What's new

I'm not sure about straight razors??

I think what hurt me is when I started (50- 60 shaves in) I got very familiar with shaving with my dominate hand, then I switched and started using both hands. And that was a challenge! I wish I had started using both hands from the get go.

I've been at it for 14 months, can shave really well, fairly fast, and guess what, I'm still "not sure about straight razors". :D

Last time I had a minor cut, initial reaction was anger (with myself of course) and I wanted to just take all of it and throw it away, and never look at one again .... but then I go back to it again, and again.

Take your time, use it on weekends when you have more time, walk away (weeks at time if needed) and come back to it only if you feel like it. For the past 3 months I've used straights almost exclusively but nobody says you have to, I know I still enjoy my DE shaves every now and then, half the fun is in variety.

I must say I haven't tried a large variety of De blades when I shaved with one, but De razors seemed to tare my face up . I always use alum post shave, and with a de my whole face felt raw, but with a straight very little to no irritations. A straight shave is kinder to my skin.

I've been at it for 14 months, can shave really well, fairly fast, and guess what, I'm still "not sure about straight razors". :D

Last time I had a minor cut, initial reaction was anger (with myself of course) and I wanted to just take all of it and throw it away, and never look at one again .... but then I go back to it again, and again.
Lol. I've been there too buddy!
Take your time, use it on weekends when you have more time, walk away (weeks at time if needed) and come back to it only if you feel like it. For the past 3 months I've used straights almost exclusively but nobody says you have to, I know I still enjoy my DE shaves every now and then, half the fun is in variety.

It will get faster. To give you an idea, it takes me 35 minutes from the time my alarm sounds to when I walk out of the shower. So in 35 minutes, I wake up, shower, get dressed, shave (3 pass always), comb my hair. The alarm rings at 3:50 am and I usually walk into the kitchen to eat breakfast at 4:25. I am coming up on almost two years of using a straight almost exclusively. I also shave every day.

A DE is still faster for me, but only by about 5 minutes. I do use a DE for rough mornings when my concentration isn't the best.

I think what hurt me is when I started (50- 60 shaves in) I got very familiar with shaving with my dominate hand, then I switched and started using both hands. And that was a challenge! I wish I had started using both hands from the get go.

Same here. I started with only my dominant hand, thinking I would slice myself completely open with my other hand. Bit the bullet and started with both hands and now get cleaned and quicker shaves without much thought.

I switched to straights exclusively about two months ago. I found it only takes me about a half hour for my entire morning routine. Slower than using a cartridge or de? Yes. Is it worth getting up an extra 15min in the morning to have a calming somewhat meditative shave? For me, the answer is yes. Just last week everything finally clicked together and have been getting some of the best shaves I’ve ever had and I’m never going back.

After over 100 shaves I was able to shave with a straight razor almost as quickly as I can with a de razor. The problem for me was that I have a couple difficult spots under my right jawline that I can't seem to clear with a straight razor. I've tackled it at all different angles, and cut myself when trying some creative angles, in an attempt to get a perfect shave. So at this point, while I do still enjoy an occasional straight razor shave, I'm back to a de razor.

After over 100 shaves I was able to shave with a straight razor almost as quickly as I can with a de razor. The problem for me was that I have a couple difficult spots under my right jawline that I can't seem to clear with a straight razor. I've tackled it at all different angles, and cut myself when trying some creative angles, in an attempt to get a perfect shave. So at this point, while I do still enjoy an occasional straight razor shave, I'm back to a de razor.
I agree straights are hard to get bbs on the neck area, because a SR blade is so long. Unless you're blessed with hairs that grow in 2 directions, and that would be north and south. Some people even have swirls or cowlicks That make it more difficult. Unfortunately I can only go with the grain and a partial xtg on my neck area without getting ingrowns. I have very thicky/curly hair and I tend to get ingrowns on my neck, but for some reason I can go atg everywhere else.

