What's new

I’m seriously considering the cut-throat shaving lesson from GFT.

Thanks for all your enquiries. I did ask and I was told the lesson is part demonstration and part ‘hands on’ under supervision.

The cost for the cut-throat razor lesson is £105.00

I must admit I really like the ‘feel’ of the expensive cut-throat razors. But unfortunately my wife steadfastly refuses to let me buy one because a) she is a worried about me injuring myself and b) that it resembles a weapon too much. I do have to respect her wishes. She did say I can have the shaving lesson as an ‘experience’ gift though.

Jason.

Perhaps a shavette would be an acceptable compromise? Uses the standard DE blade you are currently using, broken in half. Except for the Razorine, it uses a regular DE blade.

Just looked at the Razorine. To me the business end of the razor looks like a standard DE razor head. Not sure if I like the Razorine’s rowing-boat paddle look.

Jason.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
The class sounds interesting, but is probably not necessary. I learned to shave watching Youtube videos and I expect I am not the only one. Do you have knives in your kitchen? Any reasonably sharp kitchen knife is probably more of a weapon than a straight razor.
Totally agree with this view.
Although often used as a weapon in movies, the straight razor is actually quite fragile, and neither the blade edge nor the scale can withstand collisions.

The main way to safely use a straight razor is to lay the blade flat against the skin, cut and fine-tune the angle as you move; as long as you don't cut the edge of the blade directly towards you, there will be no accidents.

By the way, I have a friend who even uses Gillette cartridges to leave staves on his face, and if you add the notes you can make a melody. User error is more dangerous than the razor type itself.

Interesting comments here haha.

Sounds like a fun class. They will probably use shavettes as opposed to a traditional straight, which can be more unforgiving than a traditional straight. If that's something that you want to do, seriously go for it if you find it interesting. I'm personally self taught with the straights and with a shallow angle I find it more benign on the skin than DE (for my face). At one point in time it was the only way to shave. It really isn't voodoo.

Taking a class to learn something new, no matter what it is, is always worth it imo. I wonder if they will make you shave a balloon haha.

Hmmm, quite a few divided opinions here. Each and every one has been carefully respected though. However it’s my wife’s wishes for me not to have a cut-throat razor in the house and that is something I have to respect. As mentioned before if I want to have a cut-throat shave it has to be left to the barbers.

Jason.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I think the class will be fun and might give you advice useable with your safety razors. It could get you hooked on open bladed shaving and lead you to become a balsa-flattening rock-hounded lunatic, so please do be wary.

Between the efficiency you’ve built with your Merkur 39C Sledgehammer and the interstellar looks of your Parker Interceptor, I’d say an open blade razor has nothing that will improve either the shaving results and the scary weapon look of your current collection.

It sounds like the course takes place in the GFT shop? So you can always take the course but not bring home a razor.

Everybody wins: your wife's wishes are respected AND you get to learn something new. I started using straights about 6 months ago and I can definitely say that they will improve your DE shaves. They will take your beard mapping and light touch to the next level, giving you closer more comfortable DE shaves.

Top Bottom