What's new

I'm liking my bigger badger brushes

I've accumulated about a dozen badger brushes. Mostly finest badger. They are mostly about 24mm x 50mm or so in size.

Recently I've purchesed a 28mm and 30mm badger brushes. At first I was concerned that they looked so much bigger than my other brushes, but I'm finding that I like that big hunk of badger on my face. I'm not a big man at all. I'm fairly small in size. But these big brushes do not feel too big.

I've accumulated about a dozen badger brushes. Mostly finest badger. They are mostly about 24mm x 50mm or so in size.

Recently I've purchesed a 28mm and 30mm badger brushes. At first I was concerned that they looked so much bigger than my other brushes, but I'm finding that I like that big hunk of badger on my face. I'm not a big man at all. I'm fairly small in size. But these big brushes do not feel too big.

Pictures please. Any issues with lather accuracy on the top lip for example?

Yeah, I've always favored 23-24mm brushes, but started acquiring more and more 26mm brushes, and I'm finding I don't mind having that big poof of badger to lather up with. Just means I can't really fit them in a bowl, so I just face lather.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I bought the largest silvertip Vulfix and liked it about a week and went back to my much softer more manageable Omega 49 boar. Guess I’ll be selling the Vulfix.

I've always preferred 22mm - 24mm badger brushes. But recently I've been enjoying 26mm, & just this week I've tried 28mm. Quite surprised at how nice they are!

I'm sort of the opposite...I'm a big guy, and you'd think I'd like big brushes, but most things over 22mm are just too big for me. Even most 24mm feel like I'm losing control of them. I do make exceptions...I love my Chubby 2 and my Harvard H4, and my SOC boar is one of my top brushes of all time. But for the most part, I like having a laser-focused, easy-to-control knot, and larger brushes just seem like I start losing that control I like.

Though I do admit sometimes I'm curious what a CH3 or a BK12 would be like, just to lather with that giant wall of badger. I don't think I'd spend the money just to satisfy the curiosity, since I don't think I'd use them much...but then again, I did get my girlfriend a massive 30mm synthetic. Hmm...maybe trying a giant brush could be a possibility after all.

I don't blame you. Bigger badgers are really nice, especially if you do a full face shave. I'm liking 24 to 28 mm badgers. Extremely sweet.

Excellent! It's always lovely to find things that make you happy. I've never tried any brush more than 24mm, but one day I might because of posts like yours!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Absolutely, if it's good quality, non-scritchy badger! Took me a while (three brushes) to learn that.

AA

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm kind of a contrarian - par for the course. I think the loft makes the most difference and how much you splay the brush. A 30mm brush with a 55 mm loft would be much different than a 30 with a 65mm loft.

Traditionally natural hair brushes were much smaller. 20mm was a normal size in badger and maybe a bit bigger in boar. It's only since the cheap synthetics arrived that the bigger is better philosophy has taken hold. Badger brush makers have of course realized there is GOOD money to be made in selling giant brushes so they make them.

I can't help but think the master brush maker creating a 30mm badger knot is doing a virtual face palm and shaking his head.

Excellent! It's always lovely to find things that make you happy. I've never tried any brush more than 24mm, but one day I might because of posts like yours!

I do like my smaller brushes, but sometimes it's fun to just go ahead and arm yourself with a wall o' badger.

In my experience density and loft also play a big role though. A dense 24mm or 26mm brush with a high loft that splays a lot can feel pretty big, arguably bigger than a 30mm with a short loft.

My first silvertip acquired recently is a 24mm knot with a 64mm loft. Although it's tricky getting under the nose and bottom lip, it was a good price. On a related note, I didn't expect it to "bloom" out as much upon first use. All my other brushes are smaller, of different bristle type, and didn't spread out this much

Attachments

• 20200222_113309.jpg
    20200222_113309.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20200220_182146.jpg
    20200220_182146.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
I've slowly creeped up in knowt size over the years. At first, I was using 22mm and 24mm knots, but after my first Declaration purchase, my prefer for super dense, soft, 26-28mm badger brushes has taken priority. Face feel, the amount and quantity of lather is all a big improvement.

I love the SV brush and chubby 3. Both similar size but CH3 I a bit denser. Both are soft and I love the face lather they give. I find it strange that some find large brushes too big and difficult to hold. I'm an average face and hands, and absolutely not a problem.

I love larger brushes. 24mm is my smallest (and the smallest I would consider). I have a Chubby 2 that I love and I ordered my Wolf Whiskers with a 28mm knot. I also have a Razorock Monster that is 28mm.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think I could go with larger diameter knots as long as the loft was kept at 55mm at the very most, better yet 50. To pick a brand, for me Simpsons seems to understand how to make shaving brushes rather than painting brushes.

Top Bottom