What's new

I’m RUINED!!!!

You know, you said something earlier I just caught. You're not sure where you're going. What an honest statement! I had an idea in mind when I started, but it was way off.

In the meantime, try your best to enjoy every smoke. You'll soon learn what you like. You'll soon learn the direction you're heading.
I’m finding I like this kind of deep fruity taste. I can only describe it as “purple” tasting. Is it the plum flavor I hear about? What makes it? I also seem to abget a taste or smell my brain interprets as perfume sometimes….ideas?

I think I need to start a mini notebook so I can start pinning things down.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I’m finding I like this kind of deep fruity taste. I can only describe it as “purple” tasting. Is it the plum flavor I hear about? What makes it? I also seem to abget a taste or smell my brain interprets as perfume sometimes….ideas?

I think I need to start a mini notebook so I can start pinning things down.

Expect variability.

Different pipes, different cadence, different pack, different ambient settings (weather, humidity, background scents etc) can all produce differences from the same blend. So don't try to pin it down too much. Just go with the flow, and enjoy the journey each bowl takes you on.

Some days you might find a blend really hits the spot, but on another day, it wasn't quite the right pipe or blend for that moment. I'm very fussy as to when I want a mild English with Latakia, but in those moments where it feels right, there's nothing finer. At any other time, I can find Latakia quite obnoxious.

After a while, whether you take notes or not, you'll develop a feel for what the right smoke for the moment is, just as readily as you know what you fancy to eat for lunch or dinner. When you get to the point of not having to think about it, and just going with what feels right in the moment, that's where (I believe) the best smokes start to happen.

Expect variability.

Different pipes, different cadence, different pack, different ambient settings (weather, humidity, background scents etc) can all produce differences from the same blend. So don't try to pin it down too much. Just go with the flow, and enjoy the journey each bowl takes you on.

Some days you might find a blend really hits the spot, but on another day, it wasn't quite the right pipe or blend for that moment. I'm very fussy as to when I want a mild English with Latakia, but in those moments where it feels right, there's nothing finer. At any other time, I can find Latakia quite obnoxious.

After a while, whether you take notes or not, you'll develop a feel for what the right smoke for the moment is, just as readily as you know what you fancy to eat for lunch or dinner. When you get to the point of not having to think about it, and just going with what feels right in the moment, that's where (I believe) the best smokes start to happen.

The thing of all this is…I have such a library of samples now I’d like to pin down what I like or atleast species I like. Since almost anything good I have to order in, I want to make sure there’s a strong possibility of liking it.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The thing of all this is…I have such a library of samples now I’d like to pin down what I like or atleast species I like. Since almost anything good I have to order in, I want to make sure there’s a strong possibility of liking it.

Ah yes, I did something similar when I first started broadening the horizons of blends tried. Even so, there were some I tried that I liked on one smoke, which for whatever reason, I was less fond of on the next bowl. Germain's 1820 flake was one of those. I like it, but am kind of fussy as to when I like it, if that makes sense.

You guys are funny. I manage to stay out of here because I refuse to buy another pipe until I find the ones I have. They got shuffled off years ago when I was smoking too much (imo).
I do miss perusing the jars in my local tobacco shops though...

Top Bottom