What's new

I'm getting desperate with the Blackland Blackbird

"Nailing it [optimal shave angle] on the first shave is the exception": Hmm....this is precisely my experience with the Winning, Dart, and R41. The shave angle for these was absolutely intuitive for me right on the very first shave: Excellent performance and zero learning curve or irritation.

This experience has set my expectations for a razor's potential performance, as I like the shaves I'm getting now with the technique that feels most natural to me. Maybe I'm missing out on razors that need a shallower angle, but my shaves are so good that I'm fine with that right now. Life's too short for sub-par shaves 🙂
I certainly have had experiences with razors that I "nail it" upon first use:
Blackbird SB
Lupo .95
WR2 1.15 SB
Blutt BR-1
Rocca
Progress

Others that I had to "learn" specific technique to produce a comfortable, close shave:
FOCS
Blackbird OC
Stando Chors

and Others that I never could get to "click"
Dart
Karve OC
Timeless .95 OC

I do believe that one's ability to get a great shave from a brand-new razor is somewhat tied to how much experience you have shaving with DE's, and also, perhaps, how often you *change* razors... What I mean by that is: I very often select a different razor (from a rotation of 6) each time I shave. Not always, but frequently. I hardly ever use the same razor for weeks straight, unless it is a new razor and I'm trying to evaluate/figure out.

Because I change (rotate?) razors so often, I think I've learned/conditioned myself to really stay attuned to how the razor *wants* to work, and adjust to that based upon initial feedback from the first few strokes. Pressure and angle mostly are the variables to quickly dial-in. I never try to impose a specific shaving angle onto a razor, for example. It's one reason why I question when other Members talk about "shaving steep" with a Blackbird, for example. The beveled head-design of that razor, in particular, IS the guide for proper angle, as the Maker intended it. Why fight that?

For sure, it's a great experience when a razor works well on the very first try! I seem to prefer a relatively steep angle; riding the cap feels odd and unnatural to me. This is why I'm interested in others' experiences regarding shave angles for different razors. I'm glad there's so much variety.

The Blackbird is my favorite razor when it comes to design. It's a real marvel, and a stunning razor! I saw almost every single video while I was waiting to receive it, and I knew that it has a good amount of blade feel, and a mid blade gap. But one thing was obvious, this beauty it's really efficient and can provide close shaves.
I had in mind Shane tips from the very beginning: Steeper angle and some consecutive shaves with it.

Well, after one month, and almost 15 shaves I'm considering that the Blackbird isn't for me...Sadly.

I've tough hairs, but quite sensitive skin, and I never had a single shave without irritation on my neck. Even today, with a Astra SP, I got like 5 blood spots, with 48h of growth. I've tried my favorite blades: Astra SP, Personna Viking's Sword, Treet Platinum and Gillette Platinum. None of these blades were good on the Blackbird.
I use really slight touch while shaving, and I always paired it with really top notch artisan soaps, like B&M, DG, Lothur, PAA, A&E, Noble Otter, etc. None of these soaps could avoid the strange and awkward "drag" that this razor has to it. I even thought to polish it, but I was told that wouldn't solve the dragging issue.

I'm writing this thread because I don't want to give on the razor, but I must admit that I'm wondering about to sell it sooner or later.

Thanks!
I had a blackbird several years back. i experienced the same so I sold it. i Just purchased a blackbird lite. Wow, game changer! This is the winning ticket. Buy the blackbird lite plate, sell the original. You will be happy...

I was having the same issues with the Blackbird in stainless steel. Adjusting the angle and trying different blades and shimming really helped, but still it I wasn't 100% convinced with the razor. However, I decided I tried the Blackbird Ti, and it's a totally different animal and it quickly became my favorite razor ever. With the first stroke of with the Ti I immediately realized there was something special about it. It's much smoother and it's equally efficient as the steel version.

I've tried probably 30+ razors and the Blackbird Ti is the best razor I've ever come across, by far...

It's OK.
To experience it, feel it and say it.

