What's new

Illinois razor strop # 136

Just purchased a barber set up from an antique store. Total price was $ 120 bucks inc shipping. In it was a Hess 44 (minty), a Dubl Duck satin edge ( good blade, broken scale), a Walker & Hall flag razor ( ok blade, scales had been replaced poorly with a used set), several unmarked stones (ok shape) , one Tonsorial Gem stone (minty in box w instructions sheet), one Eze-Lap diamond stone( dirty but cleaned up well), one Durham Duplex shavett ( in good shape), and one Illinois strop # 136. The strop I can’t find anything about, never heard of this number. It has horse hide and black linen, on back of linen is a solid black coating looks like shiny black leather that’s been well used. All surfaces have been used including the inside of hide. No signs of any paste or treatment. Anybody ever seen one before?

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Howdy and welcome to the forum!! I've never seen anything like that before either. Any chance you could post a picture? Sounds like you've scored a pretty nice lot there!

A169BEE4-32AD-43B7-BBCF-01216854E225.jpeg DD3D497E-2934-40B8-A19C-627D07CF2752.jpeg B006CA23-62AE-4BCA-8375-285C3EF1BABA.jpeg

Here is the pics of this strop the middle pic is the back of the linen. It has a couple nicks, but I have already used it with success.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Wow, that's in pretty nice shape. I can't even see any weave in the middle picture, could there be a backing on the linen? The linen is definitely charged at the factory with an abrasive. My only experience with a factory charged strop is a recently purchased Koken shell with the blue, sharpening strap as the second component. A lot of the blue abrasive coating transferred to the back of the shell. Hopefully someone else with more experience can chime in. I'd like to know more about this too. Cool score!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Welcome. I cant comment on the strop but I'd love to see a few pics of the stones.

F7895E53-C685-457C-A105-7EE64BE06951.jpeg 072629A3-BE1C-4338-8DBA-B8821623C28E.jpeg CDBD6E18-1E2D-4719-8E9A-14C677B3900E.jpeg 56FCF401-34FD-41F4-AC16-C8C5D4ABE4C9.jpeg AF0A484A-4F0F-4322-A5EF-6B43504F94A6.jpeg A6941BD9-2DDB-41BB-8BA1-53847DE961D1.jpeg 8FA4C70F-0473-4AA3-8A5B-9E50DFBBF36F.jpeg 71BAAB0A-8BF9-41B3-BE3E-070FB5A4F86B.jpeg Ok, here they are. Nothing special. I was going to bid on the stones, but when I looked closer, I noticed the Hess razor, you couldn’t tell what strop this was until I got it in the mail. It was “best offer” so we haggled and I paid about ten bucks more than min bid. Very happy anyway.

Nothing on this #136 Illinois? Never heard of one, no info on the inter webs. Maybe they only made this one, one and done. I have a one of a kind, super rare, strop. I’m feeling special!

Nothing on this #136 Illinois? Never heard of one, no info on the inter webs. Maybe they only made this one, one and done. I have a one of a kind, super rare, strop. I’m feeling special!

I have a number 50 Illinois two piece with linen/fire hose type and horse. Congratulations on your find.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Wow, my Google-foo even failed on this one. My best guess is the linen is backed with something, maybe suede? Have you used the linen yet? Really curious to hear how it works. I can't believe the lack of info on this. In the meantime, it's in great shape so.... ride it like you stole it!

Thank you for the research. Yes I use it exclusively now. All sides look like they have been used at one time or another, for various reasons. The linen side sounds like 70’s corduroy in the school hallway when you use it. Vip.....vip....vip. The leather side sounds like the waves gently washing the shore. Shhhhh......shhhhh.....shhhh. I’m going to take some more pics and upload them this afternoon. Show some more detail, maybe.

The guy who started Illinois razor strop companyson just emailed me:
Here are some comments about the 136 strop.
Cut from the butt (hind quarter) of the horse.
This section has a tight grain and special muscle section called
Shell cordovan on the underside.
Your strop was made to be used on the top grain side.
Vegetable tanning was done. Surfaces sanded, leather
Colored and then oils were worked into the smooth surface.
This helped create drag when stropping.
The back side was made from the same leather but
Some scratches in the surface made it necessary to
Emboss the leather and this made it better for
Sharpening. The straight edge, as it is used, gets fine,
Bent edges and these are straightened ands smoothed with
The use of the two surfaces.
As to number made and financial information, I can't
Answer other than this size was modest in cost and directed
To the home, not professional , user. Professional strops
We're 2 1/2 inched wide and 24 inches long. The shape of the
Horse butt made small sizes necessary. Without the handles,