What's new

Im going to Law School.

As for the OP...enjoy it, take it seriously and not seriously at the same time. Law school can overwhelm you and it shouldn't, profs and fellow students can be hyper-competative, cliquish, elitist douches. Your goal in law school is to learn a new way of thinking, not a new way of being, stay true to yourself, learn what you are taught and give back to the profs what they want...just dont give in to them, and you will succeed.

That is very good advice.

Not letting your professors and your peers freak you out is a large part of the battle in your first year. Realize that many of your professors have a vested interest in claiming that law school is the most rigorous intellectual endeaver imaginable because they got where they are by doing very well in law school. Always remember this: you didn't into law school because you're a dummy. You wouldn't be there if you couldn't handle what they are going to throw at you.

Congratulations and good luck.

Congratulations! The best advice I received before first-year classes began (this was so long ago that I was sharpening my quill pens at the time) was from the dean. He told us to avoid talking to friends and family about what we were doing. While our classes might be interesting to us, they would be extremely boring to everyone else. I have tried to follow that that advice through the subsequent decades, and that is why I still have non-lawyer friends.:cool:

Agreed. I rarely socialize with other lawyers. Although, these days, for some reason, as soon as people hear you are an attorney, they want to pick your brain or hear war stories.

FWIW, my older son, who just finished his junior year at Binghamton University (Harpur College) is sitting for the LSAT next week (June 8). Of course, I made him sign an "against advice of counsel" letter first!

I suggest reading One L (Turow) and watching the movie Paper Chase. Although your experience will no doubt be different from what they portray, you are in exactly the right frame of mind to enjoy them right now.

Go work hard and make your own luck!

Yes. In the wise words of Ford Prefect, no matter what you do:

"Don't Panic."

...I woke up Tuesday morning at 9:15 for the beginning of Summer classes. Unfortunately, my brain was hardwired into exam-mode from the month-long study sessions and I had unconsciously convinced myself that not only did I have a final that morning in a class I had never attended and about a subject-matter I had never studied, but that I was also late (exams start at 9am).

Needless to say, I think my blood pressure went up to about 1,000/2,000 for a few minutes while I stumbled across my room throwing on clothes before realizing that I hadn't just committed academic suicide.:a52:

The stress will get to you if you let it...

...I woke up Tuesday morning at 9:15 for the beginning of Summer classes. Unfortunately, my brain was hardwired into exam-mode from the month-long study sessions and I had unconsciously convinced myself that not only did I have a final that morning in a class I had never attended and about a subject-matter I had never studied, but that I was also late (exams start at 9am).

Needless to say, I think my blood pressure went up to about 1,000/2,000 for a few minutes while I stumbled across my room throwing on clothes before realizing that I hadn't just committed academic suicide.:a52:

The stress will get to you if you let it...

I've had that exact same stress dream 1,000 times. Funny, it's always law school, even though I graduated in 1984!!

I've had that exact same stress dream 1,000 times. Funny, it's always law school, even though I graduated in 1984!!

For me it was always an exam in a foregin language class I had never attended. I guess I subconsciously I picked an exam I wouldn't be able to BS my way through.

That's disheartening...I was hoping that at least after being in practice for a while that the dream would change into forgetting a court date or not filing a document on time...

Or are those just bonus dreams?:rolleyes:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
"Youuuu come herrrrrre with skulllllls full of mushhhhh ... "

:001_tt2:

Along the same lines I was told: "Those who get the A's go on to be professors, those who get the B's go on to be judges, and those who get the C's go on to be lawyers."

Those who get A's make good lawschool professors. (They excell at lawschool, not the real world)
Those who get B's make good lawyers. (they have a good grasp of the law, but aren't all bookish like the wannabe profs.)
Those who get C's make good judges. (They can grasp a legal concept if explained clearly enough, but are argumentative/questioning enough not to follow the Prof's party line to get a good grade.)

... Those who get D's end up as Federal Court Judges. (If you've ever tried to make sense out of a Federal Court Judge's decision, you will understand ... )

Congratulations. Success goes not to the brilliant, but to the hardworking. Treat this like an intellectual marathon, and keep a decent pace right from the get-go. Good luck!

Those who get A's make good lawschool professors. (They excell at lawschool, not the real world)
Those who get B's make good lawyers. (they have a good grasp of the law, but aren't all bookish like the wannabe profs.)
Those who get C's make good judges. (They can grasp a legal concept if explained clearly enough, but are argumentative/questioning enough not to follow the Prof's party line to get a good grade.)

... Those who get D's end up as Federal Court Judges. (If you've ever tried to make sense out of a Federal Court Judge's decision, you will understand ... )...

Heh, I like that too. I guess either way you cut it don't worry when you don't get a 4.0 your first semester!

Always remember this: you didn't into law school because you're a dummy. You wouldn't be there if you couldn't handle what they are going to throw at you.

Looking back at this I realize that the bolded portion was not a model of clarity. I trust that in context it was clear I meant it as a compliment.

Looking back at this I realize that the bolded portion was not a model of clarity. I trust that in context it was clear I meant it as a compliment.

I agree with you...this is why I am confounded on a daily basis by the profound stupidity of so many of my fellow members of the bar.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
So things finally worked out for me. I got a letter from the University of Maine Law School. I picked it for a safe school, but realized that its the best bang for my buck. I move to Portland, Maine in August. Im so excited and nervous. Wanted to share it with you guys.

CONGRATULATIONS!

I'm (hopefully) starting law school at Humphreys in November. Maybe we can sort out a B&B online study group! We can all complain about how UCC 2-207 makes no friggin' sense.

Top Bottom