What's new

I'll never retire.

Joe Paterno is coaching in Penn State in the Outback Bowl today at the ripe old age of 84. It seems like the guy can't go a week without someone asking him when he is going to retire and with him replying that he has no plan to retire. Well, Joe has it right, IMO. I don't ever plan on retiring as long as I am capable of working. From what I have seen, retirement is the quickest way to waste away to nothing both mentally and physically. I plan to challenge my body and mind until the day I die doing work that I enjoy. Perhaps it is what I do now. Perhaps it is something else. One thing I know is that I don't ever plan on sitting at home in front of the television squandering the remaining years of my life unproductively. So here's to JoePa and all those other geezers that people are trying to push out of the workplace! Keep doing what you love until the day you die! Anything less is a tragedy.

Right on!! The trick is to know what you can still do well and do it. The problem is that many occupations social structure don't let you adjust what you do accordingly. I guess that is when you change jobs to match you abilities and interests. With the aging of America and the coming population bust, professions, employers, etc. are going to have to make those adjustments. Early retirement is a surefire path to mental and physical decline, silly irrelevancy and depression. However, I also include as a new job those activities which provide the same stimulus as a "job" which may otherwise be considered a hobby, a volunteer activity, etc.

Probably the secret to the longevity of the Okinawan people.

In the Okinawan dialect, there is no word for "retirement". Instead there is another word, "ikigai", which translates roughly to "purpose" or "that which makes one's life worth living.

As a cop for 22 years needing 25 to retire, I can say it's a frequent subject we talk about a lot. We have a number to reach while everyone else has 65 etc. The thought being for us to get out, and allow younger guys into the field which is the right thing to do. You need young, in shape, fresh meat out there. That being said I notice how many people spend their retirement. Some of this is money, but some of this is laziness or personallity. When I leave the police dept I will work somewhere else, I have to. But when the real retirement comes, thats when I get to do what I want to do. So why waste that is what I can't understand. Depression, and being set in ones ways I guess factors in for some. Retirement does not mean sitting in the park feeding the pigeons by any means, it is what you make it.

Last edited:
I enjoyed my work life. For most of my career I was a professional and a manager of other professionals.

But I also have some strong interests in life, apart from my career and I wanted to have time to enjoy these interests.

I believe we only have so many years on this planet and to me, it is important to devote as much time as we are able, to family, work and pursuit of strong interests.

It's a balance....life....isn't it ?

I realize that some have only one interest...work. That's fine, but to me that would be limiting.

I enjoyed my work life. For most of my career I was a professional and a manager of other professionals.

But I also have some strong interests in life, apart from my career and I wanted to have time to enjoy these interests.

I believe we only have so many years on this planet and to me, it is important to devote as much time as we are able, to family, work and pursuit of strong interests.

It's a balance....life....isn't it ?

I realize that some have only one interest...work. That's fine, but to me that would be limiting.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think work is the most important thing in life nor should it be one's sole purpose, but I think most people embrace the myth of retirement as the chance to do all the things they never had time to do in life. In reality, a person needs to feel useful (or to have a purpose as Seeker stated) in order to make one's life meaningful. Everyone needs a break from work (that's what vacation and sabbaticals are for), but the idea that at some point one should stop being productive is a dangerous one that will inevitably lead to disappointment.

From a Judeo-Christian perspective, did you know that one of the Ten Commandments also commands us to work?

Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.
For six days you shall labour and do all your work.

Everyone seems to forget that second part. ;)

Nowhere in the Bible does God command us to retire and enjoys life's pleasures. It does command us to be useful for His purposes of which work is a big part.

It depends on the field. In my particular line of work there have been a rash of retirements over the past couple of years, and without exception the retirees after a few months have lost weight, seem more energetic, and most importantly they seem genuinely happy (something you definitely do NOT see much of at my workplace).

If I can manage to hold out until I can get a decent retirement package put together in another 15-20 years, I will be out of there quicker than greased lightning.

Probably the secret to the longevity of the Okinawan people.

Actually, ikigai is a standard Japanese word and there are plenty of ways to say retire in Japanese. Okinawan longevity is also something of a myth. There are a fair number of people who've lived to be a hundred, but younger generations have among the highest mortality rates in Japan. Also the poorest prefecture with the highest rates of unemployment.

As for me, I'll keep working until I keel over. I like what I do and I can't imagine ever having enough money to retire. What a perfect combination!

When I retire I plan to to put that "Hooter Inspector" ball cap to use, you can find me at a mall or beach near you!:laugh:

I'm reading this stuff and laughing my butt off. Our big brother society is trying to get us all to accept our declining economy so the "retirement" is really a myth and everyone should work until we drop. No different than everything else in this country we will all have to settle for in the future years.

