What's new

I'm ready to order my first expensive razor, help me make a decision!!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
“Explain to me how this one is different. 😐

Edit: Also, thanks you West Coast Shaving for not putting prices on the invoice. You’re a True Friend. A real Husband with a Wife. That’s customer service as far as I’m concerned.

You know, I was going to make my latest order from West Coast Shaving, until I saw their prices were 3 dollars more then other sites, including the OEM site. They need to drop their prices to compete with other's better. They should never be more expensive then the OEM site at the very least. Anyways, I ordered from ShaveNation for my first time, and its already been shipped out today.

But yes, keeping the prices off of the invoices, is the only way you will survive your war department. This way it keeps you out of the doghouse, cause you and I both know, if she saw how much you paid for your Timeless razor, you'd be in the doghouse lol. 🤣

You know, I was going to make my latest order from West Coast Shaving, until I saw their prices were 3 dollars more then other sites, including the OEM site. They need to drop their prices to compete with other's better. They should never be more expensive then the OEM site at the very least. Anyways, I ordered from ShaveNation for my first time, and its already been shipped out today.
Funny how that works! I've never ordered from ShaveNation because found their prices more expensive and have never received any discount codes. Lots of advertisement emails but no discounts!
West coast shaving I've found might be slightly higher on some things but they're always running sales and have frequent discount codes. That's where I got my Karve brass razor on sale. I paid $49 + shipping where everywhere else (including Karve's website) was $80 + shipping. I saved $32 buying it from WCS vs. buying it straight from Karve.

“Explain to me how this one is different. 😐

Edit: Also, thanks you West Coast Shaving for not putting prices on the invoice. You’re a True Friend. A real Husband with a Wife. That’s customer service as far as I’m concerned.
My wife cares not what I spend on razors as long as she knows which ones are worth selling if I drop dead unexpectedly. :) In the meantime she is busy trying to wedge another dress or pair of shoes into her stuffed #2 walk in closet.

But yes, keeping the prices off of the invoices, is the only way you will survive your war department. This way it keeps you out of the doghouse, cause you and I both know, if she saw how much you paid for your Timeless razor, you'd be in the doghouse lol. 🤣

I charged my Timeless to a credit card and then used some of that card’s reward points to pay it off.
I will make another payment slightly more than the cost of my incoming Yates soon (thanks B&B BST!).

……….see? “Financially responsible”, that’s me. <joke>

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Funny how that works! I've never ordered from ShaveNation because found their prices more expensive and have never received any discount codes. Lots of advertisement emails but no discounts!
West coast shaving I've found might be slightly higher on some things but they're always running sales and have frequent discount codes. That's where I got my Karve brass razor on sale. I paid $49 + shipping where everywhere else (including Karve's website) was $80 + shipping. I saved $32 buying it from WCS vs. buying it straight from Karve.
Don't forget to check out Maggards prices. I've got lots of stuff from them. ShaveNation has great prices on brushes when you consider the difference in currency. They had the lowest price shipped, when I ordered my Mistura from them.

~doug~

Just got home and unboxed my new ATT 0.91 aluminum/stainless (by error) razor!
So I purchased the head "new", the handle "scratch & dent" and the base plate from the "ugly stuff" section.
I can't see any indication of anything making it scratch and dent. It's pretty flawless!
The reason I put "by error" for the handle is because I ordered an aluminum bamboo handle. I unboxed it and found a stainless steel handle. The aluminum bamboo handle is supposed to be black! So the head & base is aluminum and the handle is stainless. 3 colors, LOL!!
But it looks and feels very balanced with the "multi metal" combination. Either way I emailed ATT to let them know of the issue and so they could decide whether I can keep this handle or swap for the correct aluminum one. I'd be content with either so it's a no big deal error on their part. I also thought about the fact that maybe they substituted it due to a possible no stock issue on the aluminum handle. Who knows! We'll see what they say!
To my surprise, I bought 3 different separate parts and expected a box of parts.
Not ATT! They delivered it as a fully assembled razor in a nice box.
They're definitely first class!
The blade exposure on this thing is something else. It's 2X more as compared to my stainless Windsor (shown on the last picture). It's gotta have a lot of blade feel. Can't wait to try it out!
Anyways, here it is,
I'll do a shave report tomorrow:

