What's new

I'm Looking for Something

I'm just getting started in wet shaving, but know from past experience as a teen that alcohol-based aftershaves are a no go. Too painful.

I have a little bit left of a 20 year old bottle of Art of Shave alcohol-free aftershave balm. It is delightful, hydrating and just the thing immediately after a shave.

It's the "after the immediately after" part that I don't like. After 30 minutes, my skin feels oily, greasy, and wonderful to the touch. LOL. Big fan of number 3, one and two, not so much.

Is there an aftershave that is NOT alcohol-based, but somewhat moisturizing and balmy without feeling like my face is heavy with axle grease? Oh, and unscented, please.

The best I can describe it, is I would LOVE for my skin to have the touch of just-applied alum, i.e. smooth as a dry piece of paper, but hydrated.

Am I asking for the impossible?

To date, I've been going with a cold water rinse after alum and calling it a day. That feels great, and I guess is acceptable, but can I have the best of both worlds?

Thanks, all!

Last edited:
Baume.be
Also, I avoid anything with shea butter. Which really narrows the field.

Sorry, too eager to help. Go with the above.

Correct, baume balm 🤪
Never mind, that’s the one with shea butter. I have others…
St James London aftershave gell!
Maggards has a sampler with the creams and the gell.

taylor of old bond street jermyn kai april 6 2022.jpg

On days like today where I take off a beard with a straight, I reach for my old lady’s unscented hydrating face balm. Trust me when I say they have female beauty products dialed in much better than mens care products.

On days like today where I take off a beard with a straight, I reach for my old lady’s unscented hydrating face balm. Trust me when I say they have female beauty products dialed in much better than mens care products.
I have often thought that as well.

Ok, I know you said NO ALCOHOL…but I think the Speick aftershave splash might fit the bill. It’s got lots of skin food ingredients and although I no longer use aftershave, it was the only one I used because it:

1. Felt very refreshing
2. Did not burn
3. Made my face feel and smell amazing
4. Didn’t leave my face greasy at all

I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t need an aftershave and who knows, you might land there as well, only time will tell. You can read more about it here.

You might take a look at the Mammoth Z (unscented) aftershave balm. Not nearly as thick as other balms, if you're looking to avoid any heavy feel.

@brucered, can you tell me about aftershave wax? What is it designed to do? Never heard of it.
It's just an everyday balm and does the same as any other balm...but better.

The consistency is a bit thicker, you don't use much and apply by dabbing your finger in it. You only use a small amount.

I love it.

I normally follow up a shave with CeraVe moisturizing cream while I conduct post-shave stropping. And then I top that off with whatever aftershave that I choose. My skin is very tolerant to alcohol based splashes. So, it sounds like a nice balm is what you may be looking for. I find the balms from Proraso to be very nice. Especially the white and blue labels.

I also LOVE Myrsol Emulsion, it is a balm and it is my absolute favorite go to.

Top Bottom