What's new

I'm a cheap date!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@FarmerTan I need you over at our house, I've got a ground hog living under barn for longer than I've lived here [and he's huge ]. There is some minimum acreage for shooting things though which I think we are under (we are a bit under 3) but to be honest.. all my attempts at ground hog bribery have come to nothing so right now we have a detente :)

I love the idea of chickens, I am next to positive most people in our area use chickens for tick control with the added bonus of free food more than anything. We do have foxes and hawks (and owls?) in this area so the coops get a bit complicated as you have to protect from the sky and bury the sides to prevent borrowing, all told the practical upshot is we lazily mooch neighbors bringing by eggs :) :(

Ooops to your main point : Beer == good?
Our rooster does a good job of protection against Hawks during daylight hours. He makes a strange noise and his ladies either hide under pines or run into the pen.

I've read that the best way to catch a ground hog is to use a snow fence to "funnel" them into a live trap.

The thing that they supposedly will go into a trap for is musk melon/cantelope because they like the smell/taste.

The few I've trapped I caught going through a culvert on my property.

They are extremely cautious AND intelligent. Just like my wife!

FarmerTan

Ground hogs are funny things though! If you shoot and miss with a .22 they will stand up on their hind legs and look around for the source of the whistle of the bullet as often as not! Kinda makes a head shot easier.

As you have already noticed by now: I REALLY don't like ground hogs! Any time I have put one out of my misery I feel like a real man!

@FarmerTan I need you over at our house, I've got a ground hog living under barn for longer than I've lived here [and he's huge ]. There is some minimum acreage for shooting things though which I think we are under (we are a bit under 3) but to be honest.. all my attempts at ground hog bribery have come to nothing so right now we have a detente :)

I love the idea of chickens, I am next to positive most people in our area use chickens for tick control with the added bonus of free food more than anything. We do have foxes and hawks (and owls?) in this area so the coops get a bit complicated as you have to protect from the sky and bury the sides to prevent borrowing, all told the practical upshot is we lazily mooch neighbors bringing by eggs :) :(

Ooops to your main point : Beer == good?
Get you a couple of these if you have groundhogs and can't use fire power. Works wonders i say
20200810_190849.jpg

Ground hogs are funny things though! If you shoot and miss with a .22 they will stand up on their hind legs and look around for the source of the whistle of the bullet as often as not! Kinda makes a head shot easier.

As you have already noticed by now: I REALLY don't like ground hogs! Any time I have put one out of my misery I feel like a real man!
About 16 miles NW of me is a place we call Groundhog village that has 1000's and 1000's of groundhogs. Land owner has a range set up so people can site in scopes. No Charge just pick up all your brass.

357 snubbie vs pest? too much noise. 22lr rifle headshot works ok. Or if needed a shotgun ? (haven't tried this option).

I have seen a raccoon and possum....but in the city limits.... can't use your method.

FarmerTan

357 snubbie vs pest? too much noise. 22lr rifle headshot works ok. Or if needed a shotgun ? (haven't tried this option).

I have seen a raccoon and possum....but in the city limits.... can't use your method.
Lol, the snubbie wasn't my first choice!

We had just pulled in the driveway, and the bugger ran from behind my barn to the chicken coop, with my crazy/lovely wife in hot pursuit!

I saw him run under the coop, into a hole that wasn't there when we left the house.

The War Department stomped on the floor of the coop and he stuck his head out.

I honestly thought I had last loaded that thing with .38 "urban loads."

Nope! My wife and I were both deafened for a bit!

Lol, I'm glad I didn't know that I had .357's in it or I might have flinched!

FarmerTan

Had another Bud tonight.

Back to Hamm's when they are gone.

Wish they still made "Mabel, another Black Label, Mabel!"

Carling Black Label went the way of the Mabels, I guess. Gone, but never forgotten.

Wait, google sez Molson is still making Black Label up in Canadia. Old man Molson better not be making Mabel. If there are still Mabels in Canadia.

FarmerTan

Carling Black Label went the way of the Mabels, I guess. Gone, but never forgotten.

Wait, google sez Molson is still making Black Label up in Canadia. Old man Molson better not be making Mabel. If there are still Mabels in Canadia.
Back in my Wilder daze I paid more PER BOTTLE for the bottle deposit than for the beer inside the bottle when they went on sale!

Many a fine summer night spent sitting around a bonfire sipping cheap beers, lying about our conquests of maidens and blaming umpires for why we lost that days softball game!

Oh to be young and stoopid for just one more day! Ten foot tall and bullit prufe!

Recently bought a case of Budweiser. Beautiful can, all red.

Chose it over Bud Light because the can was more appealing, really.

Back before Covid I bought some Molson in long necks.

But before and during all that time I'd been picking up Hamm's.

Here's the deal. I drink one or two beers, or none, per day for my kidney stones. Seems to be working. Knock on wood.
But....... Those more expensive beers don't satisfy my taste buds like the cheap Hamm's.

Anyone else find the same thing?
Love Hamms beer! I quit buying the craft brews. They are too expensive and just not as refreshing as a cheap old can of suds. I usually just drink beer in the summer... Liquor the rest of the year.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
If there are still Mabels in Canadia.

HECK yeah! We have scads of Lillians, Vivians, Ediths and Mabels. A lot of them are in their 20s and 30s, too.

I guess Canadians were going that way while Americans were going after Kaylee, Chad and Dakota.

Gonna make nursing homes interesting when they get there, but I won't be around to see it.

O.H.

Satan Spawn:View attachment 1137296View attachment 1137319 Satan's Spawn and his Angelic Sister.View attachment 1137318Some feathered OCCASIONALLY producers.View attachment 1137314Free ranging for Emerald Ash Borers I hope.View attachment 1137311Former chicken murderer.View attachment 1137317Former vegetarian.View attachment 1137313 Leftover STAINLESS STEEL SCREW removed post mortem from what became soup's gizzard.View attachment 1137315
And my pretty much new best friend.

Lol, life on the farm.
proxy.php

Keep the cats away from your willy, otherwise, mistaken for a willy fish when your having a bath.

Top Bottom