What's new

Im buying a bike with a internal gear hub, any suggestions or opinions welcome...

I'm plunking 2000 bucks on a Montague Shimano/internal gear hub bike, use a carbon belt line no chains. These need low maintains and last forever. I am new to the internal hub...has anyone owned such a bike and if so what's your reviews on it.

ALLSTON-DirectConnect-Open.jpg

M

member 119848

In 2011, I owned a VSF (german company) bike with such a belt, coupled with a Shimano Nexus 8. I had an extensive use with this bike. That was a trekking bike by the way.
The belt technology works, I find it as reliable as a chain. Harleys use such belts too!
However, belts do tend to loosen up a little with time, and need tension. On the bike that I had, the tension had to be done by ajusting the buttom bracket. I don´t know exactly why, but I always had gear shifting problems due to the lack of belt tension. My mechanic thought it was a design flaw, and was convinced that an ajustment from the rear axle would have been more stable.
I ended up selling this bike, and returned to a classic chain + internal gear hub. Never had a problem since then.
So... I guess it depends how the design of the tensioning system is. I love internal hubs (had a Speedhub Rohloff for trekking, now I have a 7-speed Shimano built on a Gazelle dutch bikefor commuting), and those hubs work great. But my experience with the carbon belt system hasn´t been so good.

M

member 119848

I also need to mention about internal hubs...
If you use them for commuting they're perfect. But looking at the style of your bike, if it´s a moutain bike, and your intention is to climb moutains and give them rough times... I don´t know if I would go for a Shimano 8-speed. Those hubs are reliable for "normal" use but not for abuse like Rohloff are built for.

I also need to mention about internal hubs...
If you use them for commuting they're perfect. But looking at the style of your bike, if it´s a moutain bike, and your intention is to climb moutains and give them rough times... I don´t know if I would go for a Shimano 8-speed. Those hubs are reliable for "normal" use but not for abuse like Rohloff are built for.
FABIAN, IM USE IT LIGHTLY ON ROAD. IM GETTING THE 11SPEED HUB SHIMANO. IM HOPING THE NEW BELTS ARE BETTER WITH THE TENSION ISSUES

In 2011, I owned a VSF (german company) bike with such a belt, coupled with a Shimano Nexus 8. I had an extensive use with this bike. That was a trekking bike by the way.
The belt technology works, I find it as reliable as a chain. Harleys use such belts too!
However, belts do tend to loosen up a little with time, and need tension. On the bike that I had, the tension had to be done by ajusting the buttom bracket. I don´t know exactly why, but I always had gear shifting problems due to the lack of belt tension. My mechanic thought it was a design flaw, and was convinced that an ajustment from the rear axle would have been more stable.
I ended up selling this bike, and returned to a classic chain + internal gear hub. Never had a problem since then.
So... I guess it depends how the design of the tensioning system is. I love internal hubs (had a Speedhub Rohloff for trekking, now I have a 7-speed Shimano built on a Gazelle dutch bikefor commuting), and those hubs work great. But my experience with the carbon belt system hasn´t been so good.
Rohloff seems a bit less coveted than the shimano hubs..supposely they louder and bit heavier.

M

member 119848

@alex2363 , the carbonbelt itself is not the problem, just make sure the tension is done from the rear axle, and not from the front (bottom bracket) where tensioning is very limited.
Other than that, carbon belts are great, and internal hubs too.
And about Rohloffs... yes, they are the Rolls-Royce of hubs. But they are harder to get serviced because most mechanics don´t work with them too often (even here in Germany). Shimano hubs are serviceable locally, worldwide.
Shimano hubs are well built and reliable. They can´t get a beating like the Rohloffs but in normal use situation they should last decades.

M

member 119848

Internal gear hub = protected gear box
+ if you protect the chain, or get rid of it (thks to a belt) you´re good to go nomatter what weather condition! :001_smile
Just for fun, here is a pic of my bike. My daily driver.
2156E235-4E8D-4CE5-BEF9-2D471349D244.jpeg

I have the Rohloff on my touring bike . . . a Bilenky. The internal hub is heavier, but bomb proof. I rode mine from Portland, Maine to Halifax, Nova Scotia. If I had only one bike, I wouldn't get internal hub. But they are fun.

Fabi are you in the northern EU?

Geez, Moots, I didn't expect to run into the type of shaving man who also rides a Moots & a Rohloff equiped Bilenky - impressive!

I think a belt drive bike has great potential and hope to own/ride one someday. I've ridden gravel races next to belt drives. One of my bikes is a SSCX (alu crux) and I enjoy the simple look and ride. About weight, I've learned that once a certain level of lightness is achieved, it's not the final word in performance. For example my MTB is full suspension and weighs a bit more than a hardtail (23# IIRC) but I never have felt that I need to pay for a bike diet (on this bike) because it's plenty fast. That said, I wouldn't necessarily want a 23# hardtail haha.

If one thing is as much fun as razors and shaving it must be bikes and riding, eh?

Oh man, you are talking my language! I don't know much about the belt drives though. A very cool custom frame/bike maker in Golden, Colorado, Spot Bikes, used to put belts on their mountain bikes, but I don't think they do anymore, not sure why.

Oh, and I've got a lot of biking miles on me, not as fast as I used to be.

Moots

Top Bottom