My experiences with the BB place it as an average razor where comfort
is lacking. No, Im not using it wrongly or getting the angle wrong.

Ive never had a situation where I shave wrongly with a razor for a few times and then
miraculously, with advice from a forum, start using it right—to my delight.

The hand that holds the razor is in a constant state of adjustment when you shave.
Unbeknownst to the user, these adjustments are often subtle and not overt. If you did not find that
holy grail angle in your first shave, the problem is not the angle.
Respectfully, this is a bad take. We hear from customers every day who don't find the optimal angle initially and have a bad experience, but after a few shaves dial it in perfectly and absolutely love the razor. The first five or so shaves are always the worst and they should be thought of as a trial period to learn and understand the technique a new razor requires. Nailing it on the first shave is the exception.
I've been in the group who was a bit "fearful" of the Blackbird, but reading this thread (not only Shane's comments), along with comments @thombrogan made to me in another thread, has made me reconsider.

I get the fact that we all have our preferences.

I'm fairly new to this blood sport of DE shaving, and in my short time, I've learned a few key principles.

Perhaps most important is to observe and adapt. The best musicians listen to their band mates. I fail to understand why someone would purchase a tool and expect it to adapt to them. I also realize the opposite can be true, that some razors have a wider "use zone", and this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Comments I read about the Blackbird remind me of the Telecaster guitar. They're not for everyone, and boy do they expose flaws in your technique. When you get it right however, they reward you in a way no other guitar can - not so much because of their tone (which may not appeal to everyone), but rather because they're like a coach watching over you and making you better.

Taking the metaphor a bit further, I've found some excellent but forgiving razors, which you may never explore to find the optimal technique with. Forgiving razors can be very good, even when your technique isn't perfectly dialed in for them, but they're so accommodating that you aren't encouraged to find out how good they can be.

Obviously, there's nothing wrong with a forgiving razor with a broad sweet spot, but at the same time, I'd encourage individuals to not stop short of the finish line.

Another piece of advice Shane tries to emphasize is to keep things constant. I read all too many posts of individuals who are frequent switchers. I'm willing to bet that for every 10 individuals who claim that they can adjust to a razor change in one or two strokes, that only 2 can actually do so. @corlay seems to fall in that 20% ;-)

Use the same razor for an extended period of time and get to know it.

While I might be somewhat quicker to try a different blade than Shane advises, I wouldn't change with a buckshot approach either, but rather try 2 or 3 different ones to find a range that works for your initial exploration (then stay with it for a while).

The common advice for the Blackbird seems to be to not go with the sharpest blade, but rather with something like a Personna Comfort Coated, Platinum Chrome etc.

At the end of the day, no tool is for everyone.

... Thom

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Comments I read about the Blackbird remind me of the Telecaster guitar.

I’m glad you mentioned that. I’ve called my Blackbird a parts-caster because it’s made of a spare handle, cap, and plate from another d00d’s collection.

they expose flaws in your technique.

Maybe a tele does. Maybe a tele with a vintage 7.5” radius neck really does, but the Blackbird lets me shave beyond my skill level. Kind of like a 1980s Charvel Jackson strat-shaped guitar with jumbo frets.

Now I feel kind of st00pid for using other DE razors and wish I had $260 spare bucks in 1988, but I’d use a Time Machine to get loved ones to the oncologist on time versus buy a sweet guitar.

Respectfully, this is a bad take. We hear from customers every day who don't find the optimal angle initially and have a bad experience, but after a few shaves dial it in perfectly and absolutely love the razor. The first five or so shaves are always the worst and they should be thought of as a trial period to learn and understand the technique a new razor requires. Nailing it on the first shave is the exception.
It’s really odd…I got the SS Blackbird and I got on with it immediately. The first shave and all subsequent ones were phenomenal. I got the TI version and my first few shaves were underwhelming for lack of a better word. I then made sure I used a very shallow angle and it now surpasses everything I own, including the SS version.
I honestly would sell everything else in my den(except for the SS version) Timeless, Wolfman everything but I need to find the time.

Top Bottom