What's new

iKon Tech: details and first shave report.

Just saw your review, Cal. Good pictures and measurements! :thumbup:
Thank you Grant. :001_smile
Based on your blade exposure picture, the razor head looks very aggressive and efficient because it looks like the safety guard doesn't do much. You did mention how the razor head was very efficient and you got a BBS shave, which would be consistent with my impression that the operator must be very skilled to use the iKon Tech well. Is this a fair assessment?
I don't know about "very skilled" but I do my best to make every shave a learning experience (in a relaxed sort of way). I may get "very skilled" one day, who knows? This hobby for me is about enjoying the journey rather than looking for a destination like "very skilled" or whatever (I don't want to be the kid in the back seat shouting "Are we there yet Dad?").

Some possible advantages I have are:
I'm a natural "steep angle" shaver (i.e. riding the guard rather than "shallow angle" riding the cap). To shave this way I have to be aware at all times.
I've always treated every razor I've used (no matter its reputation) with respect (razors are SHARP kid, di'n'tcha know?).
I do occasional "practice runs" with The Coach (pictured here beside my Mühle R41):
upload_2017-5-4_1-40-58.png

And of course shaving "steep angle" with The Coach which has no guard tends to keep one on one's toes.

In other words, I think your assessment is too generous Grant. I intend keeping my SWB (Shaving White Belt) nice and clean... so it will never become a Shaving Black Belt.

Sorry, TMI huh? :001_rolle

Thank you Grant. :001_smile
Some possible advantages I have are:
I'm a natural "steep angle" shaver (i.e. riding the guard rather than "shallow angle" riding the cap). To shave this way I have to be aware at all times.

Your natural shaving method seems to match your iKon Tech very well. If I were to use the iKon Tech, seeing how I try to match the natural shave plane angle but favor the cap if the going gets tough, I'd probably look like I shaved my face with a saw.

I intend keeping my SWB (Shaving White Belt) nice and clean... so it will never become a Shaving Black Belt.

Sorry, TMI huh? :001_rolle

Most importantly, particularly looking at that devette, it won't become a red belt in the traditional barber pole sense... :death:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Sweet review. Again, I want another razor!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Sweet review. Again, I want another razor!

Me too! I'm liking Cal's reviews on the Ikon Tech. It's the acquisition and discovery that keeps the journey fascinating. Having said that I just got a new razor yesterday that I haven't tried yet! :blush:

Now I want one ShaveCraft Tech too. I have a terrible period of RAD :07:.
+1... though maybe I wouldn't call it terrible... It's like my birthday comes several times a month! lol
Again, I want another razor!
Me too!
It's the acquisition and discovery that keeps the journey fascinating. Having said that I just got a new razor yesterday that I haven't tried yet! :blush:
:laugh: Ya gotta laugh at all this B&B RAD and razor purchasing. It's kinda like a bunch of alcoholics going on a bender. :devil:

ISO decent handle. 110g stainless steel handle with a 25g head is just dumb.
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
[emoji23] Ya gotta laugh at all this B&B RAD and razor purchasing. It's kinda like a bunch of alcoholics going on a bender. [emoji317]
I don't have a problem *hiccup*

May 5: Shaving With the "Other" Tech

Lather: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore
Brush: Zenith B07-EURO bleached boar (24/57mm)
Razor: iKon ShaveCraft 104 "Tech"
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum [20]
Balm: Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic Post-Shave Balm

Inspired by @1Cal's new iKon Tech, I decided to break it out for today to show my support. It's one of the razors already in my main rotation, so I didn't have to look farther than the medicine cabinet.

I still think this razor has the most blade feel of any of my razors (except the DEvette, or course ;-), beating out the Muhle R41. Unlike the flappier R41, the Tech holds the blade very rigidly, giving a completely different shave sensation.

Still searching for the perfect handle for both the iKon Tech and R41. Today I tried the iKon OSS handle and quickly went back to the Maggard MR1 - the OSS is too fat and heavy. The MR1 is close to perfect, but I want something more like my Barbasol; about 1 mm thicker and 5 mm longer than the MR1. Supposedly the discontinued Maggard MR20 was an almost perfect match.