I've been retired for 7 years now and it's the best thing in the world. You have unlimited time to do all the things you never had time to do while you were working and raising a family. If you spent your entire life just working to make someone else rich so they could retire high on the hog on your back and have no hobbies or interests or passion or didn't plan financially for it I feel very sorry for you. Retirement concepts are full of old wives tales put there by those who have an interest in never seeing you retire ever. Yea, all the stuff like you retire and quickly die or fade away, what a joke. Unfortunately in this day most guys work until the are too sick to work and yes they do die when they are forced out kicking and screaming from the workplace.

I'm reading this stuff and laughing my butt off. Our big brother society is trying to get us all to accept our declining economy so the "retirement" is really a myth and everyone should work until we drop. No different than everything else in this country we will all have to settle for in the future years.

I've been retired for 7 years now and it's the best thing in the world. You have unlimited time to do all the things you never had time to do while you were working and raising a family. If you spent your entire life just working to make someone else rich so they could retire high on the hog on your back and have no hobbies or interests or passion or didn't plan financially for it I feel very sorry for you. Retirement concepts are full of old wives tales put there by those who have an interest in never seeing you retire ever. Yea, all the stuff like you retire and quickly die or fade away, what a joke. Unfortunately in this day most guys work until the are too sick to work and yes they do die when they are forced out kicking and screaming from the workplace.

That's what I'm talking about!:thumbup:

If I still enjoyed my job, I might think differently. But I'm 18 months away from full retirement at age 56, and I can easily afford it. My wife retired yesterday. We can move back home where family still lives and the cost of living is lower, and the pace slower. But the overriding factor is my employer has been cutting back and making the place worse for years. They furlough us, did away with raises, and both watch and encourage people to leave without replacing them, straining everyone else who stays. As of 7/1/12, I'm happily gone. Had I ended up in a career I really enjoyed, etc. then I might be thinking more along the lines of the OP.

When I retire I intend to shave on every continent, see which one suits me the best and move there with all of those gold coins from that other thread I've been hoarding. :lol: my wife on the other hand has to work until she's 125 because the State Teachers Retirement System is trying to find new and creative ways to squeeze more years out of her and take away the money she paid in.

Wise words. I'm hoping to join you this year.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Joe Paterno is coaching in Penn State in the Outback Bowl today at the ripe old age of 84. It seems like the guy can't go a week without someone asking him when he is going to retire and with him replying that he has no plan to retire. Well, Joe has it right, IMO. I don't ever plan on retiring as long as I am capable of working. From what I have seen, retirement is the quickest way to waste away to nothing both mentally and physically. I plan to challenge my body and mind until the day I die doing work that I enjoy. Perhaps it is what I do now. Perhaps it is something else. One thing I know is that I don't ever plan on sitting at home in front of the television squandering the remaining years of my life unproductively. So here's to JoePa and all those other geezers that people are trying to push out of the workplace! Keep doing what you love until the day you die! Anything less is a tragedy.
The problem with most men is the only thing they have going for them is work- they have no outside interests. Work is their life. So, when they retire, they have no idea how to fill their time. Currently I am teaching myself woodworking, and am slowly building a library. When I do retire, I look forward to all the reading I have to do, and there is always carpentry. Oh, and travel will play a part, too. Oh, and I love astronomy, and plan to build a big assed scope. Even now, I do not bring work home, and don't take home to work. I keep them separate. My job can live without me (I am good at what I do, but so are a few others), and vice-versa. Work is a means to an end.

Fact is, most people won't have a choice in the matter.

Most retirement accounts are, at best, back to where they were around the end of 1998. That's ten years of earning power lost forever. Most people who want to retire won't be able to because they won't have saved enough, and the jobs that will be available for them won't be anything like the jobs they're doing now. When you're 70, unless you're CEO of a company or can pick up great consulting gigs, you ain't going to have that well paying job you have now. Chances are, your company will have laid you off long before that time to fill your job with younger, lower-paid people.

So, we might think we'll work to the end of your life doing a job we love, but unless you start a new career or have your own business, chances are you won't have enough money to even consider these possibilities and will end up with all the rest of us packing bags in the supermarket or fighting for 'door-greeter' jobs at Walmart. Don't think so? Take a look at some of the floorpeople or cashiers at your local Piggly Wiggly and tell me if these senior citizens truly look like they're doing so because they just love the idea of standing at a cash register all day for a little above minimum wage.

Jeff in Boston

Top Bottom