What's new

I'm not sure about straight razors??

I have a similar issue with my jawline and chin. Although I can shave with either a DE or a straight razor, I get my very best shaves when I do two passes with a straight razor and then use a DE for a clean-up pass on the jawline and chin. Since you have both a straight razor and DE, I suggest you try a few shaves using my method and see what you think. It may not be conventional, but it works for me and may well work for you.

Yep, definitely did that for a while. Problem is that I take apart and clean my razor after every shave. The added step of cleaning the de razor in addition to everything else made it seem like more work than it was worth.

Two tools to do one job, when I should have only needed one.

Yep, definitely did that for a while. Problem is that I take apart and clean my razor after every shave. The added step of cleaning the de razor in addition to everything else made it seem like more work than it was worth.

Definitely not for everyone

I cheat....ooohhhh the shame...:a36:

I use a cheap disposable to edge my sideburns and clean up that small area under my chin if needed. I also take apart my DEs after every use. If I use a cheap disposable I can skip that step.

Why? What's the "purpose" of using a SR?

I feel like you missed the point I was trying to make, whether you agree with it or not is another thing.

I meant something along these lines. Decision to buy manual or automatic transmission (or a motorcycle or a car) should be just that, decision based on your preferences. And if you really like both, then you buy one of each. However, switching half way on your daily commute is in my opinion a bit of overkill, where switching every other day makes more sense (to me).

Hope that explains what I meant a bit better. No offense or disrespect was intended to those who do switch, it was just my personal opinion, right or wrong. Either way, as much as I like to debate, it's really not worth getting into it further. :D

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Why? What's the "purpose" of using a SR?

Assuming this isn't directed towards anyone in particular I'm game.
upload_2018-12-14_21-23-23.jpeg

Great question.
  • To shave.
  • To shave closely.
  • To shave comfortably.
  • As an excuse to hone.
  • Because one loves to strop.
  • It's oh so cool and manly.
  • Bragging rights.
  • Impresses strangers when they're told about it.
  • Encourages SR restoration projects.
  • Leads to scale making.
  • Provides the best of all shaves.
  • Is a demanding hobby.
  • Is a daily meditation.
  • Demands focus and attention.
  • Scares the hell out of small children and your spouse.
  • Is Zen.
  • Removes the temptation to buy more safety razors.
  • Might get you a role in the picture shows.
  • Allows acquaintance with plastic surgeons and ER doctors.
  • Tempts fate.
There are probably a few dozen more possible answers, but my reason is clear enough to me.
  • My objective in beginning all this was to get at home the shave a professional barber can deliver - close and long lasting, very smooth, and very comfortable - it occurred to me that perhaps I might want to use the tool a barber might use, the straight razor.
I could not care less what kind of razor or kit anyone uses or why they use it. I want to get a good shave and have goals in that regard, but I've long since adopted this (or it's adopted me) as an interest and a hobby.

upload_2018-12-14_21-22-4.png

There is, of course, one other very important reason. Big Nurse has peculiar rules for the inmates.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I am not sure why you would need to take your DE apart for cleaning after every shave, especially is you are only using it for a single clean-up pass. I normally rinse mine under running water, dry it off on a towel, give it a quick dip in Barbicide and hang it up to dry. I only take my DEs apart when I have to change the blade. I figure that every time you take the razor apart, you have a chance of getting cut, you can damage the edge, and you are causing unnecessary wear on the threads, etc.

I am not sure why you would need to take your DE apart for cleaning after every shave, especially is you are only using it for a single clean-up pass. I normally rinse mine under running water, dry it off on a towel, give it a quick dip in Barbicide and hang it up to dry. I only take my DEs apart when I have to change the blade. I figure that every time you take the razor apart, you have a chance of getting cut, you can damage the edge, and you are causing unnecessary wear on the threads, etc.