I agree straights are hard to get bbs on the neck area, because a SR blade is so long. Unless you're blessed with hairs that grow in 2 directions, and that would be north and south. Some people even have swirls or cowlicks That make it more difficult. Unfortunately I can only go with the grain and a partial xtg on my neck area without getting ingrowns. I have very thicky/curly hair and I tend to get ingrowns on my neck, but for some reason I can go atg everywhere else.

I have double cowlicks on my neck and never get truly BBS, but close enough, even with a straight. My problems are the jaw line and submandibular triangle. I’m getting better on the jaws. I pull XTG coming off the cheeks going WTG and go back to WTG down from my jaws.

The hair on my submandibular triangle grows at a 45° angle from the centerline down to the outside of my face. I try to go XTG by going 45° from the outside to the centerline. It’s OK and I think practice will make perfect along with going to the stone seeking that perfect edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have challenging spots that I simply use a Schick injector. Others have reminded us that just because we use a straight does not mean we must use it exclusively.

Some members have facial hair on the chin and moustache area. Who's more of a SR user, one that shaves their whole face with touch ups on the difficult areas with another tool, or a man who only needs to shave the sides of his face?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have challenging spots that I simply use a Schick injector. Others have reminded us that just because we use a straight does not mean we must use it exclusively.

Some members have facial hair on the chin and moustache area. Who's more of a SR user, one that shaves their whole face with touch ups on the difficult areas with another tool, or a man who only needs to shave the sides of his face?

One is no less than the other, just as an occasional user who consistently gets the shave he desires, is no less than the daily user.

Many times you have spoken detrimentally of those, like me, who choose to leave some hair on our faces. You have implied we are lesser shavers, or that our word is valued less than that of one who shaves all his face. Please try to undo the persistent mind block that you have between "does not" and "can not".

Some members here have a full beard, and only clean up the outer edges of their beard. That in no way reflects their ability to shave those areas they choose to leave untouched. I for one can shave my whole face to the same standards, I just happen to think I look better with some left on.

One is no less than the other, just as an occasional user who consistently gets the shave he desires, is no less than the daily user.

Many times you have spoken detrimentally of those, like me, who choose to leave some hair on our faces. You have implied we are lesser shavers, or that our word is valued less than that of one who shaves all his face. Please try to undo the persistent mind block that you have between "does not" and "can not".

Some members here have a full beard, and only clean up the outer edges of their beard. That in no way reflects their ability to shave those areas they choose to leave untouched. I for one can shave my whole face to the same standards, I just happen to think I look better with some left on.

There should be no legitimate argument that a man who chooses to grow hair on their chin or moustache area is less challenged when using any type of razor. If I grew a beard, as I did for 30 years, I would admit I had the advantage over a clean shaven gentleman. Most will tell you the chin is a challenge and the moustache area hair is coarse. I would think you would agree.

You chose to write a how to thread on shaving without admitting your had facial hair. You were critical and free to speak your mind on a host of issue including soaps, brushes, and razors. Are you now wanting to censor me?

A man with facial hair should be spending less time to shave.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
There should be no legitimate argument that a man who chooses to grow hair on their chin or moustache area is less challenged when using any type of razor. If I grew a beard, as I did for 30 years, I would admit I had the advantage over a clean shaven gentleman. Most will tell you the chin is a challenge and the moustache area hair is coarse. I would think you would agree.

You chose to write a how to thread on shaving without admitting your had facial hair. You were critical and free to speak your mind on a host of issue including soaps, brushes, and razors. Are you now wanting to censor me?

A man with facial hair should be spending less time to shave.

Censor, no. Express my disagreement with your views, yes.

As I have explained before, multiple times, I have many years experience shaving the areas I now choose to leave covered. Yet in previous posts, and in the one I'm replying to, you imply that makes me not worthy of offering advice to new shavers. That is wrong. Discrediting individuals of this forum based on their choice of moustache or beard is bad form.

Again, as I have explained before, multiple time, my goatee area is NOT my most challenging area. I am therefore NOT taking the easy route, as I still shave my most troublesome areas.

Spending less time to shave? I shaved my whole face quicker than many of the times I see reported on here. All of it, including the goatee area. No nicks, no weepers, no safety net. I have never even owned a styptic pencil. Yet you feel entitled to label me as incompetent...? Dishonest...? Untrustworthy...? Seriously?

