What's new

I'm getting desperate with the Blackland Blackbird

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm glad I saw this thread. If the Blackbird needs a shallow angle then I might not like it. I much prefer a steeper angle; shallow feels very unnatural and "weird" to me. The Dart works great at a steep angle.
I use Feather and Perma-Sharp blades with a steep angle. Ti, Brass and Stainless SB 'Birds. I go shallower with the Brass and Stainless OC plates. :)

The Ti Blackbird is my favorite DE razor.

I'm glad I saw this thread. If the Blackbird needs a shallow angle then I might not like it. I much prefer a steeper angle; shallow feels very unnatural and "weird" to me. The Dart works great at a steep angle.

I feel the same way with most of my razors that require shallow angle. While with the Blackbird it's not that bad and after a while you get the hang of it and it gets better and better and it's an amazing razor that provides me with some of the best shaves I've ever had, I would have loved the razor 1000x more if the optimal angle was steep. I really don't understand how people can love shallow angle razors, but I guess they feel the same about those who love steep angle razors. Making a more steep angle Blackbird might be a good idea.

Then it would be just like every other razor. The Blackbird is the Blackbird. In a world of hundreds of good DE razors, being different is a feature, not a bug.

How does the Dart compare to the Blackbird? I've heard that the Dart requires a steeper angle, which might be what I'm looking for.

Honest question, is it really that hard to lift the handle an extra few degrees? We’re talking about going from 35deg to ~20. The difference small. Noticeable and meaningful, but small.
Perhaps not...but I have a few other mild razors that seem to need a shallower angle to cut effectively, so saying the Blackbird is different (in this specific aspect of needing a shallower angle) is a little puzzling to me...

Honest question, is it really that hard to lift the handle an extra few degrees? We’re talking about going from 35deg to ~20. The difference small. Noticeable and meaningful, but small.
No, it wouldn't. But in looking for a new razor I'm looking for something I'm comfortable to start with, and being a steep shaving, safety bar-riding kind of shaver, when I hear a razor is shallow I think, "that's not for me." But I hear what you're saying in that the Blackbird is not that shallow. Point well taken.

Well looks like I've messed up pretty hard with the technique. As I said, I don't want to give up on it :)

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Shane!

I also use a shallow angle with the BB and find it super smooth!
I don't get a ton of blade feel from it.

Best part is the combo of efficiency whilst caring for my inflammation prone skin.
It's really just the most amazing razor in every way possible!

Edit:
I should mention the BB is not a "ride the cap" razor, like karve is tatara.

It's just that it needs a few degrees above riding the bar.

go to tryablade or a similar site and give these Lord Blue Sword blades a shot in your Blackbird

1663521698101.png

I've never used a blade that worked better than that in my Blackbird; keeps me smoother longer and little to no skin irritation or nicks

After reading Shane’s comments in this thread, I used a more shallow angle today with the Ti BB and gotta admit, it was a super close and very comfortable shave! I didn’t mind the drag/suction feeling while riding the bar, but using an angle closer to riding the cap did make the glide much easier.

@Blackland Razors Shane, you make so many different and pretty razors…..what’s your favorite daily driver?

I usually wind up with a prototype of whatever we're working on. Besides testers, I go through phases like anyone else. I was in a months-long Era phase and now I'm using the Vector for the last few weeks. I don't rotate on a daily basis and prefer to stick with one razor for several weeks before moving to another one.

Thank you Shane for explaining the shave angle on the Blackbird. I have wondered for a long time how people loved the smoothness of the BB using a steep angle. It isn’t the blade I feel going steep it’s the sharp leading edge of the plate on both the SB and the OC but especially the OC.

When I look at the angle that the cap and plate form for a cutting edge, it appears to be about 45 degrees. By going steep that sharp leading edge digs into my skin.

Thank you Shane for explaining the shave angle on the Blackbird. I have wondered for a long time how people loved the smoothness of the BB using a steep angle. It isn’t the blade I feel going steep it’s the sharp leading edge of the plate on both the SB and the OC but especially the OC.

When I look at the angle that the cap and plate form for a cutting edge, it appears to be about 45 degrees. By going steep that sharp leading edge digs into my skin.

Glad that helps! Be sure to watch this video as well.

Shaved with the Ti Blackbird last night using a shallower angle and it solved any remaining problems I had. The angle I had been using was too steep. Got an excellent shave and am going to keep using this angle (and this razor!). Still in my rotation of my top 3 razors, but may be moving up!

Top Bottom