What's new

I'm ready to order my first expensive razor, help me make a decision!!

I had my first shave with the Windsor!:)
I couldn't wait!
I usually shave after a bath, right before bed. Not this time!
I did a quick pre-shave prep which was probably the quickest prep I've done.
Some hot water on the face, brushed on some TOBS Cedarwood and done!
The end result:
A most excellent 2 pass WTG/XTG shave that resulted in a DFS+
No cuts, razorburn, irritation etc..
I used a Bic blade for this first shave. I let the razor do all the work and applied zero pressure.
Incredibly efficient and very smooth. Closest shave I've had. To compare: My most efficient/aggressive razors would
be my Lupo .72 and my Pearl Flexi adjustable. Both are great but the Windsor without a doubt shaves closer. Smoothness in on par with the Lupo.
The angle felt natural, so no learning curve with that aspect. What I will have to get used to is the fully covered blade.
It felt weird trying to reach the sides of my goatee for edging. I felt like I had to push the razor closer in, in order for it to do that part of the job. But with practice, I'll get it.
Next up I'll be experimenting with other blades. I'd like to try a Feather & Astra to see how those work out.
Was it worth the price?
For me, Yes!
And it won't be the last, LOL!!!

By the way, as previously mentioned, the 2 little mini posts/tabs that hold the blade are extremely small. I still can't figure out how they work but they really do work. Zero blade movement!
I kept looking at it and thinking: "Is the blade really engaged"? LOL!!
As advised, I set the cap upside down and dropped in the blade and assembled it that way (upside down).
Worked great!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I couldn't wait!
The end result:
I used a Bic blade for this first shave. I let the razor do all the work and applied zero pressure.
Incredibly efficient and very smooth. Closest shave I've had. To compare: My most efficient/aggressive razors would
be my Lupo .72 and my Pearl Flexi adjustable. Both are great but the Windsor without a doubt shaves closer. Smoothness in on par with the Lupo.
The angle felt natural, so no learning curve with that aspect. What I will have to get used to is the fully covered blade.
It felt weird trying to reach the sides of my goatee for edging. I felt like I had to push the razor closer in, in order for it to do that part of the job. But with practice, I'll get it.
Next up I'll be experimenting with other blades. I'd like to try a Feather & Astra to see how those work out.
Was it worth the price?
For me, Yes!

This is so awesome to hear! I am so glad that the shave went well! As you know, with any new razor, you have to learn how to manage it, they are all different. So, your method will indeed change, as you use it, and you will get better with it.

And yes LRod, when I give an order for a blade to engage, it will engage. So trust me, it was well engaged, and your razor dispatched your whiskers with great dispatch! Congrats!

The only razor I've had that is heavier is the Timeless Bronze....that thing is a tank.
As much as I liked the Timeless Bronze, I won't get one then. I like heavy to the point of this Windsor but beyond that would be too much for my taste.

I couldn't wait!
The end result:
Was it worth the price?
For me, Yes!
Sounds like a great first shave. Thanks for the report. How was the blade feel? Is it enough for you?

I couldn't wait!
The end result:
Was it worth the price?
For me, Yes!
Sounds like a great Shave! Success! :a17:
How was the blade feel? Is it enough for you?
Same Question?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Late to seeing this bit congrats! Pretty cool
Looking razor. I thought I read somewhere that att wasn’t made in the us anymore. Looks like that was wrong. Glad your enjoying it.
Att has a nice audible thing going on too.

Sounds like a great first shave. Thanks for the report. How was the blade feel? Is it enough for you?
Yes, forgot to mention that part. It has enough blade feel to feel and hear what's going on.
With this razor I can more so define what I like in a razor. I'm definitely in the "agressive & blade feel" camp.

A hearty congrats and well done. I'm so glad the research paid off for you.

And thanks again for an engaging couple of threads including us all in your research.
I think I mentioned it before. I research the heck out of everything. It's part of the fun!
I'll be buying other different razors and those will be on here as well for answers from you all!
I thank you guys for the help!

Late to seeing this bit congrats! Pretty cool
Looking razor. I thought I read somewhere that att wasn’t made in the us anymore. Looks like that was wrong. Glad your enjoying it.
Att has a nice audible thing going on too.
The standard Windsor (the one I bought) is completely USA made. They have the $99 Windsor pro as well which is Made in China. It's very different than this one though. But I've heard that it's actually really good because it's made to ATT's standards.
I do have a Yaqi agressive slant head and I got it because it was $7 and I was curious about how slants work. It was a cheap way to experiment, but that as far as I'll ever go in buying a Chinese razor.

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I think I mentioned it before. I research the heck out of everything. It's part of the fun!
I'll be buying other different razors and those will be on here as well for answers from you all!
I thank you guys for the help!

I also research the heck out of things. I wouldn't have got my TT otherwise hehe.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Looks like the r1 that I have is discontinued. Haven’t checked them out in awhile.
The 80 is probably a little too much for me but glad to hear it’s smooth. Enjoy it!
A hearty congrats and well done. I'm so glad the research paid off for you.

And thanks again for an engaging couple of threads including us all in your research.
Same been a good read for sure.

Looks like the r1 that I have is discontinued. Haven’t checked them out in awhile.
The 80 is probably a little too much for me but glad to hear it’s smooth. Enjoy it!

Thanks
Looks like they trimmed down what they offer!

I have all the old Classic plates and cap, really liked the R1 though it was far from perfect. It’s a razor set that I rarely use but can’t bring myself to sell. Probably because it was my first “Expensive” razor purchase in 2015. And they are the year engraved plates.

They do have the newer SSMR with a .40 gap which could fit the bill if you’re again interested in them.

I really like what they’ve done with the SSMR and SSRH plates the Windsor design really did fix a few of the flaws in the Classic M,R, and H plates.

That being said I have also really enjoyed following along in this thread. Happy Shaves @LRod :thumbup1:

Yes, forgot to mention that part. It has enough blade feel to feel and hear what's going on.
With this razor I can more so define what I like in a razor. I'm definitely in the "agressive & blade feel" camp.
I was hoping my feeble attempts of describing the Windsor turned out to be fairly accurate for you. It's not a ton of blade feel but enough to feel and shave comfortably and efficiently.....more than some of the other razors your were considering but less than say the Blackbird. Definitely blade forward, yet comfy.

In other news:
As you all might know, Tatara is coming out with titanium razors. And the Nodachi was one of the ones on my short list.
Well, they sent out an email yesterday morning to everyone that's registered with them in order to sign up. Since I don't have a titanium razor, I decided to put myself on the list for a titanium Nodachi. They will only be making 100 limited edition titanium Nodachi's on the first run and they should be ready in June. I imagine that the list was based on first come first serve.
I registered immediately upon receiving the email so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get one.
I know it's a blind purchase without ever trying or seeing one but that's ok. I'd like a titanium razor + I wanted a Nodachi so it seems like an ok deal for me.
We'll see if one ends up in my den!

Last edited:
In other news:
As you all might know, Tatara is coming out with titanium razors. And the Nodachi was one of the ones on my short list.
Well, they sent out an email yesterday morning to everyone that's registered with them in order to sign up. Since I don't have a titanium razor, I decided to put myself on the list for a titanium Nodachi. They will only be making 100 limited edition titanium Nodachi's on the first run and they should be ready in June. I imagine that the list was based on first come first serve.
I registered immediately upon receiving the email so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get one.
I know it's a blind purchase without ever trying or seeing one but that's ok. I'd like a titanium razor + I wanted a Nodachi so it seems like an ok deal for me.
We'll see if one ends up in my den!
Oh man, Look at you go!! :a29::a29:

Top Bottom