PXL_20220623_212436062.jpg
PXL_20220623_212538774.jpg
PXL_20220623_212554186.jpg
PXL_20220623_212604832_2.jpg

20220623-180803.png

Last edited:
So I purchased the head "new", the handle "scratch & dent" and the base plate from the "ugly stuff" section.
I can't see any indication of anything making it scratch and dent. It's pretty flawless!
The reason I put "by error" for the handle is because I ordered an aluminum bamboo handle. I unboxed it and found a stainless steel handle. The aluminum bamboo handle is supposed to be black! So the head & base is aluminum and the handle is stainless. 3 colors, LOL!!
But it looks and feels very balanced with the "multi metal" combination. Either way I emailed ATT to let them know of the issue and so they could decide whether I can keep this handle or swap for the correct aluminum one. I'd be content with either so it's a no big deal error on their part. I also thought about the fact that maybe they substituted it due to a possible no stock issue on the aluminum handle. Who knows! We'll see what they say!
To my surprise, I bought 3 different separate parts and expected a box of parts.
The blade exposure on this thing is something else. It's 2X more as compared to my stainless Windsor (shown on the last picture). It's gotta have a lot of blade feel. Can't wait to try it out!
Anyways, here it is,

View attachment 1477088View attachment 1477085View attachment 1477087View attachment 1477086
View attachment 1477090
Cool. I have the stainless Windsor Pro baseplate with the 90 blade gap which I would assume is similar to the aluminum plate. I find it shaves smoother than SSRH but not quite as efficient. Maybe you’ll have a different take…..let us know.

Cool. I have the stainless Windsor Pro baseplate with the 90 blade gap which I would assume is similar to the aluminum plate. I find it shaves smoother than SSRH but not quite as efficient. Maybe you’ll have a different take…..let us know.
Yep, we'll see. This one's .91 but the aluminum Windsor models brings out the blade exposure substantially. I don't know though how similar the Pro is to the normal USA made Windsor. I've read they're quite different. You've got both so what do you think?

Yep, we'll see. This one's .91 but the aluminum Windsor models brings out the blade exposure substantially. I don't know though how similar the Pro is to the normal USA made Windsor. I've read they're quite different. You've got both so what do you think?
I have the Pro base only and use it with the regular Windsor cap so it’s not a complete Windsor Pro head but like I said I find the Pro base to shave smoother than SSRH plate but not quite as efficient. Not sure how the actual blade exposure compares….seems similar. Never tried the AL versions…..bet it shaves well.

I have the Pro base only and use it with the regular Windsor cap so it’s not a complete Windsor Pro head but like I said I find the Pro base to shave smoother than SSRH plate but not quite as efficient. Not sure how the actual blade exposure compares….seems similar. Never tried the AL versions…..bet it shaves well.
This one's all Windsor. Top and bottom! Hopefully it does shave well. I'll buy a Pro at some point to compare. I was just looking at it again and the exposure is pretty massive. My Windsor SSRH blade exposure looks miniscule in comparison. So much so that it will require care when handling. Looks like it would easily slice my finger, Lol!

This one's all Windsor. Top and bottom! Hopefully it does shave well. I'll buy a Pro at some point to compare. I was just looking at it again and the exposure is pretty massive. My Windsor SSRH blade exposure looks miniscule in comparison. So much so that it will require care when handling. Looks like it would easily slice my finger, Lol!
Sounds like super efficiency coming your way. Hope it shaves well.

