What's new

I'm pretty sure I didn't just destroy my brushes. Please confirm.

This isn't directed to the OP, but for a general audience.

Just for the record, UV sterilization would undoubtably not kill anything on the interior of the brush, which is where most moisture resides and pathogens can hide. Most pathogens cannot survive outside the body for greater than 3 days, so that alone inactivates most organisms. Furthermore, soap and water, or borax, will kill or remove just about anything.

Barbicide is used because it can kill microorganisms in 30 minutes, as opposed to waiting for days and then washing.

Autoclaving, besides being complete overkill and totally ruining the brush, is necessary for surgical instruments and research supplies. In the former to prevent infection, and in the latter to prevent contamination. Even a tiny amount of non-pathogenic bacteria can ruin research samples, so it is imperative that nothing survives which could grow in culture media.

The reality is that people go overboard when it comes to cleaning used shaving supplies. People eat out at restaurants and use utensils that have been in other people's mouths without thinking about it. Granted, they get run through a dishwasher, but the point is still the same. If the idea of using a used brush grosses you out, and the "tried and true" techniques sound dubious to you, I would suggest just buying new going forward.

Big +10,000 there.

More vintage shaving gear has been destroyed by uninformed attempts at "sterilization" than such methods have prevented disease.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
On the topic of people going overboard, I agree. I recently gave a brand new brush a soak in soapy water and the water turned a gross brownish yellow. A lot of people probably don't even do that and just lather up and go right out of the box. So people are okay with rubbing a dead animal's fur all over their faces while the smell of wet animal is still on it but can't handle using a brush that touched another face while soapy and wet. Seems silly to me.

I doubt any damage was done. That thing's made so your wife can stick her fingers in there to cure nail polish, right? If it won't damage her skin, I can't see how it could damage your brush.

I doubt any damage was done. That thing's made so your wife can stick her fingers in there to cure nail polish, right? If it won't damage her skin, I can't see how it could damage your brush.

My thoughts exactly. Honestly, I'm not a germaphobe at all, but I figured 30 seconds bombarded with UV light wouldn't hurt. I DID put my hand in there for two minutes. No heat, nothing that could damage my skin.

i know someone who does this all the time. i honestly don't believe it really does much especially to the inside of the knot. but he has something like this specifically for uv disinfection and he uses it on his razors and brushes all the time he has had no issues at all. i could see where a autoclave could destroy a brush but i highly doubt you did any damage at all.

$box of pain.png

I use Marvicide on occasion as it says on the label safe for brushes. I prepare it per instructions and do the ten minute soak right to the base of the knot and not submerged. It will leave the tips of a brush temporarily blue, but goes away quickly with a hand lather or two. Makes me feel better as I work on the hematology field. It has never effected any brush I have done it to in a negative manner whatsoever. I don't consider you purchasing some of it a break in your sabbatical by the way.

You should be okay, assuming those were organic free-range badgers.
I would suggest several shampoo / complete drying (in sunlight) cycles.

I've seen the UV sterilization devices for sale in the past, and I remember clearly they they use UV-C light. My wife has one of those nail light lamps and they're weak sauce, they barely do the job for the nails! I promise man, you didn't accomplish anything by using it, positive or negative.

Beyond that, the other guys have steered you right. The tried and true methods shared around here work. I also agree with the notion to buy new if cooties or heebee jeebee's are a concern. I personally don't buy used brushes, not because I'm worried about such things, but because I'm someone who is more comfortable with new items in general. That, and there are no brushes in existence that I have to have so bad that I'd buy them used. But thats just me!

Funny thing is, I'm not in any way a germaphobe. I eat food off the floor and touch the handles on public toilets. But I guess I was thinking that if nasties could hide anywhere, it would be in a wad of organic material that was repeatedly rubbed on open wounds.

I wasn't too broken up about it, though. I washed the brushes and they're working their way through my rotation. They're much too nice to not be used. :)

Wet the brush. Freeze the brush. Ice crystals will kill the microorganisms. If you're afraid of virii, use dilute hydrogen peroxide for 10 minutes. 5-10%.
That UV thing is a toy. UV should emit heat.

Wet the brush. Freeze the brush. Ice crystals will kill the microorganisms. If you're afraid of virii, use dilute hydrogen peroxide for 10 minutes. 5-10%.
That UV thing is a toy. UV should emit heat.
Please don't do this freezing therapy. Ice expands and damages things. A good soak in a sanitizing solution will be all that is needed. I probably would consider a mild "boric acid solution soak" after researching the possibilities or contacting a reputable brush maker for suggestions.

A sun bed for your brushes? You're spoiling those bloody things!

P.S. 7.5W is 7.5W. It all ends up as heat. So that would be a possible concern. Does it have a fan? Might make a good brush drier if so.

I use Marvicide on occasion as it says on the label safe for brushes. I prepare it per instructions and do the ten minute soak right to the base of the knot and not submerged. It will leave the tips of a brush temporarily blue, but goes away quickly with a hand lather or two. Makes me feel better as I work on the hematology field. It has never effected any brush I have done it to in a negative manner whatsoever. I don't consider you purchasing some of it a break in your sabbatical by the way.

Just saw this and have to disagree. Shaving related purchases is a shaving related purchase.

although it does have many uses not just for shaving?? either way you guys are better than me there is no way i could go a full year. maybe if they did a quarterly or something i know i could do that.

Just saw this and have to disagree. Shaving related purchases is a shaving related purchase.

I would tend to agree with that sentiment. (And I didn't run out and buy some Marvicide when I read that, although I was tempted... :lol:)

That's a pretty slippery slope. If I can justify Marvicide, it's only a hop skip and a jump until I can justify that unicorn horn yeti hair brush I've been eyeing...

Top Bottom