Taking the razor apart likely goes back to what I was taught about taking care of your tools. My grandfather taught me that if you buy a good tool and take care of it properly then you have something special that should last you your lifetime. If you buy crap then you have crap. So I've always bought the higher quality tool and have taken care of it to the best of my ability.

I started doing it a while back and in doing so I've found that my razors stay looking like they're brand new. It just takes a couple minutes and to me it's worth it. Now I'm using expensive all stainless steel, brass or Titanium razors so thread wear isn't an issue like it might be with a less expensive zamak razor. As far as risking getting cut it's not a problem as I usually use a towel to hold the head as I loosen it up. The one time I did cut myself taking a de razor apart it was on the side (not sharpened part) of the blade as opposed to the sharp edge. After that I started holding the non sharp sides with a towel as I twist the handle. I do it every day without issue. I set the blade on the towel and gently fold the towel over and pat it down lightly enough to just remove the water. I haven't experienced any blade degradation in doing it this way. I suspect leaving the blade wet in the razor would be more detrimental to the edge but that's just speculation on my part.

I have read that you shouldn't leave barbicide on the metal for more than ten minutes so I wouldn't recommend a dip in that without rinsing it under water afterward. Instead, if you're opposed to taking it apart as I do I'd likely recommend a dip in some alcohol instead of barbicide to displace the water and then just let it air dry. A lot of guys do it this way on a regular basis.

I dont know if I want to throw in the towel on straights or not??

I say, throw in the towel and roll with whatever system does right for you and your lifestyle. Straights are not for everyone; they require investments of time/money that don't fit into everyone's life. For most people, DE razors are easier, cheaper and faster. If your life is hectic and you're worried about having to learn honing, buy hones, etc - just pass on all of it. Do what's right for you.
It's just shaving, be happy. No one should be worried about having to buy hones and spending time learning how to use them or worried if they'll ever finish a shave in under 20 minutes.
Or maybe just use the striaght when time permits and send it out when it needs to be honed.
Whatever works, just do that. We should enjoy shaving, so choose whatever makes you happiest.

I say, throw in the towel and roll with whatever system does right for you and your lifestyle. Straights are not for everyone; they require investments of time/money that don't fit into everyone's life. For most people, DE razors are easier, cheaper and faster. If your life is hectic and you're worried about having to learn honing, buy hones, etc - just pass on all of it. Do what's right for you.
It's just shaving, be happy. No one should be worried about having to buy hones and spending time learning how to use them or worried if they'll ever finish a shave in under 20 minutes.
Or maybe just use the striaght when time permits and send it out when it needs to be honed.
Whatever works, just do that. We should enjoy shaving, so choose whatever makes you happiest.

+1
I started just over a year and a half with straights, but I was forced to learn the whole lot fast I was in the Gold Dollar Mod contest of 2017.
So I had to Mod a GD66 from a chunk of good steel to a work of art, and it had to be shave ready and be able to shave.
I had to buy the Gold Dollars first then I bought cheap wet stones, and learn fast but asking questions along the way was a good call. The guys in the contest was a great in helping me along the way, well we helped each other yes I admit my first shave I was sore very sore.
My first mod pulled the whiskers out not cut but after Slash told me about the burr and keep moving it from side to side while setting the bevel, got me hooked on this new hobby we call straight shaving and a very big and deep rabbit hole lol.

But once you get the hang of it all it all falls into place, yes I can go for a BBS shave but I'm happy with a DFS yes I do 2 pass shaves every day and when you get the BBS shave without chasing it makes the shave fantastic....

Last night I decided to try a De for a change. I used my Gillette Slim with a Derby blade. I started @4 to mow the bulk down then set it @7 mid shave, and 3 to finish off. To be honest the shave wasn't all that great! I even got a few weepers were I had some skin imperfections I always use alum post shave, and it stung pretty bad. I know Derby's aren't known for hyper sharpness. After the shave I still had rough spots.