If I was to shave my whole face tomorrow, with the same confidence and capability that I complete my usual 70% shaves, would I suddenly be competent and my word honourable in your eyes?

What about if I grew my beard again? Would I return to being unworthy, or would I still be accepted as someone whose word means as much as it did before I regrew the beard?

I'm genuinely struggling to see why you have such disdain for someone who has ability to do something but chooses not to.

Censor, no. Express my disagreement with your views, yes.

As I have explained before, multiple times, I have many years experience shaving the areas I now choose to leave covered. Yet in previous posts, and in the one I'm replying to, you imply that makes me not worthy of offering advice to new shavers. That is wrong. Discrediting individuals of this forum based on their choice of moustache or beard is bad form.

Again, as I have explained before, multiple time, my goatee area is NOT my most challenging area. I am therefore NOT taking the easy route, as I still shave my most troublesome areas.

Spending less time to shave? I shaved my whole face quicker than many of the times I see reported on here. All of it, including the goatee area. No nicks, no weepers, no safety net. I have never even owned a styptic pencil. Yet you feel entitled to label me as incompetent...? Dishonest...? Untrustworthy...? Seriously?

If I was to shave my whole face tomorrow, with the same confidence and capability that I complete my usual 70% shaves, would I suddenly be competent and my word honourable in your eyes?

What about if I grew my beard again? Would I return to being unworthy, or would I still be accepted as someone whose word means as much as it did before I regrew the beard?

I'm genuinely struggling to see why you have such disdain for someone who has ability to do something but chooses not to.

I looked just to check if I had referenced you in my opinion regarding facial hair and using a SR. I didn’t.

There was no distain implied or stated outright.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hey all,

I don't know if I want to throw in the towel on straights or not?? Im just over a 100 shaves in, and can get a DFS. I do enjoy the experience, but Im just to darn slow. I see videos of guys straight shaving in 15 minutes or less and that's 3 passes. It takes me 30 min! It is a relaxing experience. My life right now is kinda hectic, and I don't know if I will have the time to maintain/sharpen my razors. There is the maintaining the edge and the learning curve of maintaining them.

Im glad I didn't invest in stones yet, because Im not sure if I'm in this for the long hall. I did buy a Kanayama strop and suede strop and 2 new razors. The Kanayama I've not used because I was wanting to develop my stropping skills on a vintage strop. I need some feedback from you seasoned shavers. Do the shaves get faster over a certain amount of shaves?

I'm only about 40 shaves in, but I must get better and faster at SR shaving. I'm willing to give it time, but I also know I can shave with my old Schick Type E-2 - throwing it about with reckless abandon, quickly, and quite well - which establishes a reference point.

Will I ever get there with the SR? I don't know. There's a lot to learn - stropping, shaving, honing, etc. - and I've mastered only stropping (at least I think I have).

Still, I see no reason to abandon the project. At the same time, I see why others might. Nothing about SR shaving seems easy to me. I suppose it is easy enough once it's mastered, but what isn't? Will my SR shaving one day be very fast? Will it be as close and smooth as my safety razor shaves? All are open questions.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have a similar issue with my jawline and chin. Although I can shave with either a DE or a straight razor, I get my very best shaves when I do two passes with a straight razor and then use a DE for a clean-up pass on the jawline and chin. Since you have both a straight razor and DE, I suggest you try a few shaves using my method and see what you think. It may not be conventional, but it works for me and may well work for you.

They should get better and faster .
100 shaves should show some progress in speed and quality of the shave.
My 2 pass shaves take about 5 minutes these days.That includes stropping and lathering up.
So that should fit in any busy skedule.
But you do need a sharp razor.I don't see how you have managed 100 shaves without a stone though.
After every 6 or 7 shaves my razors get a touch up on the 12000.Just a few strokes on each side under the running tap.After that some light stropping.
Your blade is probably dull.Shaving with a dull blade is very uncomfortable and probably hinders you in getting experiences with good and fast shaves.

Top Bottom