What's new

I'm just a beginner

strop

Now half as wise
I have started to get again interested in photography the last couple of years. My burgeoning interest died very quickly with the simultaneous demands of a new career and new family, back in the early 1980's. About 10 or so years ago I thought I should get something better than a little P&S, and got a Pentax. Problem was, I never took it off AUTO, so what I ended up with was a big P&S that I never wanted to carry around. I finally took some evening classes a couple of years ago, and again started to get interested. A good friend of mine is a great photographer, and has been very helpful in this journey, especially when it came to spending my money!

I've had Lightroom for a year or so, but have had only limited time to really try to play with it to see what it can do, and to try to get halfway comfortable with the gazillion different sliders, terms, etc. and especially trying to figure out my own workflow and catalog/storage system. Everyone I look at on line does it differently, which encouraged me that there was no real right or wrong way to do it. Just do it!

These are some shots I took in Albequerque NM last year when we visited my son. Really my first attempt at any post processing. The first two are in Old Town, and the third is out the Tram window on the way up to Sandia Peak. $Courtyard (1 of 2).jpg$Peppers (1 of 1).jpg$Sandia Peak (1 of 1).jpg

There is some glare (or is there a better term?) in the lower left of the last picture since this was taken out of the window with the setting sun to my left. I could not figure out how to eliminate this.

Suggestions appreciated.

Yes, that is kinda tricky. I would try the spot removal and see if you can get it to match up with the trees and rocks. I have had good luck with LR finding a match. You will need to play around with it and see what works.

strop

Now half as wise
Yes, that is kinda tricky. I would try the spot removal and see if you can get it to match up with the trees and rocks. I have had good luck with LR fiI'lng a match. You will need to play around with it and see what works.

I'm going to need practice there! I did manage to remove an apparently random nail stuck in the wall in the first picture.

your composition looks good to me, but I am seeing a lot of warmth in the colors. what is your white balance set to?

The first one I purposely warmed a bit. The last two were at daylight. This was a hot sunny day. I was trying not to get too much contrast and make them look like hdr. I'll try some more tonight.

strop

Now half as wise
I've been working with LR more today. Turns out my eye seems to gravitate much more toward the warm pictures, so that is something I may have to watch out for.

I have to confess, White Balance is the one thing that I have the hardest time remembering to set during a shoot. At some point in time I have been led to believe that it didn't really matter if I shot RAW, because I could choose what white balance I like best. Maybe that is not such a good thing? Even for shots made in Daylight, in LR I often prefer the Cloudy or Shade settings.

I often shoot just a little under exposed, maybe -.3 to -1. When adjusting exposure in LR, do you know how this correlates to the numbers on the slider, i.e. does +1 on the slider compensate for a -1 exposure setting on the camera?

You'll need to elaborate a bit. I do know what a white card is, but not sure how to use it as you suggest.
You take a picture of it with the same light of a "difficult" scene, and use that to set the white balance in your RAW converter.

Top Bottom