What's new

I'm not sure about straight razors??

Same here.The wife pushed me to become faster.
These days if in a hurry I can strop,do a 2 pass shave,lather up and brush teeth in 5-6 minutes.:001_302:

I feel like you missed the point I was trying to make, whether you agree with it or not is another thing.

I meant something along these lines. Decision to buy manual or automatic transmission (or a motorcycle or a car) should be just that, decision based on your preferences. And if you really like both, then you buy one of each. However, switching half way on your daily commute is in my opinion a bit of overkill, where switching every other day makes more sense (to me).

Hope that explains what I meant a bit better. No offense or disrespect was intended to those who do switch, it was just my personal opinion, right or wrong. Either way, as much as I like to debate, it's really not worth getting into it further. :D
The way I read it was that if he uses a DE for detail work long term it would defeat the need and purpose of using a SR.

Same here.The wife pushed me to become faster.
These days if in a hurry I can strop,do a 2 pass shave,lather up and brush teeth in 5-6 minutes.:001_302:

Nice one but I will stick with my 20 mins, now she knows what it's like to wait for the bathroom :lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

There is a video I posted once of an old Sheffield grinder shaving at his kitchen table with a cup and a hand held mirror.

The way I read it was that if he uses a DE for detail work long term it would defeat the need and purpose of using a SR.

All good, no worries. :thumbsup:

Sometimes I type too fast and when I read it later I realize my message isn't as clear as it could've been.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I can't honestly say my shaves with any razor have quite met my objectives, but I've not given up.
  • A very close and long lasting shave.
  • A smooth shave (meaning BBS).
  • A Damn Comfortable Shave.
The most important of these to me is comfort.
  • Comfort during the shave.
  • Comfort immediately after the shave.
  • Comfort until the next shave.
The best shaves I've ever had have been given to me by professional barbers. Decades ago, when my father would take me with him to his barbershop. Those shaves were a treat.
PolSilver.SI.Cropped..jpg
Can those professional shaves be duplicated at home?

In the safety razor world finding your blade is of huge importance. Your blade and my blade don't have to be the same. The blade you like best and the blade I like best might be different, but we're likely to agree that our best blade seems to us to be both very sharp and quite smooth. For me, the best DE blade I've tried, and the only one I use anymore is the Polsilver SI, but that's just me.

8-26-18.Hawk.SV.Fern.Manchurian.640.JPG

I have gotten pretty good at shaving with injectors and with a number of DE razors and with the Artist Club safety razors. Of course, like everyone else, I like some razors more than others, but there are a number of safety razors I find quite good for me.

The problem is I've not gotten a perfect shave - an ideal shave as discussed above, an at home barber's shave - with any of them.

proxy.php

I want to be able at home to get the same shaves. With some of my various safety razors I can certainly get a very good shave on a consistent basis. With my Schick Type E-2 my shaves are easy and very good and fast, link; I think of it as being top tier amongst my safety razors, but there are plenty of good razors with the right blade.
upload_2018-12-15_10-12-46.png

It would be incorrect for me to think I've failed as a safety razor shaver. My shaves are quite good with the right safety razor. Still, I've not satisfied my objectives with the safety razor platform. Plus, it has occurred to me that perhaps the old time professional barbers used the straight razor because they realized it was a better tool for the job than the safety razor. Even if they didn't use the straight for that reason, the SR might well be a superior tool for my purposes so I decided to find out.

That quest continues.

I also have to be able to shave in a reasonable amount of time on work days, etc. In terms of satisfying my objectives and meeting my goals with the straight I'm not there yet. Maybe I won't ever be, but I would at least like to find out if I can with the straight razor equal the results I can easily get with the Schick Type E-2 and a Schick Chick blade. Maybe I can, but I don't know yet (I'm only 41 shaves in with the SR and I'll give myself time).

Is there some reason straights are or should be right for everyone? Are people who shave with the straight razor in any way better than cartridge or DE or injector shavers? Does everyone have the time and money and inclination to learn to SR shave, and hone, and strop? To me, the answers are obvious. Of course not!

