What's new

I’m seriously considering the cut-throat shaving lesson from GFT.

Good evening all.

At GFT in Central London they are offering a 1 hour 30 minute lesson on how to shave with a cut-throat (or straight) razor. It is something I would love to treat myself to one day. Has anyone else taken lessons on how to use a cut-throat razor? I held a couple of cut-throat razors in the shop and some of them are really nice!

Jason.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Sounds like a fun social event, with some shaving mixed in. Getting to hold some razors with an up close and personal tutorial might be inspiring. I just started through trial and error…plenty of error. I had actually considered a similar local shaving inspired event but it was cancelled before it got off the ground. Why not?

Good evening all.

At GFT in Central London they are offering a 1 hour 30 minute lesson on how to shave with a cut-throat (or straight) razor. It is something I would love to treat myself to one day. Has anyone else taken lessons on how to use a cut-throat razor? I held a couple of cut-throat razors in the shop and some of them are really nice!

Jason.

Very good idea! let us know if you ever take the course. :thumbsup:

Good evening all.

Jason.
Hi Jason, Glad to see you back here. Have a look at the "how-to" shaving guide from 1905 that I just posted (link below). The straight/cut-throat and a hard puck of shaving soap were the only options back then so this goes into detail on how to shave with one. May help you decide if you want to take the next step with a class.

Interesting that the understanding of how shaving soap lather worked was very different from how we see it today.

Found this in our U.S. library of congress that allows you to download a pdf of the document.

Enjoy!

@JasonJT, before it's too late:

You know, that's a classic OP for that topic. Well played! :D

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Give it a go and report back. I am interested for you. I think it would be a great hour and a half.

Give it a go, most probably be a shavette which is different to use than a straight, but the principal is there 👍

Is this a hands on event, or simply watching someone demonstrate the use of a SR?
This is a great way for GFT to get incremental sales on SR's, stones, strops, and other paraphernalia needed to keep these things in working order.

Thanks for all your enquiries. I did ask and I was told the lesson is part demonstration and part ‘hands on’ under supervision.

The cost for the cut-throat razor lesson is £105.00

I must admit I really like the ‘feel’ of the expensive cut-throat razors. But unfortunately my wife steadfastly refuses to let me buy one because a) she is a worried about me injuring myself and b) that it resembles a weapon too much. I do have to respect her wishes. She did say I can have the shaving lesson as an ‘experience’ gift though.

Jason.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Wow! The price of this "experience" is enough to buy a good razor.

I just watched youtube one or two at first and just picked up a shavette and put it on my face, so far no more damage from open blade razor than AS-D2 to me.

Of course, if you can see on-site demonstrations and questions, you will definitely save a lot of time for your own exploration.
Looking forward to know the follow-up.

Thanks for all your enquiries. I did ask and I was told the lesson is part demonstration and part ‘hands on’ under supervision.

The cost for the cut-throat razor lesson is £105.00

I must admit I really like the ‘feel’ of the expensive cut-throat razors. But unfortunately my wife steadfastly refuses to let me buy one because a) she is a worried about me injuring myself and b) that it resembles a weapon too much. I do have to respect her wishes. She did say I can have the shaving lesson as an ‘experience’ gift though.

Jason.
£105.00 is $113.00 here in the USofA...that would be little over my ER deductible for services rendered after I massacred my face with a SR.
Totally agree with your bride!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
But unfortunately my wife steadfastly refuses to let me buy one because a) she is a worried about me injuring myself and b) that it resembles a weapon too much. I do have to respect her wishes.
c) Think of how much money you spend on DE razors. Now imagine buying a razor, strop, some whetstones for practice. Then as you get more into it replacing your gear with better and better stuff until your DE spending looks like chump change.
d) Risking life and limb every day for the sake of a shave

Your wife appears to be a sound woman.

Top Bottom