What's new

iKon Tech: details and first shave report.

This has been a really good thread. Thanks guys. I have an Ikon B1 Standard on the way. I believe that the standard head is a stainless version of the Tech. If not exact it is very close. I will be mindful of the steep angle recommendations as I have moved towards a shallower angle using my R41 and ATT R2 razors. This has been a natural progression, not an intentional adjustment.

FOURTH SHAVE REPORT

I'm 31 shaves/days in now, and nine shaves/days in with my Phoenix 7075 handle.
upload_2017-6-1_12-13-2.png

As per my third report, this is a WONDERFUL razor, I love it! :001_wub: In fact, after one solid month, I have to say that it's my FAVORITE RAZOR (and that's saying a lot!).

For me the Phoenix aluminum handle is THE perfect match for this great razor.

Although I could happily use only the Tech from now on... I'm going back to my neglected loved ones for a little while.

Thanks for the shave report 1Cal!
That's a fine looking razor head, and that handle is great!
They are on my want list.

Ordered myself a 7075. Was up in the air aluminum v titanium but high hopes based on your report.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This has been a really good thread. Thanks guys. I have an Ikon B1 Standard on the way. I believe that the standard head is a stainless version of the Tech. If not exact it is very close. I will be mindful of the steep angle recommendations as I have moved towards a shallower angle using my R41 and ATT R2 razors. This has been a natural progression, not an intentional adjustment.
Ikon B1 Standard was delivered and it is going back. I noticed within a minute of opening the box that the safety bar is visibly bent. Waiting to hear from the vendor with return instructions.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm continuing my iKon Tech (IT) journey and really enjoying it.

Rudy's so right about the IT being much more rigid than the R41. But after following @rabidus' posts on rigidity I thought maybe I could improve the IT further.

Tonight I loaded one (20mm wide) shim between the baseplate and the blade:
View attachment 790089

Wow! Really good. An even better shave! I'm impressed rabidus, thank you. :thumbup:

I'll continue with the single shim for a week or so, then maybe consider more... watch this space! :laugh:

I stumbled upon the pic below in Google and looking at your picture of blade exposure w/shim vs what shows in this pic, your razor appears to have much less blade exposure. I dont know how long this razor has been on the market, but I'm curious if the design geometry has changed.

p52FnFh.jpg

your razor appears to have much less blade exposure. I dont know how long this razor has been on the market, but I'm curious if the design geometry has changed.
No geometry change - I have a Tech from the original run and or looks just like Cal's.

If you look at the pic you linked, it was not taken perfectly straight on of you look at the handle. The exposure in that pic is exaggerated because of the angle the pic was taken at.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yes I know what you mean, but to get an accurate view of blade exposure, you wouldnt be looking in the same plane as the handle, you'd be looking at the pinch point between base plate and head and how much blade edge protrudes from them. The focal plane in both pictures is different. I dont know, maybe I'm seeing an optical aberration.

I agree. My point about the handle was if you look at the handle, you'll notice the razor is rotated and tilted - the proper angle would have the alignment pin closer to the handle centerline, but still offset a bit as you stated.

BLADE EXPOSURE CHAT

I don't have pics of them all, but I do know my razors quite well. Of my small collection the blade exposure increases thus:

1. Fatip Piccolo Mk2
2. Mühle R41 (2013 version)
3. Fatip Piccolo Mk1
4. iKon Tech

I bought my iKon Tech another present which landed today. A Phoenix 7075 Aluminum handle:
View attachment 791384

Its vital statistics are:
Weight: 21.8g
Diameter: 12.6mm
Length: 82.3mm

Although it's longer than my normal preference it feels absolutely wonderful with the Tech. The lightness after the MR11 came as a small shock, but in a good way. On my first shave with it (just) the nicer feel and lighter weight disappeared in seconds to the perfect "I didn't even notice it." I'll be writing a "thank you" note to Phoenix for sure.

I'll post my shave report next...