BOSC.2. Only the SR is allowed in the padded room.jpg

To me, the SR is just another aspect of this hobby and another manifestation of how insane many of us are (in a good way). I've not read this very often, but I've read on this board that many gentlemen attempting to learn the SR abandon the project long before they've shaved a hundred times with the straight. It doesn't seem to me to be an easy endeavor learning the straight, but I'm having fun with it. If I weren't I'd drop the SR and sell my SR stuff.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I can't honestly say my shaves with any razor have quite met my objectives, but I've not given up.
  • A very close and long lasting shave.
  • A smooth shave (meaning BBS).
  • A Damn Comfortable Shave.
The most important of these to me is comfort.
  • Comfort during the shave.
  • Comfort immediately after the shave.
  • Comfort until the next shave.
The best shaves I've ever had have been given to me by professional barbers. Decades ago, when my father would take me with him to his barbershop. Those shaves were a treat.
View attachment 935251
Can those professional shaves be duplicated at home?

In the safety razor world finding your blade is of huge importance. Your blade and my blade don't have to be the same. The blade you like best and the blade I like best might be different, but we're likely to agree that our best blade seems to us to be both very sharp and quite smooth. For me, the best DE blade I've tried, and the only one I use anymore is the Polsilver SI, but that's just me.

View attachment 935255

I have gotten pretty good at shaving with injectors and with a number of DE razors and with the Artist Club safety razors. Of course, like everyone else, I like some razors more than others, but there are a number of safety razors I find quite good for me.

The problem is I've not gotten a perfect shave - an ideal shave as discussed above, an at home barber's shave - with any of them.

proxy.php

I want to be able at home to get the same shaves. With some of my various safety razors I can certainly get a very good shave on a consistent basis. With my Schick Type E-2 my shaves are easy and very good and fast, link; I think of it as being top tier amongst my safety razors, but there are plenty of good razors with the right blade.
View attachment 935270
It would be incorrect for me to think I've failed as a safety razor shaver. My shaves are quite good with the right safety razor. Still, I've not satisfied my objectives with the safety razor platform. Plus, it has occurred to me that perhaps the old time professional barbers used the straight razor because they realized it was a better tool for the job than the safety razor. Even if they didn't use the straight for that reason, the SR might well be a superior tool for my purposes so I decided to find out.

That quest continues.

I also have to be able to shave in a reasonable amount of time on work days, etc. In terms of satisfying my objectives and meeting my goals with the straight I'm not there yet. Maybe I won't ever be, but I would at least like to find out if I can with the straight razor equal the results I can easily get with the Schick Type E-2 and a Schick Chick blade. Maybe I can, but I don't know yet (I'm only 41 shaves in with the SR and I'll give myself time).

Is there some reason straights are or should be right for everyone? Are people who shave with the straight razor in any way better than cartridge or DE or injector shavers? Does everyone have the time and money and inclination to learn to SR shave, and hone, and strop? To me, the answers are obvious. Of course not!

View attachment 935267

To me, the SR is just another aspect of this hobby and another manifestation of how insane many of us are (in a good way). I've not read this very often, but I've read on this board that many gentlemen attempting to learn the SR abandon the project long before they've shaved a hundred times with the straight. It doesn't seem to me to be an easy endeavor learning the straight, but I'm having fun with it. If I weren't I'd drop the SR and sell my SR stuff.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Great post Jim! I agree! Learning to shave with a straight is quite a challenge. It has for me anyway. For me the progress has come but it has been slow. I'm sometimes just impatient and hard on myself.

I figured out that just over a shaves I've come a long ways, but I realize I still have a lot to learn. I remember when the chin and mustache area was a scary place to tread with a straight and it was, because I've cut myself badly there. Now its not so scary, but I still stay on my toes! I can even get a bbs in those areas. Im proud I can even do the fools pass now. I'm just going to take a week or two off from straights, and use a De and give myself a break. Things just have been hectic these past few months, and I'm not sleeping well. My focus is not 100% like it should be with a straight, and that is something that is very important while using a straight, is to be focused.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Great post Jim! I agree! Learning to shave with a straight is quite a challenge. It has for me anyway. For me the progress has come but it has been slow. I'm sometimes just impatient and hard on myself.

I figured out that just over a shaves I've come a long ways, but I realize I still have a lot to learn. I remember when the chin and mustache area was a scary place to tread with a straight and it was, because I've cut myself badly there. Now its not so scary, but I still stay on my toes! I can even get a bbs in those areas. I'm proud I can even do the fools pass now. I'm just going to take a week or two off from straights, and use a De and give myself a break. Things just have been hectic these past few months, and I'm not sleeping well. My focus is not 100% like it should be with a straight, and that is something that is very important while using a straight, is to be focused.

