What's new

I'm Sick Food Recipe

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
When your sick, feverish, hurting and just flu-ed out, what do you eat? What's your go to recipe? Wife, kids or yourself. My wife came home early the other day from work (I thought she had been fired) sick the other day. She looked at me and said, "I don't feel so good." (whew!!!). I know I'm bad. Anyway, I made her a class favorite. It put a wonderful sick looking smile on her face that I'll remember for eternity. May I show you? ...and please post your [sick] recipe.

Here it is:

Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup

Ingredients
1 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
2 teaspoons minced lemongrass or lemongrass paste
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cups vegetable broth
1 can of baby clams with juice
3 or 4 porcini mushrooms(diced)
1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
2 cups Silk Unsweetened Coconut Milk
1 cups Napa cabbage, finely shredded
sea salt to taste
lime wedges, for serving
fresh cilantro or parsley, for serving
green onion, sliced, for serving

Method
In a small sauce pan put in the broth and the porcini mushrooms. Bring to a boil then cut back to simmer until porcini mushrooms are soft. In a separate medium sized pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, garlic, ginger and lemongrass. Give it a stir, then add the curry, crushed red pepper flakes and the broth(with porcini). Increase the heat to medium-high bringing the broth to a light boil. Add the shrimp and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk, cabbage and clams with the juice. Increase the heat just a bit and as soon as the soup comes to another very light simmer, remove it from the heat.
Season with salt to taste. Serve in bowls and top with a squeeze of lime and some cilantro or parsley, green onion and additional crushed red pepper if you’d like. I put some sliced habanero in mine. Enjoy.

Serves 2 to 3 very sick people.

$IMG_0790.jpg

If I'm that sick, I'm not making anything. I'm going to rummage in the back of the cabinet for Campbell's Bean and Bacon soup and heat that up. Fatty, salty condensed deliciousness. [emoji3]

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I got this from a chef that used to frequent the Mess Hall- I forgot his name, but it wasn't ChefJohnBoyardee

Chicken in the Pot with Matzoh Balls
(Serves 6)

For the soup:
1 whole chicken (or assorted chicken parts), about 4½ pounds
1 yellow onion, small dice
2 large celery ribs, small dice
4 or 5 large carrots, peeled, cut into ¼-inch thick slices on the bias
1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon brand chicken base

For the matzoh balls (makes 10 to 12):
1 cup matzoh meal
¼ cup vegetable, corn, or canola oil
¼ cup water. For lighter matzoh balls, use club soda or seltzer
4 eggs
1 tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Pepper

8 oz. medium egg noodles
Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish

Cut the chicken into pieces (2 wings, separated at the joints; 2 legs; 2thighs; 2 breasts, each cut in half) and remove all of the skin and visiblesurface fat. Rinse the pieces well, and place in large pot. Add enough coldwater to cover the chicken by about 2-inches, and bring to a boil.

While the water is heating, make the matzoh ball mixture. Beat the eggs, water,oil, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Add the matzoh meal all at once, andmix gently with a fork just until the ingredients are fully combined. Do notover mix or “beat” the batter briskly. This will ensure that the matzoh ballsare light and fluffy. Refrigerate the mixture for at least 20 minutes, untilall the liquid is absorbed and mixture is fairly firm.

As soon as the pot comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and pour off allthe water and coagulated matter. Remove the chicken pieces and rinse the potout very well. This is an important step in order to achieve a clear, fat-freebroth.

Return the chicken to the pot and add the onion, celery, and carrots. Addenough cold water to cover the chicken and vegetables by about 3 or 4-inches,about 5 or 6 quarts. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Stir in thechicken base when the water is hot.

With wet hands, gently form the matzoh mixture into balls about the size ofwalnuts. Do not pack the mixture tightly. Add them to the simmering liquid oneat a time. They should rise to the surface fairly quickly. Cover the pot andcontinue cooking at a gentle simmer for about 35 to 40 minutes. While the soupis cooking, skim off any fat or grease that comes to the surface and discard.

Add the noodles to the soup, and continue cooking with the pot covered about 10or 12 minutes longer, until the noodles are cooked through.

To serve, put a piece or two of chicken, a generous helping of vegetables,noodles and two matzoh balls per guest in large warm bowls, and top with thehot broth. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.

Fortunately I don't get sick often. The next time I do I'll ask the LOML to make Thai Coconut Shrimp or chicken and matzoh.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I hope your wife feels better soon, at least she is getting well looked after.

I don't have any I'm sick food but a hot lemon drink with a teaspoon of honey and the juice of one lemon is all I do. The wife adds ginger to the mix but not me.
Now go to the bottle store and pick up a bottle of rum and green ginger wine. Best cold fix out there. :thumbup1:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I hope your wife feels better soon, at least she is getting well looked after.

I don't have any I'm sick food but a hot lemon drink with a teaspoon of honey and the juice of one lemon is all I do. The wife adds ginger to the mix but not me.
Now go to the bottle store and pick up a bottle of rum and green ginger wine. Best cold fix out there. :thumbup1:

Thanks. She's feels better today. Green ginger wine huh?

Did you say sick....or pregnant? :001_rolle

Bite your tongue.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Sorry, my response was to the initial post, before I read the later ones, and I was commenting on the recipe.

I hope that your wife is feeling better.

Don't be sorry, I knew you were trying to be funny. That's exactly why this place is good for the soul.....food.lol

Carry on dear brother.

I tend towards lots of vegetables, citrus fruits, lentils, greens, and anything with tons of garlic.

Oatmeal
Bananas
Mangoes
Oranges
Vegetable broth with rice & random vegetables (generally whatever I have laying around, so tomatoes, onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and cabbage)
Simple Greek Lentil Soup with a side of Cucumber & Tomato Salad
Green skin avocado (not hass) & grapefruit salad with salty key lime juice
Mujadara - rice, lentils, & caramelized onions
Hummus spread on just about anything
Collards with smoked paprika
Green beans with allioli (garlic & olive oil spread made in a mortar & pestle)

Top Bottom