What's new

I’m sold. I want a Bialetti

It's refreshing to see that bialetti moka-coffee is being loved and discussed on an american/international forum.

I'm italian and I drink coffee from a moka every morning. My mokas are actually 20years old and in Italy we say that the longer you use the same moka the better the coffe will be. A similar concept applies to Yixing-teapots...but thats another topic all together.

Pot arrived Tuesday. Coffee arrived late last night. Was running too late this morning but will make coffee tomorrow.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My mokas are actually 20years old and in Italy we say that the longer you use the same moka the better the coffe will be.

In searching the internet for information about my new Moka Pot, I'm getting contradictory opinions about cleaning the Moka ... some say just rinse it out and don't use soap, and others say use soap to properly clean.

Some want the patina to develop, some think the patina oils will go rancid.

Your thoughts on that?

I'll leave it to the Italian experts to respond definitively, but I've always heard that they should just be rinsed out. The coffee-oil patina is desirable, particularly if the moka pot is aluminum. I've seen them used in Sicily, Milan, and the south of France, and everyone seemed to be rinsing them off, not washing. I found mine in a local hardware store run by a Portuguese family from the Azores. I've had them for around 3 years and have never washed them apart from straight out of the box. They are both marked "Primula."

To use at maximum volume, (1) fill the reservoir up completely, (2) push the cone into the reservoir completely, displacing the excess water, then (3) with the cone in place, pour off any standing water in the cone. Then add some espresso grind coffee till it is largely full but not compressed.

Last edited:
In searching the internet for information about my new Moka Pot, I'm getting contradictory opinions about cleaning the Moka ... some say just rinse it out and don't use soap, and others say use soap to properly clean.

Your thoughts on that?
I've had mine for about 15 years. I've never used soap. No evidence the flavor has improved. But the lack of soap has definitely not hurt anything.

I love mine. Hope you enjoy yours.

Your thoughts on that?
Absolutely never use soap, that would be worse than cutting spaghetti!

Use plain hot water.

Legion

Staff member

Your thoughts on that?
I think it might have to do with how often you use the pot. If you are using it daily the heat would probably kill any bugs. If it was sitting for a long time with a bunch of oils inside it might get nasty.

the stainless pot I use now gets a run every morning, so I mostly just use water.

Since we're on the subject, is there any truth to the urban myth that after the death of Alfonso Bialetti, his remains were cremated and the subsequent ashes were placed in Bialetti moka pot?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Memo to self: when telling executor of funeral wishes, be sure to pronounce "put me in coffin" clearly.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

Your thoughts on that?

Doc, there are 2 schools of thought on this topic. The purists endorse the "just rinse with warm water" opinion, the hygienists endorse the "use soap to clean well" opinion.

Personally, I do not like that brownish patina that would develop without using any soap, therefore I clean well WITH dish soap after each use. The Moka Pot stays perfectly shiny at all times and the coffee is great as always. IMHO.

Ever noticed how when you are really looking forward to something, life pops up and paddles your behind.

did not get to the Bialetti until about 30 minutes ago.

OOOOHHHHHH YYYEEEEAAAHHHH!!!!!
:eek2::c18:

Top Bottom