I just received an email from ATT. They said they were sorry for the mistake with the handle. They offered for me to keep the stainless handle and would also send me the aluminum handle.:oops:
I told them I'd try the stainless and if I don't like it, I'd trade it (even swap) for the aluminum!
ATT's customer service is stellar!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Anyways, here it is,

View attachment 1477088View attachment 1477085View attachment 1477087View attachment 1477086
View attachment 1477090

Hello Rod, congrats on your new razor! While I am not a big fan of the handle design (aesthetically speaking), I have no doubt it will allow you to grip the razor with ease, with that aggressive design. I am however, a fan of that blue baseplate, the color contrast between it and the top cap is a nice one. Its kind of sexy to be honest, I hope you take more pictures showing that at different angles.

I know what your thinking, if a woman hears me call a razor sexy, she's gonna shake her head and think I am crazy. :letterk1: But, I am honest person, and I am gonna be dead honest with ya, no woman ever made me happy in life, and neither did any girl when I was in high school either. These razors are a match made for the male persuasion, but can also be used by the female persuasion.

I can't wait for your shave report, well, I can, I just don't wanna lol! I know I know, I am one impatient person, I am like Varuca Assault, I want it now! lol
Give It To Me Want GIF

Hello Rod, congrats on your new razor! While I am not a big fan of the handle design (aesthetically speaking), I have no doubt it will allow you to grip the razor with ease, with that aggressive design. I am however, a fan of that blue baseplate, the color contrast between it and the top cap is a nice one. Its kind of sexy to be honest, I hope you take more pictures showing that at different angles.

I know what your thinking, if a woman hears me call a razor sexy, she's gonna shake her head and think I am crazy. :letterk1: But, I am honest person, and I am gonna be dead honest with ya, no woman ever made me happy in life, and neither did any girl when I was in high school either. These razors are a match made for the male persuasion, but can also be used by the female persuasion.

I can't wait for your shave report, well, I can, I just don't wanna lol! I know I know, I am one impatient person, I am like Varuca Assault, I want it now! lol
Give It To Me Want GIF
Honestly I wasn't a fan of the handle design either. I wanted to piece this razor together (on the cheap) by using the scratch & dent stuff and that was the most economical way to go. I figured that if I wouldn't like it, I could just change it for whatever other handle. But after seeing it and handling it (the stainless one) in person, I really like how it looks. Sometimes pictures don't look as good as the actual item. So yes, I actually like it, LOL!! I'm happy.
Thank you for the compliment!

Last edited:
Quick review of shave #1 with my new ATT 0.91 Aluminum/Stainless!
1 day of growth, my normal nightly 2 pass WTG/XTG, Gillette Platinum blade.

Before anything, I have to point out the quality of this USA made razor. ATT makes great razors!
First pass was more efficient than anything I've used (ever). I'm comparing to my ATT Windsor SS 0.80 and my Karve CB brass with 0.98 D plate. Up to now, they have been my most efficient. It's ridiculously efficient to the point that my first pass had equivalent results to my normal second pass with my other razors. This might be the norm for some but for me it's not. It's left me stunned!
Is it as smooth as my 0.80 Windsor? No!
But that's fine by me. It's smooth enough for my liking since I value efficiency and blade feel more than the smoothness. This razor has twice the blade feel than my standard SS Windsor. 2mm blade exposure from the top cap vs. 1mm respectively!
The aluminum head sings! It's got incredible audible feedback and you can really hear that blade cutting. Very enjoyable for me!
I'm really glad that they mistakenly sent me the stainless handle (I'm keeping it). It pairs very well with the aluminum top parts giving it a bit of needed weight (no pressing required). At no point did it feel like it was going to bite. It felt safe the whole time. It's very balanced!
The shaving angle range is narrow and I discovered that the normal 30 degrees works best. Riding the cap and going steep really didn't work well (I tried several angles). That's fine for me since I normally shave at about a 30 degree angle. Edging my goatee was fantastic with this razor. Works better than my SS Windsor since the head is more narrow. It's very intuitive and didn't have any learning curve for me.

Second pass was as good as the first. I could still hear it cutting up whiskers.
By the time I was done, I didn't get my normal DFS. I got a near BBS shave which I had never experienced.
And it all went smoothly with no nicks, cuts or weepers.
Total cost to build this wonderful razor was $72
I couldn't be happier with the razor and the results!
A+ for the razor, the USA made quality and ATT's customer service.
LRod

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Quick review of shave #1 with my new ATT 0.91 Aluminum/Stainless!
1 day of growth, my normal nightly 2 pass WTG/XTG, Gillette Platinum blade.

Before anything, I have to point out the quality of this USA made razor. ATT makes great razors!
First pass was more efficient than anything I've used (ever). I'm comparing to my ATT Windsor SS 0.80 and my Karve CB brass with 0.98 D plate. Up to now, they have been my most efficient. It's ridiculously efficient to the point that my first pass had equivalent results to my normal second pass with my other razors. This might be the norm for some but for me it's not. It's left me stunned!
Is it as smooth as my 0.80 Windsor? No!
But that's fine by me. It's smooth enough for my liking since I value efficiency and blade feel more than the smoothness. This razor has twice the blade feel than my standard SS Windsor. 2mm blade exposure from the top cap vs. 1mm respectively!
The aluminum head sings! It's got incredible audible feedback and you can really hear that blade cutting. Very enjoyable for me!
I'm really glad that they mistakenly sent me the stainless handle (I'm keeping it). It pairs very well with the aluminum top parts giving it a bit of needed weight (no pressing required). At no point did it feel like it was going to bite. It felt safe the whole time. It's very balanced!
The shaving angle is narrow and I discovered that the normal 30 degrees works best. Riding the cap and going steep really didn't work well (I tried several angles). Edging my goatee was fantastic with this razor. Works better than my SS Windsor since the head is more narrow. It's very intuitive and didn't have any learning curve for me.

Second pass was as good as the first. I could still hearing it cutting up whiskers.
By the time I was done, I didn't get my normal DFS. I got a near BBS shave which I had never experienced.
And it all went smoothly with no nicks, cuts or weepers.
Total cost to build this wonderful razor was $72
I couldn't be happier with the razor and the results!
A+ for the razor, the USA made quality and ATT's customer service.
LRod
Nice review.... ATT needs to put you on commission....

So, that's called blade reveal not exposure. That's a feature of the newest Windsor design, that it clamps the blade closer to the edge. I suspect you already figured this out after shaving with it though...

If you look at the blade corner on the right in comparison to the baseplate... wait a minute, you don't have the blade centred properly. Uh oh! :scared:

So, that's called blade reveal not exposure. That's a feature of the newest Windsor design, that it clamps the blade closer to the edge. I suspect you already figured this out after shaving with it though...

If you look at the blade corner on the right in comparison to the baseplate... wait a minute, you don't have the blade centred properly. Uh oh! :scared:
Yeah I used the wrong wording!
It's centered correctly. It's the camera angle. I saw that in the picture (before shaving) and then physically saw it and it's fine.
One thing I've noticed about the ATT's is that it's pretty impossible to not get it to align. Those little pins work really well and you can hear when they insert themselves into to the blade holes. It's pretty foolproof despite the way it looks (as if it shouldn't work).
My Windsor SS has never not worked as advertised and this aluminum one is the exact same design.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Honestly I wasn't a fan of the handle design either. I wanted to piece this razor together (on the cheap) by using the scratch & dent stuff and that was the most economical way to go. I figured that if I wouldn't like it, I could just change it for whatever other handle. But after seeing it and handling it (the stainless one) in person, I really like how it looks. Sometimes pictures don't look as good as the actual item. So yes, I actually like it, LOL!! I'm happy.
Thank you for the compliment!
On the subject of the handle options, I have grown to be a great fan of the short barber pole handle. The knurled Kronos is a tad grippier, but I still give the edge to the Atlas.

Top Bottom