What's new

I'm pretty sure I didn't just destroy my brushes. Please confirm.

Both of those are OK, but they aren't going to hurt the nasty stuff. Basically the same as rubbing alcohol, not a true sterilization. But then, neither is Marvicide. And I couldn't even imagine what a brush would look like that went through an autoclave. Might be worth some experimentation. Maybe I'll buy a Tweezerman and have my wife take it to work... :-D

I would tend to agree with that sentiment. (And I didn't run out and buy some Marvicide when I read that, although I was tempted... :lol:)

That's a pretty slippery slope. If I can justify Marvicide, it's only a hop skip and a jump until I can justify that unicorn horn yeti hair brush I've been eyeing...
Unicorn horn yeti hair brush should be on everyone's exception list. If not, jump ship!

In general:

They don't stick the doorknobs of the restrooms in an autoclave at the hospital.

What Nick said above^

The need to expose your newly acquired shaving gear to a Quasar or quantum black hole, the LHC, autoclaves, home built nuclear reactors, bleach, boiling ammonia, volcanoes, huon energy and anything other than hot soap and water is just ridiculous. If you must, Borax or Barbicide.

I wish there was a badge for boilers.

To the OP, I doubt you did any harm.

Last edited:
I know little of chemistry because it isn't my field, but wouldn't the surfactant properties of creams or soaps we use put a dent into the hydrophobic "shells" of bacteria and germs, causing them to die a sudsy death if the entire brush were put in warm lather/soap water?

I've never heard of people buying used brushes, but I guess there's a first for everything.

I know little of chemistry because it isn't my field, but wouldn't the surfactant properties of creams or soaps we use put a dent into the hydrophobic "shells" of bacteria and germs, causing them to die a sudsy death if the entire brush were put in warm lather/soap water?

Winner winner!

Chicken dinner!

So I guess I was right? I only brought it up because I read a study on the use of triclosin a while back when the FDA announced it was useless, and read how surfactants are good enough to kill germs and bacteria. Even then, apart from oxidization due to environmental factors (e.g. rust), bacteria and germs don't have a stable life outside of a controlled environment outside of heat and moisture, like your body. Even some of the harshest bacteria cripple themselves when in a dry area. So I imagine placing the brush in a warm, turned off oven (pilot light heat) would be enough to kill the bacteria and germs.

That, and the fact that nearly every human pathogen is dead within 48 hours outside of the body, and very, very few can live beyond 2 weeks.
Plus, you are not applying the brush to your internal organs... it is being applied to the surface of your skin.

I wouldn't apply HP to my skin let alone an expensive brush.

That, and the fact that nearly every human pathogen is dead within 48 hours outside of the body, and very, very few can live beyond 2 weeks.
Plus, you are not applying the brush to your internal organs... it is being applied to the surface of your skin.

True, even a baddie like HepC has a body life of around 2 hours outside of the body, I believe. Even the worst, HIV, dies within a quarter of an hour outside the human body.

Last edited:
I have bought very few used brushes outside the really nice vintage ones I rarely use but even the ones I bought new and use regularly I occasionally lather them up good and deep with an anti bacterial soap and let them sit for about 15 minutes and then give them a good rinsing in a mug with clear water running into it until it runs nice and clear. Give em a squeeze, shake them out and let them dry as usual. I don't want any funk in my brushes even if it's my funk. I've been doing this for years and suffered no ill effects to any of my brushes.

I'm telling you, we need a Brush Killer badge.

The list seems to be growing quicker then ever. Not sure why people are doing crazy things to their brushes these days, but they are.

Everyday use: Lather, Rinse, Dry.
Used Brush: Follow the wiki.

Last edited:
The list seems to be growing quicker then ever. Not sure why people are doing crazy things to their brushes these days, but they are.

Everyday use: Lather, Rinse, Dry.
Used Brush: Follow the wiki.

The wiki is all fine and good but I'm sure the author of it will agree there's more than one way to disinfect a dead badger. :laugh:

In general, I'm pretty conservative about what I'll do to a brush. Especially ones that I spent a lot of money on. I was 99.99% sure that the UV light would have no effect, positive or negative. I guess I started this thread just to make sure I didn't get a "Oh my God! You did what?"

Top Bottom