What's new

I'm starting to appreciate the idea of synthetic brushes which is unexpected

Having been a wetshaver for about ever, I've been used to doing things a certain way and nice badger brushes (and boar) have been part of that experience. However, the more I use the unknown brand synthetic brush I found at our other place and the recently purchased Trafalgar T2, I really have come to appreciate how quickly they are ready to go (no soaking needed) and how quickly they create very good lather. The T2 is OK but, surprisingly, the unbranded chinese brush is even better because it splays and works better for face lathering.

I've got to get rid of a couple brushes first but I just may shop for the "just right" synth.

My order of favor in brushes seems to have shifted also.

I purchased a Paladin brush ($180 retail) and despised it, so I sold it. It was a lather hog. I have no tolerance for things that are fiddly or require too much effort - it tends to take the fun out of the experience.

I've found that I absolutely love my boar brushes, and some of my synthetics - at least those that don't perform like a typical high-end, too-dense badger, which why I prefer my Razorock Plissoft brushes. The RR brushes are dense enough to have a bit of backbone (dont care for floppy synths) and they still release the lather. Same with my large $10 Omega boar, though it is a bit stiffer than the Plissofts.

I know this: I don't think I will purchase another badger brush. I haven't found one that suits me like the boars and synthetics.

Edit to add: I do like my T3, but it mimics the dense badgers on flow through. I dont get the generous lather release as I do with boar or my RR brushes.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I started with 1 boar brush and then went big time into synthetic brushes and they are good with the huge improvements in the last 5-6 years I have witnessed and I also had a chance to buy some on sale badger brushes recently and really enjoy those brushes also. The silvertip brushes are a nice gentle scrubbers, great lather painters & 2band brushes are best for scrubbing and good lather painting. My badger brushes will be around for some time and bought them on sale and they where well worth the enjoyment.
I have some good boar bristle brushes also and I really enjoy well broke in boar also and they are part of my rotation of brushes and always look forward to using them also, I just like the variety of different face feel brushes and so spent a few dollars finding out.
I mostly own Yaqi & Razorock synthetic brushes and they are good as any IMO.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It bothers me to buy chinese products.

La Madison du Barbier synthetic brush. Not too cheap and not too expensive. Not too stiff and not too floppy. Not too soft and not too scrubby.

Goldilocks would say, “it’s just right.” :)

I own boar, badger, horse and synthetic brushes. Once properly broken in has always been my favorite. I’ve never liked badger with anything other than creams which I don’t often use. Horse feels great, lathers well with hard soaps and even Mitchell’s.

My sons gave me a Muhle Rocca and a Muhle travel brush this year for my birthday and Father’s Day. I was really surprised. Actually used the Rocca today with a B&M soap and it’s really good.

I’m young enough to try but probably to old to change however I really like the synth more than I ever thought I would.

When I break out the Bismarck and Mitchell’s I will always revert to my Omega 48 I’ve had for the last 30 years. But, with everything else I’ve added the Rooca synth to my 3 brush rotation (1 on 2 off to dry). The badgers can just sit quietly and wait for me to want to use a cream. Never been a fan, never will be a fan and aside from being soft I don’t see what they offer. In my opinion if you want the softest possible “natural” brush and good performance use horse hair. The other 2 in my regular rotation are A Vie-Long 04312 (love that brush once broken in properly owned for a long, long time) and a Kent boar hair) my grandfather purchased in London before he returned home from WWII. He used it until his passing about 14 years ago and I’ve use it since. This brush is nothing more than 75 (ish) year old perfection.

The Muhle synthetics are made in Germany but no doubt the components are Chinese, that part I try not to think about. Honestly had it said made in China the boys would not have purchased it because they would have assumed I would not have used it.

But that aside the synth brushes are very solid. Lucky for me I have lots of natural brushes and won’t live long enough for synthetic to be the only option.

As I get older I realize man’s best friend really is a good dog and a good dog is defined by a good man. It’s a damn shame a man can’t go through life with the same dog but if cared for properly, he can go through life with 1 good natural fiber shaving brush and pass that down to future generations. I hope besides being functional the synthetic brushes share this quality.

I've got 9 active badger and boar brushes (4 boar, 4 badger, 1 boar/badger mix) and 2 synths. Odd numbers are fine for decorating but not so good for a collection of shaving brushes. I know I won't likely sell anything so I should probably add another synth. The homework is half the fun.

OkieStubble

I used to own some of the classic named badger brushes, Rooney, Simpson, etc. I have even made a few of my own with vintage handles from ebay and two band knots from The Golden Nib. All eventually sold or PIF'd. The only badger left is a cheap black badger with clipped tips called 'Shea Moisture' that was purchased from like Target or somewhere more than a decade ago.

My wife uses it when shaving her legs because she likes the scratchy, scrubby feel to exfoiliate her legs. The only two brushes I use, is my daily synthetic La Maison du Barbier 22mm synthetic which sees the most use, and my Omega 'Baby Pro' Boar brush which mostly gets used in the summer months with a Proraso Mug and Proraso cream, which is more about me just being traditional with a Proraso Boar while using Proraso cream and getting a full Italian shave. :)

My synthetic has been hard at work now for 6-8 years, can't remember the exact date of purchase, but it lathers like crazy with very little product even from the hardest soaps. It also helps save money with not eating up the soft soaps and using less cream for the same amount of lather. I have only ever cleaned it with running water or swishing it around in a mug of clean water, shaking it out and towel drying then hanging it on the holder that came with it.

I have very hard water, but have never seen any kind of build up, of soap residue or hard water deposits in those years.

C47ED46D-4811-4482-8CF7-AC568F40AE2B.jpeg

I used to own some of the classic named badger brushes, Rooney, Simpson, etc. I have even made a few of my own with vintage handles from ebay and two band knots from The Golden Nib. All eventually sold or PIF'd. The only badger left is a cheap black badger with clipped tips called 'Shea Moisture' that was purchased from like Target or somewhere more than a decade ago.

My wife uses it when shaving her legs because she likes the scratchy, scrubby feel to exfoiliate her legs. The only two brushes I use, is my daily synthetic La Maison du Barbier 22mm synthetic which sees the most use, and my Omega 'Baby Pro' Boar brush which mostly gets used in the summer months with a Proraso Mug and Proraso cream, which is more about me just being traditional with a Proraso Boar while using Proraso cream and getting a full Italian shave. :)

My synthetic has been hard at work now for 6-8 years, can't remember the exact date of purchase, but it lathers like crazy with very little product even from the hardest soaps. It also helps save money with not eating up the soft soaps and using less cream for the same amount of lather. I have only ever cleaned it with running water or swishing it around in a mug of clean water, shaking it out and towel drying then hanging it on the holder that came with it.

I have very hard water, but have never seen any kind of build up, of soap residue or hard water deposits in those years.

View attachment 1523578
Two brushes. Smart man. Personally speaking, I'm an idiot have as many as I do.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I got sucked into the whole cheap Chinese synthetic thing for a while so I have a few Yaqis. Over time I have come to realise that there is more enjoyment to be had in a range of brushes from different manufacturers. My favourite is now a Muhle Kosmo STF, but I have Simpsons and RR and have plans to add to the lineup, but in line with trying to cut down on my shaving gear I am being much more selective about my purchases and not just buying on a whim. Currently I am looking at purchasing an Omega Evo or PAA Phantom Aerolite unless I can talk myself out of it over the next few months.
I still use my boars for 3017ing soaps but I never really got into badgers and only have 2 that don't see any use.

I got rid of my badger and I never use my boar, any longer. I am all synthetic. For me, the Muehle silvertip fiber is #1 and the Shavemac silvertip fiber is #2. I've not found anything to compare to these.

Because this thread needs pictures: First up, Rudy Vey 25mm Muehle Silvertip fiber (after use)

Rudy Vey 3.JPG

Second up: Shavemac 28mm Synthetic Fiber.

Shavemac butterscotch brush 1.JPG

OkieStubble

Two brushes. Smart man. Personally speaking, I'm an idiot have as many as I do.
You’re not an idiot. I’ve been doing this since 2010. I once had many razors and brushes and soaps. I think most who do this, get caught up in the wonderment of it all when beginning and spend the first few years trying, gathering and obtaining just from the fact of reading great reviews about so many different things from so many different people.

The OCD ( obsessive collection disorder ). :) does wear off eventually and a natural pairing down of stuff, to what we know we really like and want to keep around.

We get to the point of realizing, it’s all about the process of shaving instead of the immense variety and options we have to use in shaving.

In saying all of this, I have went from once 25 brushes to 2 brushes. 20 soaps to 4 soaps. And at least 40 or so different razors, to just a few DE’s a couple of SE’s, one Straight and two Shavette’s.

Now to just figure out what to do with the 200 vintage & modern aftershaves I have. :)

I use an EVO as a travel brush, but I don't use it at home. I still prefer my badgers and boars. I think a day will come when I prefer a synth, but it's not here yet.
I too use a synthetic as a travel brush. It drys quickly, and was inexpensive enough to not lose sleep over if lost or damaged.
I have a Fendrihan syn. That I plan on giving to a grandson. And I recently bought a Razorock Plissoft 24mm that is the softest brush I've ever used. But I still like my boars, especially on hard soaps, and having used a Badger for most of my shaving life, they will stay in my rotation. :001_rolle

My order of favor in brushes seems to have shifted also.

I purchased a Paladin brush ($180 retail) and despised it, so I sold it. It was a lather hog. I have no tolerance for things that are fiddly or require too much effort - it tends to take the fun out of the experience.

I've found that I absolutely love my boar brushes, and some of my synthetics - at least those that don't perform like a typical high-end, too-dense badger, which why I prefer my Razorock Plissoft brushes. The RR brushes are dense enough to have a bit of backbone (dont care for floppy synths) and they still release the lather. Same with my large $10 Omega boar, though it is a bit stiffer than the Plissofts.

I know this: I don't think I will purchase another badger brush. I haven't found one that suits me like the boars and synthetics.

Edit to add: I do like my T3, but it mimics the dense badgers on flow through. I dont get the generous lather release as I do with boar or my RR brushes.
Razorock Bruce was an an early favorite (hence my moniker), though I much prefer badger now. Razorock Chubby is a true favorite (silvertip fan shape, I believe).

Having been a wetshaver for about ever, I've been used to doing things a certain way and nice badger brushes (and boar) have been part of that experience. However, the more I use the unknown brand synthetic brush I found at our other place and the recently purchased Trafalgar T2, I really have come to appreciate how quickly they are ready to go (no soaking needed) and how quickly they create very good lather. The T2 is OK but, surprisingly, the unbranded chinese brush is even better because it splays and works better for face lathering.

I've got to get rid of a couple brushes first but I just may shop for the "just right" synth.
You may want to consider a Razorock Plissoft synthetic. They are well regarded by most B&Bers and come in a range of styles and sizes that will fit in with your shave den. The 26mm Monster and Big Bruce are my daily drivers with the former having held up well over three years of almost daily use. I use them for everything except my two hardest soaps (Williams and MWF) that do best with a boar.

Top Bottom