Still searching for the perfect handle for both the iKon Tech and R41. Today I tried the iKon OSS handle and quickly went back to the Maggard MR1 - the OSS is too fat and heavy. The MR1 is close to perfect, but I want something more like my Barbasol; about 1 mm thicker and 5 mm longer than the MR1. Supposedly the discontinued Maggard MR20 was an almost perfect match.
My Maggard MR11 handle landed today. :001_smile
upload_2017-5-8_15-58-22.png

Its vital statistics are:
Weight: 61.4g
Diameter: 12.4mm
Length: 80mm

As you can see by the pic, I prefer slightly shorter handles. But the MR11 was the shortest one I could find (barring the fun MRT which I already have). The other handles in the pic are (L to R after the MR11 and the MRT) Knockout Bakelite, Gillette Fat Tech brass, Fatip Piccolo brass, and Phoenix Bakelite.

I'll be shaving with the iKon Tech on its new MR11 handle this evening. I'll give my second iKon Tech shave report after tomorrow evening's shave.

SECOND SHAVE REPORT

I'm eight shaves/days in now, and two shaves/days in with my MR11 handle.
upload_2017-5-10_14-27-45.png

What can I say? This is a WONDERFUL razor! :001_wub:

It simply gets better with each use. Well in fact the razor's perfect; it's the operator that's getting better at using it each time. I can honestly say that this is the most efficient razor that I possess... and at this point in time I can see my R41 getting very little further use.

I find the MR11 handle to be a great match for the iKon Tech. It checked all the boxes for "the perfect handle"* for me; i.e. I don't notice it while shaving. This was a surprise because I really like using Bakelite handles, and the MR11 is ≥ six times my Bakelite handles' weight. I was also surprised that the little bit of extra length didn't get in the way at all.

Finally, I like this razor so much that my pining for a Phoenix DOC Evolution has dwindled to nearly zero.

* This refers to perfect "in use." I would like a handle that scores all the same points as the MR11 but matches the head in a more aesthetically pleasing way. (Ah, the woes of a perfectionist. :001_unsur)

I still think this razor has the most blade feel of any of my razors (except the DEvette, or course ;-), beating out the Muhle R41. Unlike the flappier R41, the Tech holds the blade very rigidly, giving a completely different shave sensation.
I'm continuing my iKon Tech (IT) journey and really enjoying it.

Rudy's so right about the IT being much more rigid than the R41. But after following @rabidus' posts on rigidity I thought maybe I could improve the IT further.

Tonight I loaded one (20mm wide) shim between the baseplate and the blade:
upload_2017-5-19_2-33-21.png

Wow! Really good. An even better shave! I'm impressed rabidus, thank you. :thumbup:

I'll continue with the single shim for a week or so, then maybe consider more... watch this space! :laugh:

I am not able to take it anymore! After all the praise for this razor I will try to get one. I already have posted at BST. I would need to get an anti-RAD shot :a16:.

I already have posted at BST.
I wish you the best of luck with that engblom. :thumbsup:

My original request in the BST went down like a lead balloon (I'm in the UK). I was fortunate to be able to purchase from iKon (in the US) direct as their UK supplier was (and still is) out of stock. Now I see that iKon themselves are out of stock... even the incredible Maggard's are out of stock!

I am wondering if this is going to become a rare collectors item. :001_unsur :crying:

I have the PAA DOC Evolution Aluminus, so not terribly tempted by the iKon Tech, but wouldn't mind trying one.

The Aluminus bests the R41 in efficiency for me, but I also need to be more careful with it. Still, it's practically a one pass BBS razor. Haven't checked it against theRapira razor head, but from memory, I think the Aluminus would still win in effeciency.

I wonder how the Tech would compare to the Aluminus, though.

I wonder how the Tech would compare to the Aluminus, though.
In post #20, Scott (who has the DOC Evolution Stainless Steel) said this:
Yeah, the blade sort of hovers out there in outer space. It really is unique among my collection. The PAA DOC Evo in stainless and Le Coq cage comb are also quite blade-forward, but not like the Ikon Tech, on my face.

Top Bottom