What's new

Im begging to think honing is my first and only true love

I still remember that day, approx 6 or 7 years ago, when i first put my cheapo wallmart pocket knife to a one dollar sharpening stone that i bought from harbor freight. As time progressed pocket knives led to kitchen knives and kitchen knives lead to straight razors. Not sure what it is but i enjoy honing so much that i often have this urge to pack up, get my *** on a plane to Japan and once there, find a sword polisher who would take me on as an apprentice and teach me all that he knows ( based on my limited research a decent living can very well be earned in this way).
My point in all this is i love honing. The sound of metal on stone is incredibly soothing and i cant seem to get enough of it. So much that i often will intentionally dull my blades just to have an excuse to bring out the stones and create, for lack of a better word, music. I've even gone as far as to record this music and set it as a ringtone. So im curious and i figured this would be a good place to inquire, am i alone on this or can any of you relate, perhaps not specifically but generally??

There’s something very primal about creating a sharp edge with steel and stone. Similar to making fire, the act of sharpening taps into a very deep and ancient part of the male dna.

I may be putting premature wear on my razors honing more than I need to but it's fun. Sometimes I'll go back to my 1k "just because", although I am making a conscious effort to cut back a bit for a while. At least not go farther back than an 8k unless I really need to.

It's fun working through setbacks and it's also fun getting little to no aftershave feedback with "my own edge".

At first it was confusing getting contradicting feedback with advice but ended up just figuring out what works for me and sticking with it. There are a gazillion ways to sharpen a razor on a rock and looking forward to exploring different stones in the future. Hopefully with ongoing satisfaction comes more toys/tinkering.

The egos and what seems like "infighting" within the honing community is hilarious as well. I genuinely love it.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
It's my Zen. An adult beverage, a killer playlist and an assortment of hones.....my troubles seem far away.

Wife calls it a hobby, I call it a necessary grooming procedure...it's actually therapy.

Top Bottom