What's new

I'm in! Going straight - razor

On the plus side of having to use my left hand only for most things, I am gaining some improved dexterity.

Gave left hand only shaving a shot with my straight razor today and not great but not too shabby, still have both ears and no major blood loss. I'm calling it a win! :straight:

On the plus side of having to use my left hand only for most things, I am gaining some improved dexterity.

Gave left hand only shaving a shot with my straight razor today and not great but not too shabby, still have both ears and no major blood loss. I'm calling it a win! :straight:

It’s a total win!!!! You will definitely be glad that you taught your left hand early, and SR shaving is a very different experience early even with your dominant hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will only get better and better

I recently started SR shaving and am still on the learning curve. I am right handed and it took me a while to get used to using my left hand on my left side of the face. Ironically, because it was not natural on my left side, I was more careful. This translated into the major "oops" happening on my right side using my more natural right hand.

A couple of thoughts: get a less expensive strop than the Tony Miller, or his practice strop (that I have not tried). My first SR strop has many a nick in it. After I was more comfortable with stropping, I purchased the Tony Miller one - Love it! But I would have been very frustrated with myself if I had nicked it up like I did my first strop....

Anyway, it has been a fun learning experience for me. And Good Luck!

Congrats & welcome aboard!

I've also started with a top-tier 6/8 razor (Koraat), as my very first real straight (used a Parker shavette b4 that).

TI is a great choice IMO - enjoy! You might want to get a Naniwa 3K/10K combo wet stone with a matching lapping plate. I'd forgo "the method", too much hassle IMHO.
Don’t knock it before you try it. A single pasted balsa strop to maintain an edge indefinitely is not much hassle. It’s clean, it’s dry, it’s cheap and it’s highly effective.

Top Bottom