though.

Top Bottom