What's new

I'm shopping around for a Schick Krona

Really nice ones on Ebay going for mid to high $20 range. These guys aren't stupid. I won't get "really nice" for less than $20.

Really nice ones on Ebay going for mid to high $20 range. These guys aren't stupid. I won't get "really nice" for less than $20.

I've seen a number of user grade ones going for dollar or two plus shipping. There was a lot of two kronas, and a random flare tip that sold for ~$14 after shipping that I saw sometime last week.

This razor is NOT worth $90+ NOS for me.....
It's a piece of history, a good mild razor. Get a used one in good condition for a decent price. Let the price gougers keep their merchandise.

I've got several Kronas. None are NOS, but all look like they could be. They're nothing fancy or expensive, but they all provide outstanding shaves with a wide variety of blades. The Krona is a very underrated razor, and well worth having in your shave rotation.

I've got several Kronas. None are NOS, but all look like they could be. They're nothing fancy or expensive, but they all provide outstanding shaves with a wide variety of blades. The Krona is a very underrated razor, and well worth having in your shave rotation.
Similar to my Gillette Super Speed or Merkur 34?

In High School I told Mom I wanted: "One of those" ... and pointed at the TV ad on Sunday Football for a Gillette TTO. It was all of a buck and came with a dispenser of 5 blades. I ended up being odd man out, since my buddies all got Schick Kronas instead, preferring to "Stick it to the man" and get the less popular Schick instead of the more popular, and common, mainstream Gillette Knack.

My Gillette served me well for many years, interspersed with shaves from a straight & Ever Ready boar brush inherited from Mom's Dad. I went on to electrics, with the straight used on weekends. I had already learned how to home a straight from Dad's Dad, so a sharp razor was never a problem. Later I got the Schick Injector my Dad's brother carried from Normandy to Berlin during WW II as a combat medic.

I soon decided I needed a razor with more blade brand options than the injector, the Knack was long lost, and I finally got my Krona, only 40 years late. I've gone on to accumulate numerous vintage Gillettes, and my Knacks and Kronas often get passed over in the shave rotation, but they still remind me that they can provide a close comfortable shave along with the best of my other "shinier" razors.

It would be really cool if Schick could do a heritage release of the Krona, similar to what Gillette did. But it must be the actual Krona, not a modern copy.

I used mine today. Any better condition it would be in the factory box. However, way to mild for me. I thought it would be like my Super Speed but milder. Buyer is taking it back. Great for a starter but not someone who wants "a nice close shave."

Here is my NOS Schick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
I used mine today. Any better condition it would be in the factory box. However, way to mild for me. I thought it would be like my Super Speed but milder. Buyer is taking it back. Great for a starter but not someone who wants "a nice close shave."

Nice of the seller to take it back. While mild, I find it quite easy to get a "nice close shave" every time with my Krona. YMMV!

Funny how these things go. I find my pre-Krona to be just a tad more efficient than a Super Speed.

I can get BBS from a Krona but I have to work at it. It has a cutting angle different than any other DE. It shaves best if the head is almost perpendicular to the face, perhaps 10 or 15 degrees off. Perhaps not coincidentally, it’s very nearly the same angle that a Schick injector shaves best.

I bought one just because I wanted a vintage in the Schick brand. It is a mild razor and it does an okay job but I wouldn't think of selling it. It looks like new and think I got it for around $20 off the bay.

Top Bottom