What's new

I'm Not In Love With My Superspeed

I'd suggest replacing it with a Super Adjustable (aka Black Beauty ) if shimming doesn't work. You basically get am adjustable Superspeed :)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If I observe the razor closing as I turn the TTO knob, I see that the baseplate moves up as the doors are pulled shut.

If this is happening, then you do not have a Super Speed. The Super Speed base plate is fixed to the handle and there are no internal moving parts to the base plate as there are on a Slim or a Fat Boy.
The Super Speed base plate stays in one position and the TTO doors pull the blade down onto the base plate.

I feel like the aggressiveness and quality of the SS line degraded as the years passed. 40's and early 50's SS's seem to be excellent. Some are mild, for sure, but not so rattley..

I don't like Super Speeds either...way too mild. Unless you use a Feather in them, then they are somewhat acceptable.

The only reason I still have my Blue tip SS is because it's an heirloom.

I think the 40's style SS is the best of the line. It gives the best shave out of all them, IMHO, plus it has a more substantial "feel" to it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't like Super Speeds either...way too mild. Unless you use a Feather in them, then they are somewhat acceptable.

The only reason I still have my Blue tip SS is because it's an heirloom.

For the record, the Blue Tip was designed specifically to be extremely mild.
I find the blue tip to be milder than even a newer model Tech and don't really care for them all that much. Mostly because of the very light weight. They still shave just fine for me, I just don't like "the feel".
The Blue Tip, the Flare Tips, the Red Tip and the 40's style SS are all very different razors.

too much emphasis on birth year razors.. put it in a display box and find a razor that suits you.
Birth year or not, if I own a razor I'd like to be able to use it effectively. I'm not really interested in owning a razor for the purpose of putting it in a display box.

If this is happening, then you do not have a Super Speed. The Super Speed base plate is fixed to the handle and there are no internal moving parts to the base plate as there are on a Slim or a Fat Boy.
The Super Speed base plate stays in one position and the TTO doors pull the blade down onto the base plate.

Perhaps my terminology is a bit off. Whether the base plate moves up, or the door assembly moves down - the two parts move in relation to each other when I twist the knob, causing the blade to curve.

Yes, it's a Superspeed.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Perhaps my terminology is a bit off. Whether the base plate moves up, or the door assembly moves down - the two parts move in relation to each other when I twist the knob, causing the blade to curve.

Yes, it's a Superspeed.

You threw me with the base plate moving up part.

Well, I do have, to many my wife says, razors to choose from but when I fancy a superspeed I'll pick my redtip up. Not that aggressive but really efficient! Try one!

For the record, the Blue Tip was designed specifically to be extremely mild.
I find the blue tip to be milder than even a newer model Tech and don't really care for them all that much. Mostly because of the very light weight. They still shave just fine for me, I just don't like "the feel".
The Blue Tip, the Flare Tips, the Red Tip and the 40's style SS are all very different razors.

Right, I'm aware the Blue Tip is the mildest.

I've tried every type of Super Speed and ALL of them are too mild for me.

I have a black handle Superspeed. I want to like it, since it is a birth quarter razor (T3), but I really don't. I've shaved with it a few times now and with a handful of blades that are usually go-tos for me (7 O'C Black, Astra SP, Personna Lab).

It's just so... mild. If I look at it from the profile view, there's almost no blade exposure and just a very small angle window where the blade would even come in contact with my face. If I shave with the same pressure as my trusty DE89, which gives a beautiful shave, my face feels as though it hasn't been touched. Then I start to ramp up the pressure and we all know where that road leads - hamburger neck.

Anyway, I'll probably keep this because of the date significance, but I don't see it getting shaved with very often, if ever.

I don't have that one, but another, and it is mild as well. Great on the first pass, but more trouble than it's worth (to me) after that. It is what it is.

All on the list, and all in due course. Although, if I'm being honest, I'm a little jittery about the straights.

I say go with a slant. If you already have your technique down with a regular DE, the slant will be a delight.

My biggest regret since I started DE shaving was not trying a slant sooner.

I tried removing the shim and loosening up the TTO knob just a touch. I think this may be an option to get closer in select trouble spots, as it definitely does work.

I don't think I'll try loosening for my entire shave any more though. What I found (at least with my razor) is that when the TTO knob is completely closed it 'sticks' and has some resistance to being turned. Once it's loosened from that position at all, it turns very easily. Over the course of my shave I found that any time my pinky or palm or whatever else came into contact with the knob it would turn it ever-so-slightly which changes the blade angle pretty dramatically. Probably a good idea for precision touch-ups of tough areas, but not for the whole shave.

Top Bottom