The Ikon Tech is my favorite razor. I recently tried my old fave - R41-13 and left me underwhelmed and thinking of getting rid of all my other razors.
I started with the MR11 on the Tech and did not care for the handle. I tried a couple of lighter options and ended up using the cheap Perfecto handle, which comes in at 24g.
That Al handle looks very nice! I will have to look into it. Thanks!

SOTD_020917.JPG

I started with the MR11 on the Tech and did not care for the handle. I tried a couple of lighter options and ended up using the cheap Perfecto handle, which comes in at 24g.
I like the look of your Perfecto handle which I'd seen in some of your previous posts... but the handle is just TOO LONG for my taste.
That Al handle looks very nice! I will have to look into it.
I'm definitely loving everything about the Phoenix Aluminus Bomb Tip handle. Mine is the 3¼" version. But if you prefer longer handles their 3½" version is 2g heavier coming in at 24g (exactly the same weight as your Perfecto).

Keep us updated Jaidmaster. :wink2:

I like the look of your Perfecto handle which I'd seen in some of your previous posts... but the handle is just TOO LONG for my taste.

I'm definitely loving everything about the Phoenix Aluminus Bomb Tip handle. Mine is the 3¼" version. But if you prefer longer handles their 3½" version is 2g heavier coming in at 24g (exactly the same weight as your Perfecto).

Keep us updated Jaidmaster. :wink2:

They are quite reasonably priced. Not sure which length, but leaning toward the shorter one. I will have to experiment a bit with short light handled options before deciding. I can make my center punch handle pretty short taking out the center section. I always seem to end up gripping closer to the head, even with longer handles. Ha!
Glad you are enjoying the Tech!

I'm using the Perfecto handle on mine. The balance is great, grippy knurling, and the flare allows for proper finger positioning. I've been shaving with it for 7 months using PolSilvers mostly and I don't think I can do better.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting thread, gentlemen. Thanks for all the great information on the Tech, and various other related matters.

I have a Tech in transit and have to determine which handle to use. I'm considering starting off using my iKon Bulldog but haven't decided. At least one of the handles mentioned in this thread (the PAA aluminum handle) seems to now be unobtanium. Why don't I just buy everything when it's available and consider I might want it?

proxy.php

Beach house on the way, too. Along with the PAA Evolution in SS which I thought about ordering back then.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Interesting thread, gentlemen. Thanks for all the great information on the Tech, and various other related matters.

I have a Tech in transit and have to determine which handle to use. I'm considering starting off using my iKon Bulldog but haven't decided. At least one of the handles mentioned in this thread (the PAA aluminum handle) seems to now be unobtanium. Why don't I just buy everything when it's available and consider I might want it?

proxy.php

Beach house on the way, too. Along with the PAA Evolution in SS which I thought about ordering back then.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Wow. The Ikon Tech and PAA Evolution in stainless are two of my absolute favorite razors. If you're at all like me, you'll love them!

I thought they were both out-of-print. How did you find them?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wow. The Ikon Tech and PAA Evolution in stainless are two of my absolute favorite razors. If you're at all like me, you'll love them!

I thought they were both out-of-print. How did you find them?

You misread what I wrote. The PAA Evolution is a package deal with the beach house.

upload_2018-7-7_17-42-41.png

The Tech is available. Link. My guess: They have a few heads and are getting rid of them. As far as I know these are the only new Techs available anywhere; I've looked a lot.

Read the questions and the vendor's answer to the second question.

If a nice PAA Evolution DOC shows up at a good price I'd jump on it.

Same with a beach house at a very agreeable price.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You misread what I wrote. The PAA Evolution is a package deal with the beach house.

View attachment 896166

The Tech is available. Link. My guess: They have a few heads and are getting rid of them. As far as I know these are the only new Techs available anywhere; I've looked a lot.

Read the questions and the vendor's answer to the second question.

If a nice PAA Evolution DOC shows up at a good price I'd jump on it.

Same with a beach house at a very agreeable price.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Got it. Interesting that Fendrihan thinks the open comb version is more "aggressive" than the straight bar. I'd not heard that before. Has anyone tried the open comb? If so, does it seem more aggressive than the Ikon Shavecraft Tech to you?

Top Bottom