What's new

I'm Back!

Been away from B&B for a year or so I think. Been hanging my hat other places learning and watching pros. The last time I was active here I was learning to S.R. shave with the help of Doc's Pass around box of straight razors. Now I'm the proud owner of 105 razors, restored and honed up by me. I've honed for a few other folks and have sent my razors to others for testing of my edges. I'm getting great reports back and now feel I'm doing the job right. I ve gotten so picky about an edge and you know you are your worst critic!

My shaving with a straight is perfected to the point I don't think about it, just shave and it always comes out a CCS and most the time a BBS. Its just takes practice. So those that are just learning, keep it up and don't give up.

So I thought I'd poke my nose in and this time post up a howdy to all you find wet shavers. I've been around, reading some threads when I had the chance as a lurker, but I will try to check in more often now. I work nights so my hours are a bit off from most.

So to those that remember me, HI again. and to those that don't, well you will see me around the straight razors areas of this forum more often now.

Been away from B&B for a year or so I think. Been hanging my hat other places learning and watching pros. The last time I was active here I was learning to S.R. shave with the help of Doc's Pass around box of straight razors. Now I'm the proud owner of 105 razors, restored and honed up by me. I've honed for a few other folks and have sent my razors to others for testing of my edges. I'm getting great reports back and now feel I'm doing the job right. I ve gotten so picky about an edge and you know you are your worst critic!

My shaving with a straight is perfected to the point I don't think about it, just shave and it always comes out a CCS and most the time a BBS. Its just takes practice. So those that are just learning, keep it up and don't give up.

So I thought I'd poke my nose in and this time post up a howdy to all you find wet shavers. I've been around, reading some threads when I had the chance as a lurker, but I will try to check in more often now. I work nights so my hours are a bit off from most.

So to those that remember me, HI again. and to those that don't, well you will see me around the straight razors areas of this forum more often now.
Welcome back. So, 100 plus razors. Is there a method to your madness?

M

member 119848

Welcome back. It states in your signature that you are a truck driver. Do you bring a straight when you drive across the country?
By the way, if you are truck driver in the US my guess it that your eyes must have seen gorgeous landscapes. All my love your way, America.

I have seen a lot ob tge road. From funny to gore. I did long haul trucking years ago, but now i get home most every night. Im the guy that you complain about being in the way when you go to the gas station. Im "the Gasman".

I drive a bomb around all night delivering fuel to stations. Then i go home at the end of the day. I got in a truck the first time almost 40 years ago and have driven over 3 million miles. But thats enough about me.

Here is a pic i happen to have of my razor box/cabinet...
20180413_213738.jpg

The cabinet has 18 drawers.

Thanks. Good to see someone remembers me. Ha.

And thanks for the comment on the cabinet. Im only showing half the drawers in the pic but the way i have it setup, it can hold 216 razors. But my 7 day, 14 day and 2 day sets are not in it.

Sitting down at the stones right now. Got a couple more to do before the nights up.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

And thanks for the comment on the cabinet. Im only showing half the drawers in the pic but the way i have it setup, it can hold 216 razors. But my 7 day, 14 day and 2 day sets are not in it.

Sitting down at the stones right now. Got a couple more to do before the nights up.
You impress me. Maybe I will learn to hone.

Sounds like you might have a razor for each day of the year, or at least close to it :)
1,2,3,. . ., 364, 365

Not enough for a full year everyday, but since I drive a truck and don't have to impress anyone with my good looks, I only shave every other day. So almost enough for a year. HA.

Learning to hone properly takes lots of time and dedication. Anyone can do it. But you really got to be able to understand what your doing. Be able to sit down and dedicate the time. And like me, I had Mentors to go visit and get one-on-one help. I use a 100X scope to see what I'm doing to the edge. And I'm so picky now that I get rid of things I see at that power when you wouldn't feel it. But I can't take it knowing its there so I work on the edge to perfection. At least as far as I can take it to perfection. I'm no Honemiester! I still run across one now and then I cant hone but they are far and few between now days.

Not enough for a full year everyday, but since I drive a truck and don't have to impress anyone with my good looks, I only shave every other day. So almost enough for a year. HA.

Learning to hone properly takes lots of time and dedication. Anyone can do it. But you really got to be able to understand what your doing. Be able to sit down and dedicate the time. And like me, I had Mentors to go visit and get one-on-one help. I use a 100X scope to see what I'm doing to the edge. And I'm so picky now that I get rid of things I see at that power when you wouldn't feel it. But I can't take it knowing its there so I work on the edge to perfection. At least as far as I can take it to perfection. I'm no Honemiester! I still run across one now and then I cant hone but they are far and few between now days.

I am just getting into SRs, don't know if I'll continue yet, waiting 'til 100 shaves to decide. Have a 30x / 60x loupe for Christmas as well as an USB microscope for checking edges. I'll always use occasionally regardless, but I currently get much better shaves with SE and DE, almost 30 shaves in.

Keep at it Clay. As the saying goes, after 100 shaves you will finally know what is going on to get a great shave. And as i say, after 200 shaves you will know you didnt really know as much as you thought you did at 100 shaves. :)

Top Bottom