Sounds like a good plan. Could I ask what the fools pass is? I have no idea. It's a term new to me.

Ah, I searched with Mr. Google and discovered it's shaving the upper lip going ATG in a S-N direction, sometimes using both hands. Some guys hold the razor steady and move their skin by slightly nodding their heads. The idea is to keep your nose out of the picture and end up having a nose.

The Fool's Pass is beyond my current ability with the SR, but I'm finally doing the upper lip decently well without S-N.

Happy shaves with all razors,

Jim

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan. Could I ask what the fools pass is? I have no idea. It's a term new to me.

Ah, I searched with Mr. Google and discovered it's shaving the upper lip going ATG in a S-N direction, sometimes using both hands. Some guys hold the razor steady and move their skin by slightly nodding their heads. The idea is to keep your nose out of the picture and end up having a nose.

The Fool's Pass is beyond my current ability with the SR, but I'm finally doing the upper lip decently well without S-N.

Jim
I did one this morning on areas where I normally use the E Type Schick with the same result as the injector. I just had to be more in the moment. The edge was brilliantly sharp having been touched up on the Thuringian yesterday.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I did one this morning on areas where I normally use the E Type Schick with the same result as the injector. I just had to be more in the moment. The edge was brilliantly sharp having been touched up on the Thuringian yesterday.

How is your Thuringian edge as compared to your edges using The Method (films) in terms of smoothness, comfort, sharpness, or whatever?

I know one Thuringian edge does not speak to other Thuringian edges. Technique and method and stones and slurries vary.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim

Fool’s pass is not really needed. It has an appropriate name. I learned to SR shave from my Dad and Grandfather. Both refused to do it.

It stems from the fact that barbers were trained to never do them. That area is packed with nerves and is close to many cranial nerves. Back in the day a cut in that area could have serious consequences considering the lack of antibiotics and general sanitary conditions

I can do them and have but it feels weird going against the teaching that was hammered into me.

In the end I found it wasn’t needed and that a little buffing and XTG could get me the same results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is your Thuringian edge as compared to your edges using The Method (films) in terms of smoothness, comfort, sharpness, or whatever?

I know one Thuringian edge does not speak to other Thuringian edges. Technique and method and stones and slurries vary.

Happy shaves,

Jim
So, the Thuringian is my touch up stone for those previously honed with films. I have to remember which and how many layers of electrical tape to use...LOL!!

I don't shave off the Thuringian, but polish with diamond or chromium oxide followed by horse hide stropping. If figure having a touch up stone will ensure I never need to set the bevel again.

I have this one 4/8 razor that I received shave ready, appears to be factory and never used. Very old razor. Its full hollow and a shoulderless version. I can't figure why its so sharp. I have to really be careful and the audibles are loud for a small blade. My point it, there is a "sharp" that is not comfortable, but effective non the less.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Fool’s pass is not really needed. It has an appropriate name. I learned to SR shave from my Dad and Grandfather. Both refused to do it.

It stems from the fact that barbers were trained to never do them. That area is packed with nerves and is close to many cranial nerves. Back in the day a cut in that area could have serious consequences considering the lack of antibiotics and general sanitary conditions

I can do them and have but it feels weird going against the teaching that was hammered into me.

In the end I found it wasn’t needed and that a little buffing and XTG could get me the same result.

Good points and well made. Thanks.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So, the Thuringian is my touch up stone for those previously honed with films. I have to remember which and how many layers of electrical tape to use...LOL!!

I don't shave off the Thuringian, but polish with diamond or chromium oxide followed by horse hide stropping. If figure having a touch up stone will ensure I never need to set the bevel again.

I have this one 4/8 razor that I received shave ready, appears to be factory and never used. Very old razor. It's full hollow and a shoulder-less version. I can't figure why it's so sharp. I have to really be careful and the audibles are loud for a small blade. My point it, there is a "sharp" that is not comfortable, but effective nonetheless.

I'll never understand using electrical or other tape. You've just reminded me of one of the reasons. Of course, it's all up to each of us to make the tape or no tape decision for whatever reason or for a "just because" reason.

I suspect we all want the same thing in a sense, an edge which is both very, very sharp and very, very comfortable. One gentleman's perfect edge might be harsh or feel dull to another guy.

