What's new

I'm ready to order my first expensive razor, help me make a decision!!

Alright folks, so I'm ready to buy!
I need your help on what razor to pick!
Note: I've never even touched a high end razor so this will be fun!
You might have seen the thread I created a couple days ago:

I made that thread in order to get an idea of what the "quality" difference was between a lower cost razor and a "premium" razor.
You all racked up 5 pages worth of posts in that thread and it was full of excellent information!
Based on the information you posted, I now know that I want at least one premium razor which will cure my RAD (for now), LOL!!
I've set the budget up to $200 for my new razor to be. I might stretch it to $250 if need be or can be obviously less than $200!

My shaving habits are:
Daily 2 pass WTG & XTG night shaver which is content with a DFS. I like smooth but also like some blade feel and tend to favor razors that are mid to upper mid aggressiveness. Razorock Lupo .72 has been a decent performer so far for my particular results.
I also tend to favor razors with heads that aren't huge. For reference, I bought and tried a Merkur Futur and sold it the following week!
Short/mid size handles are my favorites!

Now the fun part. These are the ones I'm primarily looking at.
All models I'm looking at are closed comb and I most value function above aesthetics!
These are the top 3:
1. Tatara Masamune Nodachi with the Muramasa handle
2. Yates 921 machined or maybe polished with the H plate
3. Blackland Blackbird stainless machined with standard handle

Tatara.jpg
Yates.jpg
Blackbird.jpg

Next up are other possible contenders:
4. Timeless .95 stainless Matte or Polished with Barber pole handle (I can always build this one out in the scratch and dent section and it would be cheaper)
5. Above The Tie .80 Windsor Brushed matte finish with Kronos Handle
6. Karve Christopher Bradley Stainless with C or D plate and short handle
7. Karve Christopher Bradley Brass with C or D plate and short handle (This is the cheapest of the bunch but I added it because of the praise that it gets)
8. Timeless .38 Bronze (I can always build this one out in the scratch and dent section as well and it would be cheaper)

Timeless.jpg
ATT.jpg
Karve stainless.jpg
Karve Brass.jpg
Timeless Bronze.jpg

So that's the (long) list making it tough to choose one.
I'd love to hear experiences and opinions on the brands/models that I've listed.
Your opinions matter and would help me narrow one down to what might work for me.
I hope to have one of them ordered in the next couple days.

LRod

Last edited:
I'm resisting the Tatara temptation myself... so lean towards your #1 in the list. I'd be ordering the Masamune with an extra Nodachi base plate just in case as I rather like my current Henson AL13 so like 'em mild I guess... and that's one plus point for the Tatara & the Christopher Bradley in that you can adjust the blade exposure/gap with alternate plates.

Or a Henson Titanium which is available in aggressive for you :letterk1:

Expensive razor and Arko - that's my plan, lol. Maybe. Must resist...

I haven’t tried them all but the Timeless OC razors are nice.

Henson’s are also very good. If you want expensive, their titanium model matches that criteria.
I'm only looking at closed comb and my budget is $200 (maybe $250). So the titanium ones are out of the question. (other ones excluding the Henson). I already have "The winning razor" in my den which is essentially a stainless Henson. The models I listed are the ones that I'm really looking at.

I'm resisting the Tatara temptation myself... so lean towards your #1 in the list. I'd be ordering the Masamune with an extra Nodachi base plate just in case as I rather like my current Henson AL13 so like 'em mild I guess... and that's one plus point for the Tatara & the Christopher Bradley in that you can adjust the blade exposure/gap with alternate plates.

Or a Henson Titanium which is available in aggressive for you :letterk1:

Expensive razor and Arko - that's my plan, lol. Maybe. Must resist...
I already have "The winning razor" in my den which is essentially a stainless Henson.
The Tatara looks awesome for the price and I hear that the build quality is something else.

I made that thread in order to get an idea of what the "quality" difference was between a lower cost razor and a "premium" razor.
You all racked up 5 pages worth of posts in that thread and it was full of excellent information!
Based on the information you posted, I now know that I want at least one premium razor which will cure my RAD (for now), LOL!!
I've set the budget up to $200 for my new razor to be. I might stretch it to $250 if need be or can be obviously less than $200!

My shaving habits are:
Daily 2 pass WTG & XTG night shaver which is content with a DFS. I like smooth but also like some blade feel and tend to favor razors that are mid to upper mid aggressiveness. Razorock Lupo .72 has been a decent performer so far for my particular results.
I also tend to favor razors with heads that aren't huge. For reference, I bought and tried a Merkur Futur and sold it the following week!

All models I'm looking at are closed comb and I most value function above aesthetics!
These are the top 3:

View attachment 1459242View attachment 1459241View attachment 1459240

4. Timeless .95 stainless Matte or Polished with Barber pole handle (I can always build this one out in the scratch and dent section and it would be cheaper)
7. Karve Christopher Bradley Brass with C or D plate and short handle (This is the cheapest of the bunch but I added it because of the praise that it gets)
8. Timeless .38 Bronze (I can always build this one out in the scratch and dent section as well and it would be cheaper)

View attachment 1459261View attachment 1459260View attachment 1459259View attachment 1459258View attachment 1459257

I'd love to hear experiences and opinions on the brands/models that I've listed.
Your opinions matter and would help me narrow one down to what might work for me.

LRod
I have been very pleased with the build quality and the shaving experience with the
8. Timeless .38 Bronze.