Straights overall compared to this shave, well the straight wins by leaps and bounds. Once I got my straight razor technique down I didn't experience any post shave burn from alum or aftershave. A straight provided a more glassy bbs that lasted a least 10 hours. My tougher/thicker stubble are my chin and my mustache area, and a straight goes through that like a light saber. With the de lastnight I couldn't get bbs in those areas, and that's were the alum burned the most. I just can say a straight gives me a better shave!! I just need to be patient... My favorite edge so far is a natural edge though. Well its the only natural edge I've shaved with and that's a jnat. I dunno what the name is, but Alfredo honed it for me. That edge is rather peculiar and intriguing to me, because it delivers a laser sharp and a smooth edge at the same time. In the de world its usually an edge that's either hyper sharp or just smooth and sometimes a lost cause in terms of shave worthy, but this natural edge on my straight is light saber sharp that burns through my whiskers and at the same time smooth and kind to my skin.

Last edited:
Last night I decided to try a De for a change. I used my Gillette Slim with a Derby blade. I started @4 to mow the bulk down then set it @7 mid shave, and 3 to finish off. To be honest the shave wasn't all that great! I even got a few weepers were I had some skin imperfections I always use alum post shave, and it stung pretty bad. I know Derby's aren't known for hyper sharpness.

I found with my Gillette Fatboy's they worked very well with the Gillette Silver Blues I would get a sample pack to try different blades and try the straight on the cheeks till you get used to it and use the Gillette on the chin and around the jaw line....

I found with my Gillette Fatboy's they worked very well with the Gillette Silver Blues I would get a sample pack to try different blades and try the straight on the cheeks till you get used to it and use the Gillette on the chin and around the jaw line....
I do have these blades to try or visit: Crystal, Personna labs, Gillette yellows, Gillette Rubies, Gillette naucet, and Voshod.

For me, the beauty of multiple passes means I can be light as a feather with the razor, DE, SE, shavette, or straight. I'dS think trying to get close in one pass to be the problem with skin tears and irritation. I've used Artist Club, Feather, Astra, and several other brands and have never cut myself or had an irritation. Speed, angle, and pressure are the only factors for me that I consider.

"Last night I decided to try a De for a change. I used my Gillette Slim with a Derby blade. I started @4 to mow the bulk down then set it @7 mid shave, and 3 to finish off. To be honest the shave wasn't all that great! I even got a few weepers were I had some skin imperfections I always use alum post shave, and it stung pretty bad. I know Derby's aren't known for hyper sharpness. After the shave I still had rough spots."

I did the the exact same thing a few months ago.Tried my 40 year old Gillette Slim adj. after years of straight shaving.
Hated it and sold the thing the next day.I bought that razor new in 1980.
If you get the technique down nothing beats a straight.

"Last night I decided to try a De for a change. I used my Gillette Slim with a Derby blade. I started @4 to mow the bulk down then set it @7 mid shave, and 3 to finish off. To be honest the shave wasn't all that great! I even got a few weepers were I had some skin imperfections I always use alum post shave, and it stung pretty bad. I know Derby's aren't known for hyper sharpness. After the shave I still had rough spots."

I did the the exact same thing a few months ago.Tried my 40 year old Gillette Slim adj. after years of straight shaving.
Hated it and sold the thing the next day.I bought that razor new in 1980.
If you get the technique down nothing beats a straight.
Yes I agree! If don't think it matters what kind of de razor or blade. A straight is a better way to a comfy close shave. It just takes me a long time to get there. Lol. I used to say the lady friend takes to long to get pampered and ready! Now its me!!I just need to learn to be patient!! Darn it!! Its all muscle memory and technique .This may sound a little crazy, but what has helped me with improving on my technique is by getting a dull razor and practicing different grips and shaving strokes in the mirror.

I have the same problem nowdays I take longer than the wife, but who cares I love shaving now and smelling good....:ladysman::ladysman::ladysman: so that makes me a happy :badger::badger::badger:Member lol...

Top Bottom