What's new

I'm a convert, Hallelujah!

Okay, Purchased this one on the BST from Nicks&Cuts, She's a nice T.R. Cadman & Sons "Bengal" (I know some call it a Bengall, but this one hasn't any evidence of the second L stamped on the tang) 6/8 Extra Hollow Ground, with Cream Scales (possibly ivory? is there any simple way of telling?)
proxy.php

proxy.php

Sorry for the slightly crappy pictures, Only got a phone-camera, which doesn't do closeups all that well

Spent half the day yesterday polishing her up, half the day today getting her ready for a shave, Half the effort was resetting the bevel, given that I'd not got a hone coarser then my spyderco Fine, it took quite a while to get somewhere with a progression of wet-and-dry abrasive sheets, but get there I did, and oh my Goodness didn't she come up a treat, Took a squizzy at the bevel with my 20x loupe, and there's so much polish on the edge that I found it hard to focus on, nary a scratch mark on that smooth metal
Eh, I ramble, but I think I've fallen in love at first sight, lovely smooth shaver, Got a DFS without too much stropping and honing (once I got the bevel happening)
I'm a convert, I guess, to the vintage Steel razor, Oh well, SRAD has died down for a little while

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice work!! Those are good razors!

I love the Bengall I have, it's an excellent razor, so congratulations! And yes, every one that I've ever seen is spelled Bengall, so I can only assume that either the final l on yours has been worn away (which definitely happens, even when the rest of the stamp is visible) or was slightly misstamped to begin with (like if the pressure on the stamp wasn't applied evenly when struck, which would leave the final l very faint or non-existent).

As for the scales being ivory, you can be almost 99% certain that the scales you have are celluloid and not ivory. Not that ivory scales are unheard of, but to encounter them on a razor like this would be very, very, very unusual.

Anyway, congrats on a great razor and I hope you enjoy using it as much as I've enjoyed mine!

Top Bottom