I have been very pleased with the build quality and the shaving experience with the
8. Timeless .38 Bronze.
Lets hear about it's performance?
I've heard that the .38 blade gap means nothing on this razor and that it's actually more efficient/agressive than how it's perceived. That's why it made it on my list even though I favor presumably higher blade gaps that would produce higher efficiency (plus it's pretty in that bronze finish), LOL!!
What do you think?

I have had a Masamune for a while now and I find it excellent in every way, I can highly recommend Tatara razors. Having said that, I haven’t used any other “premium” razors that I can compare it to. Charcoal Goods level2 is very highly regarded, perhaps consider that as another option not on your list.

My shaving habits are:

These are the top 3:

View attachment 1459242View attachment 1459241View attachment 1459240

View attachment 1459261View attachment 1459260View attachment 1459259View attachment 1459258View attachment 1459257

LRod
That's a bunch of very nice razors.

Prior to providing any more detailed advice to you, it perhaps might be helpful to understand your expectations better:
Do you seek to stick with 2 passes per shave? Why do you avoid atg?
If you seek to change parameters, what are you intending to change with the upcoming razor (shave wise, not asking wrt "better" quality, say zamac vs SS or any other metal being reputated to be of better quality)? Or do you just seek to keep the performance level of your current razors?

Pls help us - so we can help you (even better).

Ps: Sorry if I have missed any information I have asked for.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I would like to point out that the dimples of the Masamune handle DO NOT provide the grip. The Nodachi handle has the same grippy coating and I am fairly sure you would like it better.

I would buy a Timeless Slim OC with the Crown or Barberpole handle. Polished.

I don't know how the Blackbird looks machined but it seems to be quite fine, as this is going to be your fancy razor you might want to go all in, IMO.

If you get the Tatara Masamune Nodachi, I would take the Nodachi handle and absolutely recommend getting the stand for it as well.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Very tough question to pick one given all these great contenders. I haven’t tried and am resisting Tatara. Going with my gut my answer is timeless stainless.

Tatara Masamune and Nodachi are the best I’ve experienced. I can mix and match for gap and exposure, but the blade clamping and alignment are perfect. The Masamune with a Kai blade is the smoothest and closest irritation free shave you could want. You can use that combo for an autopilot type, cut free shave daily. With the Nodachi, you need a little care with sharper blades since the gap is 0.9mm and has a positive blade exposure.

I've considered most of the razors on that list.
The Timeless 95, Yates (polished) and Tatara are the ones I've been the closest to pulling the trigger on, several times.
The rest I have no interest in.

The Masamune with a Kai blade is the smoothest and closest irritation free shave you could want.
I find it interesting that you say that. I’ve been trying different blades in the Masamune and so far Kai is my least favourite. Personally I like Nacets best in it. It’s hard to give advice on these things when everyone is different.

FWIW, I was never able to get along with my Tatara Nodachi. It is a bit harsh and doesn’t give me a particularly close shave for all this harshness. Maybe I need to keep trying different techniques, but still it hasn’t been a razor that readily worked well for me.

The razors you list are all quite different. The Blackbird will give you a rougher blade feel on your skin but it will yield effortless super-close shaves - it is one of the best high-efficiency razors. The Timeless 0.38 Bronze is the opposite - very gentle and mild, but won’t be as close as a more aggressive razor. The ATT, Timeless 0.95, Karve CB C/D plates will be in the middle.

I guess (like me when I started buying razors) you don’t yet know exactly how efficient or mild you prefer your razors to be, and what will give you the best shave with the least irritation (milder razors can lead to irritation and weepers too if you need to go over areas more times to get a satisfactory result).

I recommend a razor that isn’t on your list - the Karve Overlander. It is one of the mildest feeling razors, almost impossible to get irritation or nicks even if you over-shave, and somehow it still gives very close, smooth shaves. It is quite exceptional, it would work really well for anybody, and it is very accommodating to different techniques and angles. I think it shaves closer than most of these razors but feels gentler than all of them. It is an incredible bargain at $100 for the brass model, and outperforms any mild-medium efficiency razors at multiples of the price. No matter where you go in your shaving journey it will remain a razor you will always use a lot. If you don’t like the looks you can always get a Karve CB handle and put that on instead, but I found I like the Overlander handle when I saw it for real.

All the razors you list are good ones, though, except that I can’t attest to the Tatara because it just didn’t suit me for some reason.

B5682EF2-90AE-4CEC-8067-B0F79341AB94.jpeg

Last edited:
My shaving habits are:
When I’ll buy a new razor that’s the points I always check:

1. Weight

If it’s your first expensive razor, be advised that SS razors are much heavier than Zamak razors. I like razor with weight around 100 grams. I’ve bought a Wolfie that weighs 130g and I have to get another handle to solve the problem (more $$$ :( ). Some SS razors are a Thor’s hammer :) (Timeless).

2. Shaving angle.

Some razor are best using neutral angle, some shallow, some steep. I like steep angle. I never get a CB Karve because using a shallow angle seems unnatural to me. See your style first.

3. Blade feel

Some people love blade feel, some hate. I like some blade feel, it’s important to feel where the blade is. My 1.25 Wolfie when using a super steep angle is like shaving without a blade. Many times I overshave. I’m adjusting my technique with this razor. For now, my Blackbird is the sweet spot, there is a enjoyable blade feel.

4. Efficacy

Some people have thin hair, some course. Some have dense beards, some not. Define if you need a high efficient razor or not.

5. Finish

Some finishes have “drag” or “suction” feeling. I really don’t like dragging. I sold my 6S because of the dragging. I always opted for polished finishes when available.

6. Handle length

Some people prefer short handles, some long handles

7. Material

Some like patina, some don’t.

In conclusion

Compare the features you like in the razors you already have and see what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom