What's new

I'm looking to buy some soaps. Suggestions?

So, as the title implies, I'm looking to buy some soaps. I'd like to get second hand soaps, and maybe even creams. I was wondering what you guys thought that I might like.

I ADORE Mama bear's toasted coconut! I've tried Vanilla Cream too, but I always get a thin lather with this batch, so I use it on occasion. I recently purchased Dragon's Blood from her because of all the rage, but honestly it just reminds me of Hottopic and it's just not my scent.

I tried a bay rum sampler from ogallala. I wasn't too fond of any of the samples I got and the Bay rum by itself burned. I still have the samples around somewhere, but I can't remember which is which... so I guess I can't really trade or sell those... I liked some of the smells, it was just too... detergent smelling.

... Oh... And I also had Pirate's Cove Coconut, which is what I learned on so I got some bad lathers, but I know it was my skill. This scent was my absolute favorite...

So as for scents I just like rich deep smells and citrus smells. I was thinking about looking into orange soaps.

The other factors are obvious. The more slick it is the better. The more it moisturizes the better... etc, etc.

Oh and do you guys think that if I posted on the B/S/T if someone would sell me their used soap? Or trade for that dragon's blood. I've only used it twice, and I might give it another go just in case.

Thanks for your input!

Do you think I would like Tabac? AOS, C&E, Speick, Proraso (I really think that I will try their cream.) I was thinking of Colonel Conk, but I only ever see those on Amazon when ordering something. L'Occitane? I'm just wondering, I guess what all these soaps smell like. I see you guys talking about them, but I rarely see someone try to describe how they smell.

Any takers?

Last edited:
I feel certain you could get a trade for the things you do not like.

If you mean ogallala, there are plenty of folks that would take the sampler off your hands. Just go to the B/S/T forum and ask.

You may have an aversion to EO soaps based on the comment of burning. If so stay clear of qed sandalwood :tongue:

I just started using edwin jagger sea buckthorn. It's very moisturizing and smells really natural (not a harsh synthetic smell)- sort of like a faint rose and a green plant. It's hard to describe, but smells nice. There's a review in the "shaving creams" section (the review is for both the cream and soap). If you get it, I'd suggest building your lather completely on the cake of soap, not in a separate bowl. I've had trouble building a lather with it, but once I've got it right, it's great stuff. I haven't had any razor burn since I switched to it.

I feel certain you could get a trade for the things you do not like.

If you mean ogallala, there are plenty of folks that would take the sampler off your hands. Just go to the B/S/T forum and ask.

You may have an aversion to EO soaps based on the comment of burning. If so stay clear of qed sandalwood :tongue:

It was only the pure bay rum sample that burned. There was also bay rum and lime that I tried, and it didn't burn or anything. There were 3 other variants on bay rum none of which burned. They just smelled really.... soapy... and I didn't like them. I've been curious about sandalwood though.

Do you think I would like Tabac? AOS, C&E, Speick, Proraso (I really think that I will try their cream.) I was thinking of Colonel Conk, but I only ever see those on Amazon when ordering something. L'Occitane? I'm just wondering, I guess what all these soaps smell like. I see you guys talking about them, but I rarely see someone try to describe how they smell. Any takers?

TABAC is hard to describe ... but either you love it or you hate it. Many people hate it when they first open the package (I was one of them.) But what you're experiencing there is the 'dry' scent. Keep in mind that when you start using the soap, it will smell differently after it gets broken in. And it will smell differently on your skin, too. Its very subtle, even dormant at times, and then several hours later ... "Whoooooomp! There it is!" Even if you don't like the smell of Tabac, Chicks dig it, and sometimes, that's all that counts.

PRORASO (or the C.O. Bigelow equivalent) is one of the standards around here. It seems like everybody has some in their den, and some people don't need anything else. I went through a PRORASO phase for about 4 months at the beginning, and I thought shaving creams didn't get any better than that. What finally got me off of PRORASO was CREMO CREAM ... which shaves better, but I wish they would do away with that orange scent.

TABAC is hard to describe ... but either you love it or you hate it. Many people hate it when they first open the package (I was one of them.)... ...Even if you don't like the smell of Tabac, Chicks dig it, and sometimes, that's all that counts.
CREMO CREAM... which shaves better, but I wish they would do away with that orange scent.

My Lady doesn't even like it when I shave! she like a little stubble, but I gotta shave because I have a pretty thick beard. Tabac sounds like something you just gotta man up and do. Proraso seems like a staple, and I honestly like orange scented things so I might give cremo cream a try.

I've read good reviews on Pre De Provence Shave Soap. It comes in its own cool container. Heard it smells like laundry detergent which implies a fresh, clean scent. Reasonablly priced. I see WestCoast shaving now carries it. Its going to be the next addition to fuel the SSAD. :crazy:

Cheers!! :a8:

I've read good reviews on Pre De Provence Shave Soap. It comes in its own cool container. Heard it smells like laundry detergent which implies a fresh, clean scent. Reasonablly priced. I see WestCoast shaving now carries it. Its going to be the next addition to fuel the SSAD. :crazy:

Cheers!! :a8:
Just for future reference, I really don't like detergent or soap smells. I know I said fresh, clean scents, but that's the wrong direction.

... I ADORE Mama bear's toasted coconut! I've tried Vanilla Cream too ...

So as for scents I just like clean fresh smells ...
:001_huh::confused: Hmmm. I've never considered toasted coconut or vanilla cream as particularly clean or fresh.

That aside, I'd offer Honeybee Spa Eucalyptus (soap) or Proraso (cream or soap) -- the latter being a mentholated eucalyptus -- as about as clean & fresh as I know.

Van der Hagen is available for $2 at many a Wally's World or Rite Aid -- good lather and, I think, a fresh scent, tho' perhaps not for you if you don't like soap smells.

All of the foregoing lather better than Conk, IMHO.

As regards Tabac, it's love it or hate it. Most seem to love it, or at least tolerate it. I think it smells like Grandma's perfume drawer after a nasty night on the town (that's not a good thing).

As to AOS, I can't say -- too rich for my blood. C&E smelled nice in the store, but not my cuppa.

:001_huh::confused: Hmmm. I've never considered toasted coconut or vanilla cream as particularly clean or fresh.

I went and changed that to maybe something a little closer. That's just what I relate those smells to, I guess it's just personal opinion though.

Thanks for your help so far guys, I really appreciate it!

As an update I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered some cremo cream (thanks for that suggestion) and a puck of pirate's cove tangerine. I figure if nothing else I can add a review to the boards! I was also thinking about some orange-y smelling superlather. Sounds good to me!

Anyone else have some suggestions for soaps that don't smell like soap, but have a darker smell. Not musky, but not fruity either. If that makes sense!

Oh and could I get a site for QED?

I tried to google it and came up empty handed (or brushed for that matter :wink:)

Last edited:
Try looking here and here. This gives you a ton of bang for your buck. For the money you could try a dozen soaps for the price of two or three of the big name brands.

Try looking here and here. This gives you a ton of bang for your buck. For the money you could try a dozen soaps for the price of two or three of the big name brands.

Wow, great call! I'm already an avid fan of Mama bear, but susie's bubbles is new to me. 6 soaps for $15... Nice. AND you get to choose them!

TYVM

Oh and could I get a site for QED?

I tried to google it and came up empty handed (or brushed for that matter :wink:)

No problem: qedusa.com. Then, on the left side of the page, click on "other fabulous toiletry products offered by QED". The soaps in question are about 2/3 of the way down that page. (Horrible site, but excellent soap!)

No problem: qedusa.com. Then, on the left side of the page, click on "other fabulous toiletry products offered by QED". The soaps in question are about 2/3 of the way down that page. (Horrible site, but excellent soap!)

I even came across that site! Ugh! But thanks for the walkthrough :001_rolle Sometimes I'm an airhead.

Aww... they're out of the wild orange. Oh well.

I even came across that site! Ugh! But thanks for the walkthrough :001_rolle Sometimes I'm an airhead.

Aww... they're out of the wild orange. Oh well.

Darn. He does have it in shave stick form. I do hope Charles is well -- I've been waiting for sandalwood tubs to be restocked for a few months now. (last response I received was "after the first of the year"). Still, worth waiting for!

I suggest to try a soft soap, such as Crema Cella Extra Extra Purissima or Valobra. Great leather, excellent protection, durable moisturizing effect and extradelicate almond scent.

Top Bottom