I know the manufactured DE and SE blades are not just a matter of sharpness and smoothness because they have coatings applied to the blade which are themselves of significance. I also know I love the Polsilver SI blade and so do many others, and yet there's a thread about how much people (some people that is) hate the Polsilver.

What's the story? YMMV. As usual.

I'm not shaving off the Arkansas hard black either because I'm also using CrOx and then a leather strop, but still I know the Ark changes (and to me improves) the edge off my 12K. I would expect your Thuringian to change (and hopefully improve) the edge off your films, perhaps in a noticeable way. Maybe not. I can't tell from what you said, but I'd assume so or you'd quit using the Thuringian?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'll never understand using electrical or other tape. You've just reminded me of one of the reasons. Of course, it's all up to each of us to make the tape or no tape decision for whatever reason or for a "just because" reason.

I suspect we all want the same thing in a sense, an edge which is both very, very sharp and very, very comfortable. One gentleman's perfect edge might be harsh or feel dull to another guy.

I know the manufactured DE and SE blades are not just a matter of sharpness and smoothness because they have coatings applied to the blade which are themselves of significance. I also know I love the Polsilver SI blade and so do many others, and yet there's a thread about how much people (some people that is) hate the Polsilver.

What's the story? YMMV. As usual.

I'm not shaving off the Arkansas hard black either because I'm also using CrOx and then a leather strop, but still I know the Ark changes (and to me improves) the edge off my 12K. I would expect your Thuringian to change (and hopefully improve) the edge off your films, perhaps in a noticeable way. Maybe not. I can't tell from what you said, but I'd assume so or you'd quit using the Thuringian?

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've read the reason to use tape is because wedges and near wedges have different bevel making needs where a higher angle begets a sharper bevel. I am certainly not doing it as a preference. I've tested the concept and have gotten better shave edges for two near wedges.

Glad you mentioned coatings. Why wouldn't a chromium oxide or diamond edge be similar to Teflon or PTFE coatings?

I'm just using a Thuringian because it more convenient than lapping films at this time.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've read the reason to use tape is because wedges and near wedges have different bevel making needs where a higher angle begets a sharper bevel. I am certainly not doing it as a preference. I've tested the concept and have gotten better shave edges for two near wedges.

Glad you mentioned coatings. Why wouldn't a chromium oxide or diamond edge be similar to Teflon or PTFE coatings?

I'm just using a Thuringian because it more convenient than lapping films at this time.

I believe from what I've read I'd use tape on a wedge, but I don't have a truck.

I don't know that CrOx or diamond actually coat the blade like Teflon but perhaps the effect is much the same. Why not indeed?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim
Yes I nod my head and keep the razor stationary with both hands. Its easier this way!

I believe I have changed my mind definitely. I went and had two shaves with my de, and both have been awful shaves. Now I remember why I quit them to start with, because ingrowns, and its like every pore on my neck hurts after the shave. The grass definitely ain't greener on the other side of straight razors.

Im not saying it ain't green on the straight razor side, because its pretty darn green. I don't know what it is about straights, but they kinder and more comfortable to me. I don't know if its the way is use it?? Kinda like a guillotine when I make the stroke with the blade. I have tried slant razors that torque the blade, but they cause more irritation than a regular De. Im just going to have to suck it up and keep on keeping on shaving with a straight. I will get faster and my technique will get better. I sometimes get i do get impatient, but I will get there and I will learn to hone. If Im in this for the long hall Im definitely not going to send my razor to get it honed by someone every time it gets dull, when I can learn to do it myself. I now think its very true that straights do provide a better shave and its not just all in straight users head! I know YMMV if you enjoy and your skin can tolerate De's , but my mileage tells me and all the brothers of the blade that a straight razor is King!

@Southbound1, judging from your comments about Arkansas stones in other threads, I have you pegged as a tool sharpener. As such I would expect you to absolutely love straight razor shaving and the edge maintenance that comes with it. To anyone who enjoys putting a fine edge on anything, straight razors offer the most intimate relationship one can have with your edges, and you get to have that relationship every morning.

My 3 pass shaves (over 5 years experience) take me a bit over 15 minutes with prep and clean up. I could cut time with a one or two pass shave and be perfectly socially acceptable.

If I don't have time for a straight shave, I don't have time to shave.

Top Bottom