What's new

I'm done with Hanes undershirts

I remember when Hanes undershirts were dependable. They kept their shape and the neck didn't stretch out.

Now, they are horrible right out of the package. The bodies are a lot shorter and the necks are huge. The hem around the neckline is ugly, too. After a wash or two, they shrink. But not a shrinking that you might expect. Oh, no. That would be too easy. The bodies & arms get even shorter, while the neck opening gets bigger.

Guys, I need a new undershirt. I prefer white cotton crew-neck. I don't like them super-thick or tight. I wear a large under my buttondowns, despite the fact that my normal size (for "nice" t-shirts) is XL. I don't like XL undershirts because they bunch up and the neck doesn't look good under a buttondown.

What are your favorite brands? I've tried Towncraft, and those get too short after too few washes. Stafford undershirts are too thick. I have some colored Jerzees that I like, but those are a bit pricey to buy in bulk, so to speak. But I'm willing to bend.

I remember when Hanes undershirts were dependable. They kept their shape and the neck didn't stretch out.

Now, they are horrible right out of the package. The bodies are a lot shorter and the necks are huge. The hem around the neckline is ugly, too. After a wash or two, they shrink. But not a shrinking that you might expect. Oh, no. That would be too easy. The bodies & arms get even shorter, while the neck opening gets bigger.

Guys, I need a new undershirt. I prefer white cotton crew-neck. I don't like them super-thick or tight. I wear a large under my buttondowns, despite the fact that my normal size (for "nice" t-shirts) is XL. I don't like XL undershirts because they bunch up and the neck doesn't look good under a buttondown.

What are your favorite brands? I've tried Towncraft, and those get too short after too few washes. Stafford undershirts are too thick. I have some colored Jerzees that I like, but those are a bit pricey to buy in bulk, so to speak. But I'm willing to bend.

agreed. the last pack of hanes undershirts I purchased shrunk down to about a size medium (I wear a large) and they seem to retain pit stains. yes, I do sweat but I was taken back by how much of my sweat stuck :thumbdown

These are very tempting, and not that much more expensive than Jockey or a comparable brand. Are these ever part of an online sale? I don't have a Nordstrom in my area.

I don't know for sure, but I'd assume that if they are on sale in the store they are also on sale online.

I have been through this same thing too, i have had hanes, stafford, polo, brooks brothers, jockeys, and probably some more, but i can't even compare them to my Calvin Klein undershirts they are absolutely the best quality i have been able to find.

I have been through this same thing too, i have had hanes, stafford, polo, brooks brothers, jockeys, and probably some more, but i can't even compare them to my Calvin Klein undershirts they are absolutely the best quality i have been able to find.

Thank you so very much, I too am suffering from poor quality goods and I am sooo tired of it.

I had alot of luck with the house brand at Macy's. The last ones I bought were Fruit of the Loom. I will be going back to the Macy's brand next time around.

Sam

I am sad to say that Hanes used to be a good brand, once manufactured in my home state. But no more. :thumbdown I will add that their underwear/briefs are even worse. I bought some about 2-3 years ago, I bought a size larger than what I was replacing but out of the package they were a good bit smaller. After a couple of washings I could no longer wear them, they were at least 1-2 sizes smaller (2-4 inches in the waist) smaller than advertised IMO and tight everywhere. :w00t: It was as if every stitch of cotton saved was going to the corporate bottom line.

Last edited:
Ive had banana republic, nautica, and polo recently. Im not satisfied with any of them.

What is a good brand where the neck doesn't stretch out?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I am sad to say that Hanes used to be a good brand, once manufactured in my home state. But no more. :thumbdown I will add that their underwear/briefs are even worse. I bought some about 2-3 years ago, I bought a size larger than what I was replacing but out of the package they were a good bit smaller. After a couple of washings I could no longer wear them, they were at least 1-2 sizes smaller (2-4 inches in the waist) smaller than advertised IMO and tight everywhere. :w00t: It was as if every stitch of cotton saved was going to the corporate bottom line.

CK are very nice material, but I feel like they are too short.
Jockey is a pretty good all around brand for the money.
Marks and Spenser store brand are very nice and a bit longer than typical under shirts.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Vests-Underwear-Mens/b/53899031

Hanes? ugh. Stretchy neck, thin material, poor fit.
Wait till we get our Hanes on you.

Whew... I thought it was just me. I wear the same size for the same reason so when they start to shrink they start to dig into my pits, won't stay tucked in, and the sleeves won't stay down. But the neck line sags and/or becomes wavy.

And ditto what StillShaving said about their skivvy shorts. I have spots of dry, itchy, chaffed skin on both sides of my hips from where the shrunken waistbands have been digging in/irritating me.

I had the same experience with Hanes and thought I only got a bad package of shirts. I bought a "bonus" package, but had to throw 1/2 of them out (huge neck opening and way too short in the body). It sounds like their new fit/finish is more than just an isolated QA problem. :thumbdown

I order mine from Land's End now - medium weight soft cotton, nice neck hem, long tails, roomy in the arm pits, tags moved from neck area to near the bottom hem. They don't shrink, stretch out of shape, or pull up out of your pants. :thumbup:

I had the same experience with Hanes and thought I only got a bad package of shirts. I bought a "bonus" package, but had to throw 1/2 of them out (huge neck opening and way too short in the body). It sounds like their new fit/finish is more than just an isolated QA problem. :thumbdown

I order mine from Land's End now - medium weight soft cotton, nice neck hem, long tails, roomy in the arm pits, tags moved from neck area to near the bottom hem. They don't shrink, stretch out of shape, or pull up out of your pants. :thumbup:

Now that is a nice endorsement.

Off to Land's End.

I've been using Jockeys for the past several years. In fact, I've got some that are 7 years old. Only two now I think. Had to clean house as most developed holes under the arm holes. Replaced them with RL Polos from Nordstrom's Rack for $15/3.

They had CK's for the same price, but I wear V-neck undershirts and they didn't have any. GRrrrrr. I love CK's shirts though. The cotton is so soft and nice. Got those at Costco. I'm digressing. I'll let you know about the Polos if this thread is still alive in a week.

Now that is a nice endorsement.

Off to Land's End.

I have some from Lands End as well. They seem nice, but I just haven't had them long enough to be able to gauge their longevity, which is why I didn't mention them in my prior post. It is nice to see an endorsement like that.

Ditto about Hanes. Fruit of the Loom is just worthless. I have had very good luck lately with BVD. Funny thing, the oldest white undershirts I own have kept up the best: Britches (not around anymore.)

Top Bottom